This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My SIL has no brain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My SIL has no brain
    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 1:06am
SIL calls me up and says he was mowing and it made a loud bang and it stopped and now won't run. I asked if it had oil in it? No hesitation on his answer. Yes! I tell him I will take a look tomorrow when we are over there for the grandsons birthday party. An hour later he calls me and asks if I can meet him with my trailer at Home Depot because he is buying a new riding mower. Sure. I meet him there and he buys a new riding mower and I haul it home for him and I then haul his old rider to my house so I can look at it. Sure enough, he ran it out of oil and now it has no compression so it has either a broken rod or a hole in the piston. It WAS a nice old mower. Nothing fancy but it ran nice. Did I mention it was my back up mower and I gave it to him? He wants me to see if I can fix it so he can give it to his friend and his friend can just pay me for the repairs. I'm not sure I like that but told him I would look at it this winter as I have too many projects going on right now. Guess he wanted a new mower and he got his wish to the tune of $1700.00. He has more money than sense. Did I mention that this mower was the most filthy thing I have ever seen. I doubt he ever cleaned it OR checked the oil. Dumb a__.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 2:59am
sad...ain't it?
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 4:00am
 Well,,,I'm glad I DO NOT have any SIL's,,,,but if I did,, and they tried to pull thet chit on ole Joe,,,it'd prolly take several years before I could work it onto my list of things to do,,,,,We gots one of the boys that is sorta like that,,,he's ruined more cars than I care to remember simply cause he always believed it was somebody elses job to check the oil or the water,,,and after the 5th "It don't wanna start",,,,I gave up and he's had to go buy another car if he wanted any transportation. Sometimes you just gotta do "Tough Love" in order to save YOUR sanity,,,,,,sheeesh,,,,,
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 6:41am
His new mower is a Cub and as we were loading it he said "this is what you have right?". Nope. I got an orange one and a green one. Lord he is a goober.

I had that come to Jesus talk with both my daughters about checking their oil. I still change their oil for them if they supply the oil and filters and you can tell when draining the oil the difference between 5 quarts coming out of the pan and say 2 quarts. I told them they better start checking their oil or they will be buying a new engine. Seems to have worked as the last few times I check the oil level before draining it and it has been good.

I had the SIL's broke mower blocking my shop door and decided I needed to put it in the lower building at the bottom of my back yard. No problem I will just put it in neutral and coast it down there. He also failed to tell me it had no brakes. I looked like Buster Keeton trying not to kill myself as it raced down the hill. I finally jammed it into gear and it skidded to a stop. Had to change my underwire after that.😡
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 7:03am
He He, last time I checked the oil in the grand son's RAV4 tat stick was clean as a whistle.  Nothing touching it.

That little abused car was tough as nails.

Last time the neighbor had problems with the walk behind mower shooting craps on a hill side, it has a Honda motor don't you know.  So instead of working on it I told him to either clip the low oil kill wire or dump some oil in it.  His pop replied that it was a Honda and they do not use oil.  Wink  Later down the road I noticed that it was running again.  Pop sheepishly noted that they had to dump some oi in it.  Confused

Edited by Dave H - 01 Jul 2019 at 7:08am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 7:24am
Have gotten that call from Sis in law's Grand daughter. She called my Sis in law who told her to call me on her mower. Drove 50 minutes to get there, brand NEW bottle of crap store oil sitting in the floor and FRESH oil over full on the stick but no resistance when pull rope. She looked at me, said it was running fine then popped and she added oil as she always did but it wouldn't start THIS TIME. Five year old mower, NEVER had a oil change but leaked and she let it run out until lost compression where the last of ?? times did it in. Says something of the old Briggs engines. Then looked at her seven year old car. 20,000 on the sticker since last oil change AND Two+ Years, and as been noted NONE on stick, had to add Two quarts, then scolded and sent her to oil change shop. Her excuse "was SO Expensive" so asked her how much in the bank to replace a engine or buy another car? Deer in Headlights look came back with crickets in background. I WILL NO Longer help those that will NOT help themselves.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 8:59am
I usedta have a brother like that. Dad would tell people “If it aint proof don’t let the oldest one borrow anything. He’ll run the wheels off of a steel wheeled tricycle.” I was always taught to treat something that belonged to someone else better than your own things and earned a reputation of returning things in better condition than when I borrowed anything.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 9:34am
My BIL bought a brand new car and ran it ~70,000 miles without changing/checking the oil. You all know the rest of the story......(and it wasn't paid for when things turned ugly!)
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 10:47am
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Says something of the old Briggs engines..

This one was an old Murray with a 12.5hp Briggs in it. Nothing fancy but got the job done. I looked up on the net for parts availability and was surprised to find most internal parts were still available. At least he didn't blow up one of the tractors like he could even figure out how to start one.😜
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 12:59pm
I repaired the SIL's mower deck, couple spindles and bearings.  Thought I wood freshen the paint up while it was off and all cleaned up.  It was for  really nice old Monkey Wards withe a cast iron B&S in it.  When I picked up the deck I looked at the oil and suggested he change it.  When I took the deck back he had not changed the oil.  I really impressed on him what a great machine he had and he should change the oil.  About a month later I got a call that they wanted to know if I could pick up a mower and take it to their house.  The old one wouldn't run.  And I doubt very much if he changed the oil in the new one he got!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 1:05pm
A friend of mine used to have a lawn mower repair business in high school and college.  When he sold a new or used mower he would always tell the buyer about changing the oil and to check it every so often.  He was amazed at how many people said "You have to put oil in it?  This was in the lat '60's early '70's, back in the days when the engine ran until it ran out of oil, no safety switch. 
I was just reading a post on another forum about a Cat 797 off road hauler that put a rod through the block at 7,500 hr.  The Cat rep asked to see the maintenance record on it.  Seems there wasn't one.  The gold mine had several units bought at the same time and somehow this one never got a record book.  It always had oil as that was checked when it was refueled but as it was run 24/7, nobody noticed it never came in for service.  The oil filters were packed with crud and had been for some time.  The new engine was well over $100,000 plus freight to who knows where and the couple weeks of down time.  Most everything was flown in to the mine but the engine was too heavy for any plane that could land at the site. 
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
festus51 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festus51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 11:35pm
I gave my daughter and SIL a used but good BCS garden tiller for them to us because I was getting tired of gardening.  A year later I go to their house and I see the tiller sitting outside and tore all to sh&t.  I told them I would take it home and fix it.   I still have it.

We the unwilling Led by the unqualified Doing the impossible for the Ungrateful
GARY(OH/IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY(OH/IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 2:04am
My EX BIL buys a new riding mower, some cheap basic thing and blows the engine first Sat. morning use. Apparently the drain plug was loose and vibrated out so he lost all the oil in the yard and BANG.
Same idiots that bought a pony when they live in town and keep it in the garage on a concrete floor. Pony finally dies from whatever. They want to bring it to my farm for burial. A hand dig. I said send to fertilizer plant and they say no it was a pet. I say you never gave a damn about it when it was alive why care now? They thought I was a terrible person as usual. Wife lets BIL brings to farm to bury. Gets tired real quick and throws brush on pony and lights it afire. When I came home from work rib cage was all that was left. Ah those were the days!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 6:19pm

Well I tore into the engine today to see the damage and the news is not good. The crank needs to be turned but the undersized connecting rod is no longer available. Standard size is but the crank is also no longer available. I checked three different sites and all were the same. Going to stop at the small engine place near me and see if they ever have any used engines for sale, otherwise it gets a new repower of scrapped completely.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 6:32pm
 Hey Gary,,what brand and size mower is it? What about an engine from Harbor Freight?
 I have swapped engines from mower to mower as most of the engines have the same bolt pattern,,,but a quick measure and a good drill will fix that problem,,,Clap
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 7:59pm
The timing of this thread is spot on for what is happening with my SIL and her mower.

She called and wanted to talk to me but I was out of the house and talked to my son instead. She has a good sized zero-turn (60"?) for her big yard. 

She told my son that it wouldn't start and was spitting oil out all over when she tried starting it. I told my son "that doesn't sound good". He said "I told her the same thing".

This is the same lady who burned a belt off on this mower shortly after she got it not realizing that the discharge was plugged because the salesman bragged about how fast this mower could mow so she was mowing tall grass as fast as she could go. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 3:37pm
I just got in from listening to the neighbors John Deere. She started it up and I can hear rod knock and I said to shut it down so we can check the oil. She says oh I just put a bunch in it.🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄😬🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 3:43pm
Ron White said it best, you can't fix stupid
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 4:07pm
Hay Stan.

gee 2-3 tubes of JB Weld and you'll be 'up and running'....Wink

check local ads for 'dead rider' or 'rotted deck' units, might get good engine out of one, or even the parts. I've done that several times over the years.

I'm getting tired of fixin stuff for others..

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 9:50am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

Hay Stan.

gee 2-3 tubes of JB Weld and you'll be 'up and running'....Wink

check local ads for 'dead rider' or 'rotted deck' units, might get good engine out of one, or even the parts. I've done that several times over the years.

I'm getting tired of fixin stuff for others..

Jay

I may do better at finding a good used engine or mower this fall or winter when the demand is low. I did contact B&S and they gave me the current replacement engine model. Cheapest I can find new is $465 delivered to my door.

If I needed a second mower I would not hesitate to repower this one but I already have a backup. Daughter just got a promotion at work so a house may be next on her list and that means she might need a mower. Yeah I know I'm nuts but I just hate to junk this puppy.

I did consider a China Freight engine but they don't have a vertical shaft unit close enough in size.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 10:11am
Regardless price I will get I haul the junk to scrap more than not. Had two old mowers wife could NOT leave at MIL's house after she passed, both were junk, finally gave them to a kid that tinkers and he has one going using the other for parts for his own use. Another from Wife's Aunt's estate I hauled from the barn with all rubber and plastic off got $20 for as scrap, was just glad be rid of it.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 10:20am
Great entertainment reading this today LOL
 My ex SIN was about the same(sure glad I can say ex). He let me use his beat up GMC 3/4 ton truck a couple times and I told him the rear end was growling. He said it had been rebuilt, but was junk again and just run it. I crawled under it and had to use a 3 foot cheater on a breaker bar to get the plug out and couldn't reach any oil with a 3 inch long piece of wire. I dumped a bunch of gear lube in and it quit making noise, but I didn't get to borrow it again. The front seal was leaking, so it was probably about out of lube by the time he rolled it and scrapped it out.
  Ya certainly can't fix STUPID, but you can get them out of your life, one way or another!
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
m16ty View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m16ty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 12:22am
Originally posted by GARY(OH/IN) GARY(OH/IN) wrote:

My EX BIL buys a new riding mower, some cheap basic thing and blows the engine first Sat. morning use. Apparently the drain plug was loose and vibrated out so he lost all the oil in the yard and BANG.
Same idiots that bought a pony when they live in town and keep it in the garage on a concrete floor. Pony finally dies from whatever. They want to bring it to my farm for burial. A hand dig. I said send to fertilizer plant and they say no it was a pet. I say you never gave a damn about it when it was alive why care now? They thought I was a terrible person as usual. Wife lets BIL brings to farm to bury. Gets tired real quick and throws brush on pony and lights it afire. When I came home from work rib cage was all that was left. Ah those were the days!

For some reason, I thought this was really funny. 

I've dug a hole for a full size horse with a backhoe, and even that is a job. Hole always looks huge until you try to stuff the animal in it. I just thought it was funny that he gave up and just burnt it.

I was one time called to help a friend bury a horse for his BIL. We carry his backhoe over there, and when we get there the whole family was there and everybody is almost inconsolable over the loss of the horse. We go out there and dig the hole. the horse had been lying out there dead for a couple of days and was getting pretty ripe. I suggested we just use the hoe to drag the horse into the hold but the family wasn't having it. I told them I wasn't handling that nasty thing, so some of the family members pulled it by hand into the hole. It kind of split open when they were dragging it into the hole and released it's juice and smell. Everybody started gagging, some people started waling, and one of the "pallbearers" puked. After all that and the horse was finally in the hole, we realized the hole wasn't big enough, with most of the legs sticking straight up out of the hole. Me and my friend discussed privately what to do, we finally settled on telling the grieving family to leave, and used the hoe bucket to pack the horse into the hole. Good times.      
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by m16ty m16ty wrote:

Originally posted by GARY(OH/IN) GARY(OH/IN) wrote:

For some reason, I thought this was really funny. 

I've dug a hole for a full size horse with a backhoe, and even that is a job. Hole always looks huge until you try to stuff the animal in it. I just thought it was funny that he gave up and just burnt it.

I was one time called to help a friend bury a horse for his BIL. We carry his backhoe over there, and when we get there the whole family was there and everybody is almost inconsolable over the loss of the horse. We go out there and dig the hole. the horse had been lying out there dead for a couple of days and was getting pretty ripe. I suggested we just use the hoe to drag the horse into the hold but the family wasn't having it. I told them I wasn't handling that nasty thing, so some of the family members pulled it by hand into the hole. It kind of split open when they were dragging it into the hole and released it's juice and smell. Everybody started gagging, some people started waling, and one of the "pallbearers" puked. After all that and the horse was finally in the hole, we realized the hole wasn't big enough, with most of the legs sticking straight up out of the hole. Me and my friend discussed privately what to do, we finally settled on telling the grieving family to leave, and used the hoe bucket to pack the horse into the hole. Good times.      

Oh that wonderful smell. There's been several times here I'll find a dead chicken I've missed for a day or two and the others have walked on it and pecked it until it's soft and juicy. Sure enough, soon as you grab a leg that thing will split open. I can usually handle the smell ok as long as the juice don't splatter on me.

Edited by thendrix - 13 Jul 2019 at 1:39pm
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 6:25pm
I hadda bury a dead mule, once, had the ASV RC 30, and a 30" post hole auger, hadda drill 3 holes, about 5' deep, drop in dead mule, and cover up with the bucket.  Good thing no one was around, as the feets was stickin up, about a foot under the surface...

Coulda been worse!

[TUBE]XbRjfsHzUNI[/TUBE]
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 6:53pm
We always drug our deceased cows and hogs to the backside of the farm and let the buzzards have a feast. Only the dogs got buried. Guess Dad knew if we did not bury the dogs Mom would be burying him. LOL
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
festus51 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festus51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 10:27pm
It is amazing how long these threads go on.   At least to me it is amazing.
We the unwilling Led by the unqualified Doing the impossible for the Ungrateful
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 6:29am
Originally posted by festus51 festus51 wrote:

It is amazing how long these threads go on.   At least to me it is amazing.

Shoot Festus,,(like thet handle)  thas the reason for this forum,,,is to let all these long winded members get things off their chests,,,,it good that everybody gots something to say bout most everything,,I think,,,,,Clap
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 8:39am
Ya just never know where a thread is gonna go........funny stuff.😆
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 9:26am
Our renter had a old Cow carrying a calf die during birth, calf and cow died same time so they dragged it out back, vultures and coyotes had a good two weeks on it then gave up on the degrading carcass. The bone pile disappears a little each month as something carries pieces off.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic