This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My Uncle's One-Sixty Restoration (Update 04-23-18)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Uncle's One-Sixty Restoration (Update 04-23-18)
    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 9:41pm
My uncle bought this tractor new in 1970 and I learned how to drive on it at the ripe old age of 5.  One of my earliest childhood memories is riding around sitting on the tool box bolted to the left fender.  I was 3 or 4 years old at the time.

When my uncle passed away, I hauled it back from West Virginia and parked it in my garage.  I'm starting the restoration and am still in the process of taking it apart.  Photos follow:

Shortly after coming off the farm:

Cleaning and disassembly progress:

Another day or two spent tearing it apart and it will be time to start cleaning and reassembling.

Fair Warning: I'm planning to do a thing or two that will likely upset the Correctness Police.

Edited by Flyer - 23 Apr 2018 at 10:15am
An optimist sees the glass as half full. The pessimist sees the glass as half empty. The engineer sees a glass with double the required capacity.
Sponsored Links

Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 10:01pm
What a WONDERFUL OPPORTUNITY!! 
A tractor with such a family history that you will be able to restore. 
Let me wish you the very best on this meaningful project.
Please let us know how it goes.
Good Luck!
Bill Long

ps:  You know if they made this unit in 1960 I may still be selling tractors.  Looks like just what we needed in our area.
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 7:03am
Wow!  That looks more complicated than a B!  Thanks for the pics.  Keep us updated and good luck with the restoration.

1940 B "Lucy"
1941 B w/ Woods L59 "Flavia"
1942 B w/ finish mower "Dick"
1941 C w/ 3-point "Maggie"
1947 C SFW w/ L306 "Trixie"
1972 314H
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 7:10am
That’s a nice 160 to begin with. My best friend has one and it is a fantastic tractor for its size. It’s his main rake tractor, over 6,000 hrs on it. The little Perkins keeps on going. He bales 20-25K square bales a year. Wish you the best on your restore. Keep the pictures coming.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 9:34am
Originally posted by AC720Man AC720Man wrote:

That’s a nice 160 to begin with. My best friend has one and it is a fantastic tractor for its size. It’s his main rake tractor, over 6,000 hrs on it. The little Perkins keeps on going. He bales 20-25K square bales a year. Wish you the best on your restore. Keep the pictures coming.

In my opinion, that tractor doesn't need to be restored.  Sheet metal is straight and solid and the original paint looks good too - Very hard to find one like that.  If it were me, I would just degrease everything, fix any leaks and only paint the rims.  Some good car wax could freshen up the paint on the hood and fenders.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Dandan111 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dandan111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 9:54am
Clean tractor. Is that a 65 mustang hiding in the background on a lift?
Flyer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by DSeries4 DSeries4 wrote:

In my opinion, that tractor doesn't need to be restored.  Sheet metal is straight and solid and the original paint looks good too - Very hard to find one like that.  If it were me, I would just degrease everything, fix any leaks and only paint the rims.  Some good car wax could freshen up the paint on the hood and fenders.

I'm not doing this because I thought it was in rough shape.  I'm an electrical engineer by trade and spend most of my time building computer models for industrial power systems.  The tractor project does two things for me: 1) It gives me a chance to use something larger than a 7/16" wrench without having a union grievance filed against me and 2) spend some time re-living some old memories from the farm.  I fully recognize that I will have a lot more financially tied up in this thing than I could possibly sell it for but the fun I'm having working on it is well worth it to me.
An optimist sees the glass as half full. The pessimist sees the glass as half empty. The engineer sees a glass with double the required capacity.
Flyer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Dandan111 Dandan111 wrote:

Clean tractor. Is that a 65 mustang hiding in the background on a lift?

Good eye!  It's the other project my friend has going in his shop.  I'm not sure if it's a '65 or a '66.  I'm a Chevy guy and always had trouble telling those two years apart.
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 4:12pm
Flyer; Great project I had a MF 230 with that same engine and they are a fuel efficient little power house. and as far as I'm concerned go ahead and fix/repaint/modify to your hearts content.
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 4:34pm
Very good pictures. I don't think we ever had a 160 tear down photo shoot.
My favorite part is the engine to bell housing adapter casting.  Allis-Chalmers must have demanded a water cooled Perkins, told Renault to get rid of that air cooled German diesel. Ironic that 15 years later there are German diesels all over at the old Allis dealers.

My 160 is letting rust particles into the fuel filter bowl. Maybe it is time to line the tanks.
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 8:15pm
Good looking tractor. Back in September, I met a man and his son at the Eagleville tractor show in TN. They each had a nicely restored 160 like yours. 1974 models. I never seen a 100 series that small before, only 170 and up. They were for Alabama and they told me that the smaller ones were not very common in the south. I guess that's true. They are sweet looking little tractors though, good luck with it.
Flyer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 6:43am
Thanks, everybody.  I'm using the digital camera as a notebook to use for putting it back together.  I've taken over 100 detail photos so far.  I plan to add pictures here as I go along.
acjwb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acjwb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 10:24am
What part of W Va did your uncle live in and do you know the dealer he bought it from?
Flyer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 11:07am
Originally posted by acjwb acjwb wrote:

What part of W Va did your uncle live in and do you know the dealer he bought it from?

The farm is in Marlinton, WV.  The tractor was purchased from the dealership on US-219 in Lewisburg.  It appears to go by the name of Boone Tractor now.  It was called Greenbrier Tractor back in the day.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 8:57pm
I've gotta ask, why in the hell did you cut the loader supports? They simply unbolt from the frame. 
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 9:40pm
"It's your tractor, you can do what ya wanna!"

Edited by JohnCO - 04 Dec 2017 at 9:40pm
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Flyer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 6:52am

I've gotta ask, why in the hell did you cut the loader supports? They simply unbolt from the frame. 

I don't have the loader and I'm not putting the frame back on the tractor.  My uncle somehow managed to sell the loader without the frame.  I don't know what kind of a deal he struck for that one.  All I know is I came back from a year at college and the loader was no longer stashed in the shed next to the hay rake.

I'm using the loader frame as additional support points while the tractor is split.  Seems a lot more stable than a single point under the transmission.  We cut off the front half of the loader frame to get it out of the way.  Once the engine and front frame rails are back in place, the remaining loader frame pieces get removed.
Flyer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 7:37pm
Cleaning is progressing.  The big accomplishment for today:

Before:

After:

I was surprised to see they painted in there at the factory. 

HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 7:49pm
You have a great looking little tractor there. You will have a super looking little tractor when you get done. I hope you have as lot of fun with it. Good luck with her.
marion View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 9:56am
bought a d-15 with loader on it, was unable to give it away so I sold it to a guy in china
and kept one side of frame rail on tractor. Made a good step and handle to get on and off.
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 10:09am
Nice tractor!I have a Perkins in my 843 Bobcat and I love it. Have fun!
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 4:01pm
I am not familiar with these. Looks like about the size of a WD?? I didnt even know there was a 160! Great pictures and a family tractor too. Have a blast with the restoration work! It is work, and can be very daunting at times. Usually just prior to paint. Looking forward to your pictures as you progress. Any hints on the changes we can expect??? I have taken liberties with rim colors and moving over to alternators and 12 volt on some of my past WD projects. 
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Flyer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

I am not familiar with these. Looks like about the size of a WD?? I didnt even know there was a 160! Great pictures and a family tractor too. Have a blast with the restoration work! It is work, and can be very daunting at times. Usually just prior to paint. Looking forward to your pictures as you progress. Any hints on the changes we can expect??? I have taken liberties with rim colors and moving over to alternators and 12 volt on some of my past WD projects. 
Regards,
 Chris

Nothing too dramatic for changes.  The easy stuff to spot will be a little chrome here and there and I'm putting power-adjust wheels on it.  The biggest departure from factory will probably be the lights.  I'm going to try an experiment with LEDs and see if I can get them to behave the way I want.  I think my plan is sound but I still have to pick up a few more bits and pieces for a bench test before I start wiring the tractor.
BEK View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 7:21pm
I go for the early prewar tractors, but that is a good looking tractor. There's one down the the road from me, a 160 or 170, not sure?  But you are tempting me to go and find out. Again, keep up the good work on a cool tractor. - Brad
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 8:34pm
Hmmm. Planing to put some Mustang badges on it?
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 11:35pm
Your friend has some top notch equipment in his shop. That air compressor is a killer not to mention the bandsaw. Not harbor Freight! LOL!!
H Clark View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 9:48am
When I started reading this post I was wondering if that was where it came from. My grandpa bought a One-Sixty just like that one from Greenbrier Tractor new in 1969. My cousin still has it. I have a 160 that was originally sold at greenbrier tractor . My grandpa bought all his tractors at greenbrier tractor. That’s a nice tractor you have I hope one day to get my grandpas and restore it.
1960 D-12,1948 WC, 1973 160, 1977 175, 1984 6060
Flyer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by LeonR2013 LeonR2013 wrote:

Hmmm. Planing to put some Mustang badges on it?

I'm more of a P-40 nose art guy.  Something based on this is tempting:

Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

Your friend has some top notch equipment in his shop. That air compressor is a killer not to mention the bandsaw. Not harbor Freight! LOL!!

The air compressor was a project in itself.  He was looking for a way to stagger the compressor starts so both motors wouldn't be pulling inrush current at the same time.  I did a little more than that for it:

I put together a digital control scheme using some scavenged parts from an old project. I figure it was the least I could do since my tractor is taking up a chunk of his shop floor.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 8:53pm
Yeah,that makes my head hurt! I admire those who have learned that sort of thing and understand what it takes to make it function. I have an extra out of service(bad tank) compressor next to the new one and thought it would be neat to run both compressors to same tank but would have that same start up problem. I can live with it as is. LOL
Flyer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

Yeah,that makes my head hurt! I admire those who have learned that sort of thing and understand what it takes to make it function. I have an extra out of service(bad tank) compressor next to the new one and thought it would be neat to run both compressors to same tank but would have that same start up problem. I can live with it as is. LOL

Easy solution for you would be to use two pressure switches set slightly apart.  The only time you risk a double start is when you first turn the system on with pressure low enough to pick up both switches.  You can change which compressor is in "lead" by adjusting the pressure switches.

The system I put together prevents the compressors from starting within 5 seconds of one-another and switches the lead compressor on a regular basis to try and keep wear even between the two.  That's a little more than the minimum required to keep the circuit breakers closed.

Edited by Flyer - 31 Dec 2017 at 9:49pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic