This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My! How times have changed!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My! How times have changed!
    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 7:03pm
My wife's grandfather was a Justice of the Peace from about 1910 to the late 40's
my in-laws are getting on up there so my wife has been going up to their house a couple of times a week to go through things, she brought me a hand full of these blank warrants.
I'm sure handing one of these to some man back in the 30's was quite the moment!, and all for the bargain price of $4.85

Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
Sponsored Links

thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 8:42pm
A bastardy warrant? Does that mean this warrant is for bastards only? That's pretty cool Joe. If you see any for Roy Hendrix we're related. I understand Papa Roy spent a fair amount of time in the north Eastern part of the state.
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 11:35pm
hey...i been before a justice of the peace before....uh....not for that tho...was caught over in IA doing....
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 6:49am
Justice of the Peace in New York State has evolved into Town (and/or Village) Justice, which we still have. I am in my 14th year as a non-lawyer Town Justice.

Town Justice duties involve handling all violations and misdemeanors from arraignment to plea, trial and in the event of a guilty verdict or plea, sentencing. We can sentence misdemeanor violators up to one year in county jail or three years probation.

We also have preliminary jurisdiction for felony charges. We do the arraignment and make a release decision on felony charges. We are not allowed to grant bail on the most serious (Class A) felony charges (we must remand without bail). We also cannot set bail on a defendant who has two prior felony charges and is charged with a (new) felony. 

If a defendant is remanded on a felony charge, he has a right to a Preliminary Hearing within five days (six days if it involves a holiday or weekend) to determine if any felony has been committed. I, personally, have done Preliminary Hearings on (separate) Murder 2nd and Rape 1st cases.

Our town court is the second busiest in our county, with only the county seat being busier. We typically see about 30 - 40 defendants per week in our court.

We also do civil cases and perform marriages.

No bastard warrants, though...
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 7:43am
Originally posted by WF owner WF owner wrote:

Delivery of those would be a full time job around here these days!
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 8:59am
Originally posted by JoeM(GA) JoeM(GA) wrote:

Originally posted by WF owner WF owner wrote:

Delivery of those would be a full time job around here these days!

LOL LOL LOL
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 9:08pm
These days you would wear out several JP's just trying to keep up with the number of warrants needed. Shows how much the morals of our country have declined.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 10:22pm
Why dont you guys over in Nebraska figure out how to gets 1 or 2 of them issued for ol shameless about Dec 26th. Maybe those police will keep him till May 1st. NO snow!!!!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 11:47pm
TOM....you shush!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic