This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

my wc engine build-is it enough?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
NCWC View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCWC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: my wc engine build-is it enough?
    Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 1:15pm
I was going to have Barney cut my cam but he couldnt provide me with the lifter resurface that I was wanting when my cam was cut. I had Barry Cam service cut my camshaft, I had it done 3 years ago and it only cost I beleive 300 with the lifter resurface. Barney wanted 300 to cut the cam and no lifters. Nothing against the guy I spoke with him about it, and I just decided to go the other route.  Everybody says he knows his AC camshafts but at the time I was the builder on a budget so I went with the Barry grind and have been satisfied for 3 years. Pankley seems to know alot about Barney maybe you should get in touch with him. I beleive the 170 or 175 camshaft is a good cam to run also, alot of people tryed to get me to do that when I was building my engine. I couldnt find one at the time so I just had my cam ground. Are the D-17 pistons dished or the flat tops?
B,C,CA,RC,WC,Unstyled WC,WD,WD-45,B puller, WC Puller,WD Puller, WD-45 Puller
Sponsored Links

JM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 12:48pm
I am thinking about getting a cam from Barney Taylor, I wonder if it will make much difference on a stock motor. Do you think I will gain much over the stock cam?
NCWC View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCWC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 12:32pm
Sounds good to me what kind of camshaft are you running in it?
B,C,CA,RC,WC,Unstyled WC,WD,WD-45,B puller, WC Puller,WD Puller, WD-45 Puller
Dans 7080 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dans 7080 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 1:19am

Im sorry i forgot, I pull the 3500, 4500, 5500, and 6000 with my 45. I have pulled 6700 on a hard clay track with the 26" rubber and came in third out of 23 tractors! Everyone was impressed. Im glad it was'nt a 6800 i had no more room to hang any weight with 3 weight brackets on it and calcium free tires.

Dans 7080 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dans 7080 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 1:13am
I have a wd-45 that i pull, I have not touched the internals ot the engine so I am un aware of what has been done. I have done some other modifications to make it turn 2300rpm. It turns 45hp on the dyno but will out pull dads that turns 47 on the dyno. I have a set of 15.5-38s that i custom built for it it will handle them fine on a softer track, but on a good clay track there too much. I usually have my 14.9-26 (yes combine wheels) on it and it will trip the 3mph horn on the sled. My little sister has a wd45 with 14.9-28s with stock rpms and mine with shorter tires will out run it. Her's will not trip the 3mph horn wide open.
Kip-Utah View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kip-Utah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 11:02pm

We have been really successful with a similar combination. Unless you are running the lower 6.6:1 gears from a Hi-Crop or RC, you will probably get lots of speeding tickets in 3 mph classes if you run the 38" rubber. Kip

HANSEN'S OLD ORANGE IRON. Showing, Pulling, & Going!!
JM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 8:50pm
Plan on pulling in a 3 mph 4000lb. class . I have a 45 crank, nos allis d17 pistons sleeves, 45 carb with 175 venturi, heavy gov spring, head is at speed shop being rebuilt, vinson manifold. I am running 28 inch wheels to start and see what happens. I think I basically have built a d17 engine, 50-55 hp? Do you think thats enough for this class? We have a very sticky track, do you think it will pull with 38 inch wheels?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic