This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

N6 engine in a 8070

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(oh) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: N6 engine in a 8070
    Posted: 29 Dec 2023 at 8:17pm
Good evening. I wanted to post this in the knowledge base side of the forum but for some reason it won't let me post there. I have an engine out of a N6 that I want to put into an 8070. I know I will have to switch components, mounting plates, so on and so forth. The plan is to set the two engines side by side to see what all will be needed. My main question is what will be the things that are not obvious that need changed? Just trying to save my self some headache/learning on the fly moments from guys that have already done this. 
When your working on something how does it always seem that merphy's law come into affect?

Wide open, Untill you see God. Then Brake
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2023 at 1:39am
1982 model year is where they went to the Bosch M-100 injection pump. 1981 and older is the Stanadyne/RoosaMaster pump. So, it depends how many changes you actually are going to make. Personally, I don't believe in changing the front engine plate UNLESS I have to. Make yourself a couple of angle iron brackets to bolt to what is there and use gr 8 bolts and washers and locknuts and save yourself a lot of work.

Edited by DrAllis - 30 Dec 2023 at 6:36am
Lynn Marshall View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2023 at 11:12am
I've done these swaps multiple times over the years. I have always went to the trouble of switching the front plate. I've done more of the 301 engines, so usually, I needed the front plate for the hydraulics pump drive. On the 426,I like to use the tractor oil pump and pan. Fuel system differences can determine a few things. If the 8070 pump is working well, then I would probably reuse it plus the lines and Bosch injectors. You may want to keep it original, but personally, I would rather have a well tuned and snappy Rossamaster pump and Bosch injectors if it was mine. Dipstick and location can vary depending on which pan is used. Flywheel obviously, rear plate maybe? Tractor front pulley and maybe some sending unit changes. Use the tractor oil bypass filter system and Air conditioning brackets too.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic