This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My first chicken n dumplings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My first chicken n dumplings
    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 4:17pm
Never made them before.
Jenny been working a lot of hours so I decided to try to be helpful today. After some house work I went grocery shopping and this is what I came up with.
Fingers crossed.
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 8:35pm
Thad,
Will we see mouth watering pictures?
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Thad,
Will we see mouth watering pictures?
Regards,
 Chris

Wish I could. Still haven’t figured it out from the iPhone. It was good but I’ve had better.
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 9:42pm
I raise my own chickens and my wife makes it quite often with homemade noodles.  Hope your batch turns out.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 2:46am
Originally posted by Wayne180d Wayne180d wrote:

I raise my own chickens and my wife makes it quite often with homemade noodles.  Hope your batch turns out.

Well,Wayne,,,,ask your wife if she will share her recipe with us,,,,,Clap
 I like Chickie and dumplins but mine usually comes from a can,,,WinkWink
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 5:06am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Originally posted by Wayne180d Wayne180d wrote:

Well,Wayne,,,,ask your wife if she will share her recipe with us,,,,,Clap
 I like Chickie and dumplins but mine usually comes from a can,,,WinkWink

Yes I’d like the recipe as well
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 5:22am
Grandmother and Great Aunt made Rolled Dumplings, noodle recipe based rolled dough cut in squares where used same dough for beef broth noodles with roasts sliced long and narrow.  Wife prefers drop dumplings, still do not care for those.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 5:49am
My bride makes some of the best. She rolls the dough out thin and flat and lets it dry for most of the day and then slices it up for the dumplings. I'm getting a craving now for some chicken and dumplings. Maybe if I stay on my best behavior for a few days she will fix me some.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 6:23am
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Grandmother and Great Aunt made Rolled Dumplings, noodle recipe based rolled dough cut in squares where used same dough for beef broth noodles with roasts sliced long and narrow.  Wife prefers drop dumplings, still do not care for those.

I’m with you, I like chicken and noodles but can’t stand biting into a ball of dough. Now I might put a big buttered biscuit under my chicken and noodles.
Maximum use of available resources!
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 1:50pm
Wink We need a little explanation on what is considered a dumpling. The way most of you are talking it sound more like chicken and noodles, Big smile but that is good eats in my book too.

My Wonderful cooks the chicken and gravy( ? ) then adds biscuits (for lack of a better term) on top that steam with a lid on the pot. Nothing undercooked and doughy about them. They seem more puffy and liter than her biscuits. I just love that thick gravy and smother that dumpling.Clap Just the way her granny did it 60 years ago. This was something my family never had. My dad must no have been big on stew and and stuff with gravy other roast beef and potatoes.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 5:55pm
Ok So You guys know I take pictures. Yea lots of pictures. Not trying to hijack Thad's thread. This is just to give you something to view that is related to the subject.
So this is what Cheryl calls dumplings. Cooked on top of the homemade chicken soup. Under a lid. Soft dough that is cooked through, but is not crusty like a oven cooked biscuit.
Which I like those too!
Was it good? Take a guess!
Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 6:11pm
Mine were like little biscuits mixed in. I rolled them out to around 3/8” thick and sliced in to pieces.
I tried to follow the recipe exact but there seemed to be too many dumplings.
I like the look of Chris’s pic.👍
WaltN View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaltN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 6:17pm
Have  had all kinds of chicken and dumplings. Have had dumplings of all kinds,
some very soft and fluffy, some like baseballs which were sliced with a sharp
knife. Anybody making me chicken and dumplings any kind of way will be
much appreciated.
CA w/Woods L306
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 6:41pm
the only way I have ever had chicken and dumplings is similar to Sugarmaker's. Biscuit dough dropped on top of chicken and gravy

every definition i found was similar:
dumpling
[ˈdəmpliNG]
http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" x="0px" y="0px" viewBox="0 0 28 28" xml:space="preserve">
NOUN
dumplings (plural noun)
  1. a small savory ball of dough (usually made with suet) which may be boiled, fried, or baked in a casserole.
    • a pudding consisting of apples or other fruit enclosed in a sweet dough and baked.
    • a small, fat person.

Edited by LouSWPA - 08 Feb 2021 at 6:46pm
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 10:30pm
What Chris showed, that is the only thing I would call dumplings.  Mom made them, sure was good.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 5:37am
I was raised on the kind that Hubert described.  Man they were great left overs also.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 10:41am
Yep Chris has the kind I am talking about.

The cook here likes to plan as at 15 miles from town you don't just run down to the store if you are out of something. So Chicken and dumplings is for sometime next week.
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 12:11pm
What Chris showed is what my mom used to make that we called chicken and dumplings.  But, she also rolled out dough and cut it into strips.  That's what we called chicken and noodles
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 12:24pm
Yep, still prefer rolled dough dumplings and not boiled biscuit batter.   Wife makes the latter and I do eat it, just do not care for it.  She had my Grandmothers Dumplings, were strange to her but liked them.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic