This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My D15 Series 1 Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 10:21am
PO2 it started in 60.
Sponsored Links

bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 10:35am
Originally posted by Dan73 Dan73 wrote:

PO2 it started in 60.

Thanks Dan!
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 11:41am
Every D-15 was always Persion #2 with cream grille and wheels.
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 12:50pm
Thanks for the info. I am still brushing up on my Allis history a bit. Where were you finding the info on what years and paint or is it just tribal knowledge?
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 1:11pm
A lot of that info is in Norm Swinford's book "Allis Chalmers Farm Equipment 1914-1985"
I think a lot of guys here have that sitting next to their Bible.
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 2:57pm
Yup that is a great book but it is hard to find now.
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 7:10pm
Break in is done! I started out with it set at f25 for timing but it wouldn't hardly pull any load and was only making 21hp. I set it back to the advanced mark where I had originally ran it for years it made 39 hp and 289 ft lb's of torque. I advanced it past my original mark and it brought power up a hair but I also heard a little detonation so I took her well back off of that.

Not sure why it runs so crappy at F25.

Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 9:25pm
Sounds like you might have mixed-up the F-25 mark and the Center (or TDC) mark. At 26*(or more) before TDC it will burn pistons. That's one big a$$ Dyno! Looks like one of them buggy's they used to drive around on the moon back in the 70's.lol  
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 10:28pm
Yeah I thought I must have missed something as well but verified it again. Runs like total garbage at "F25". It's very clear in the belhousing hole as the flywheel was polished up nice from a mouse nest in it. Not sure why it would be doing this. I went a degree or two less than the original setting that we had it at for years with no burned piston issues on them. Could something with funky points be throwing off my readings? When I had the engine at TDC on the front pointer (which could be my mistake) the points are well away from the lobe on the dizzy to get them to open. It runs great. Good throttle response and idles just great.
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 10:31pm
Yeah I don't know how accurate an AW Nebraska 800 dyno is at 30ish horsepower. We had the base custom built and we have a 400 ish gallon water tank in the front of the trailer for additional water capacity so we can run it without external water sources. We have 2 water pumps that circulate the water through the dyno and on the return a radiator to try to take some heat out of her.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 6:54am
I bet it gets some looks from the neighbors when it's out there running! Don't worry about that though. Looks like you've got some support from about everywhere!
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 7:39am
Ha ha ha, yeah it drew a crowd of them behind me. They were a bit perplexed as to what I was doing.

One neighbor put it best saying "You know some neighbors just mow the lawn or maybe even change their own oil on something but not this guy, he has to bring a mobile dyno center home".

I am still just little frustrated with the whole timing challenge I have and what would be causing the tractor not to run right when its set tot the proper flywheel marks.

Late last night verified my plug gaps were at .030 and my points were at .020. I set it again while the engine was toasty to "F25" and it wouldn't hardly idle and was laboring really bad. As far as how much over the f25 mark I measured how much I have to turn the distributer counterclockwise (advanced) to get it to run right and its only 1/8th of an inch at the base of my distributer different than may mark on put on the dizzy base at f25.

Edited by bigredisb - 30 Aug 2016 at 7:39am
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 7:43am
Are you sure your advance mechanism is working (not stuck)??   Should be F-25 at wide open throttle and near/close to TDC at a very slow idle.
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 7:46am
Good point doc. I thought my advance was ok testing my d15 by hand but it was a mess took it apart this spring had my mechanic rebuild the distributor and it made a world of difference.
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 8:44am
I don't recall seeing a TDC mark on the flywheel at idle. I found the F25 mark at wide open throttle only in the window. I took the plate below the points off and had lightly lubed it and cleaned the centrifugal advance system. Grabbing the rotor and turning it forward, the advance feels nice and smooth and using the timing light you can see the timing advancing and retarding based on engine speed.

Something's really odd. With it set at the F25 (at wide open throttle) the engine almost stalls just lifting the lift arms. With the distributer turned 1/8th inch clockwise (advanced) the engine at idle does not even pull down the RPM when using the lift. This advanced timing setting is where the tractor had been set for the last 25+ years with no burned pistons so maybe its ok at that setting. when I was testing it at full rpm and full load I had to turn it another 1/8 inch advanced to start hearing a tiny bit of spark knock so I feel like I am a ways away from detonation issues.

I do all kinds of diagnostics on automotive engines and rebuild them and tune them and diesel engines all the time so timing isn't totally foreign to me but I don't mess with points very often which I wonder if I am missing something related to them.

I don't plan on converting this to electronic ignition as it runs so good with points and I have never had an issue with it starting even with a wore out engine in the past.

Edited by bigredisb - 30 Aug 2016 at 8:45am
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 1:37pm
Just timed it again at lunch. If I set the high speed timing to F25 and bring her back down to idle the TDC mark is spot on. I guess I will leave it that way but man it runs awful.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 2:34pm
I would set it where it runs good with no detonation. Your dyno will tell you where your best timing and carb setting is. Like you said, "that's where it always was"
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 9:54am
Timing is set for now so on to the next challenge.

I need to figure out if I really do have a hydraulic pump issue. I figure I will take a video and post it on here for some opinions.
I posted a thread on the classifieds area and the one guy that came back saying they have several pumps needs a casting number.

Is the casting near the hydraulic line from the casting on the bottom of the trans housing the pump? Its a stupid question I know but I have never had the pump out of one of these. Is the casting number next to the hydraulic line the number they are looking for or is that just a cover?

Started on the electrical last night. While I was digging around laying on my back I discovered something jammed above the floorboard and behind the guard on the left hand side of the trans. As a kid I remember my grandpa letting me plow snow at his grocery store and I was so eager to run it that I dropped the key in the snow and we couldn't find it. My grandpa (a bit annoyed) ran back home to get another key for it. Well I found the key that I thought I lost!

I have been also trying to get my tie rods freed up. I want to bring the front axle in one position and the axle slides easily but those tie rods are stubborn. I heated them up and have been dousing them with PB blaster so hopefully they finally budge soon.

Edited by bigredisb - 31 Aug 2016 at 10:23am
1961 Allis-Chalmers D15
1949 Farmall Super A
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 1:46pm
That's pretty funny about the key. The tie rods on my 45 were pretty froze. I spent a little effort in getting them apart, then just bought 2 new ones that were good and tight for about $60 each. No steering slop now.
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 1:51pm
Any suggestions on this plow? I really like the looks of the skeleton plows. What was the advantages of this plow and with our soil having some clay in it here would it even be worth messing around with?

Plow
1961 Allis-Chalmers D15
1949 Farmall Super A
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 2:40pm
When using the timing light, you are shining it thru the 1 inch hole in the right side of the bellhousing??
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 2:57pm
Those are called slat plows. They work good is hard scouring sticky soils like muck or sticky clay. There is less molboard surface area so the dirt keeps flowing instead of balling up on the molboard.
THe only problem with them is that there are no new slats being made. If you need a replacement you have to find a used one somewhere which can be tough.

So if it's all complete and all the slats are there and good, it should be a good plow. If even one slat is missing or broke, I wouldn't buy it. $300 is an average price for a 3 bottom Allis plow.

The shares for almost all Allis plows are getting hard to find. I think a couple years ago DaveThePlowMan on here started reproducing shares for some models. I redrilled my plow a few years ago to accept a still in production share.

I kick myself bc I didn't bid $100 on a 4-14 slat bottom plow at an auction about 5 years ago, until the gavel had already fell. It was in good shape. I thought it was too big for my WD45 and was even younger than I am now with even less money.

Edited by Allis dave - 01 Sep 2016 at 9:24am
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

When using the timing light, you are shining it thru the 1 inch hole in the right side of the bellhousing??

Yes. Timing marks are cleaned up and clearly visible with the light while its running. At idle the TDC mark lines up in the window next to the little rough casted pointer and at full throttle (2100 ish rpm) the "f25" is clearly visible. When set to that it stumbles and carries on and the dyno proved it fell on its face. Would only make about 21 hp at that setting. I am maybe only a degree or two over the F25 mark and it runs clean and smooth and power was back up into the high 30's.

Edited by bigredisb - 31 Aug 2016 at 3:19pm
1961 Allis-Chalmers D15
1949 Farmall Super A
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Allis dave Allis dave wrote:

So if it's all complete and all the slats are there and good, it should be a good plow. If even one slat is missing or broke, I wouldn't buy it. $300 is an average price for a 3 bottom Allis plow.

Thanks Dave this is all good info. I would only be using the plow for maybe less than 10 acres a year for plowdays and stuff like that. I use my Super A for gardens and things.

Edited by bigredisb - 31 Aug 2016 at 3:17pm
1961 Allis-Chalmers D15
1949 Farmall Super A
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by bigredisb bigredisb wrote:

Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

Yes. Timing marks are cleaned up and clearly visible with the light while its running. At idle the TDC mark lines up in the window next to the little rough casted pointer and at full throttle (2100 ish rpm) the "f25" is clearly visible. When set to that it stumbles and carries on and the dyno proved it fell on its face. Would only make about 21 hp at that setting. I am maybe only a degree or two over the F25 mark and it runs clean and smooth and power was back up into the high 30's.

I also adjusted the carb settings to see if that could somehow be impacted by timing but it made little to no difference.

Could the different pistons and compression be impacting the timing a couple of degrees? Its like F25 is just on the ragged edge
1961 Allis-Chalmers D15
1949 Farmall Super A
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 3:40pm
I think Joe said he has the same poisons you have and he didn't have any trouble with timing. I have been thinking about this alot one stupid question but when you setup your timing light you use the spark plug closest to the front of the motor correct? Just want to make sure you are #1 not #4.
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by Dan73 Dan73 wrote:

I think Joe said he has the same poisons you have and he didn't have any trouble with timing. I have been thinking about this alot one stupid question but when you setup your timing light you use the spark plug closest to the front of the motor correct? Just want to make sure you are #1 not #4.

Ha ha ha, Yeah I have been using #1 all along BUT the other night I looked it up to make sure the front cylinder was indeed referenced as number 1.
1961 Allis-Chalmers D15
1949 Farmall Super A
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 4:50pm
Maybe we should run a quick compression test......wide open throttle.....all plugs removed.....battery charger on the battery......that engine should be like 170 to maybe 180 psi. Any more than that might solve your timing mystery ??
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 8:44pm
Sure, when I get a chance I can check compression.

Here is a video of the lift arms running. Seem very jumpy. The lift arms bouncing around make it look worse than it probably is:
Hitch raise video
1961 Allis-Chalmers D15
1949 Farmall Super A
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 7:32am
are they jumpy at both higher and lower rpms? I'm trying to remember, seems like my 45 is a little like that at lower rpm, but smooths out when running faster. I haven't ran that tractor for almost a years. sad...

Can you put a pressure gauge on the remote to see what pressure you're making? I'm betting that you have access to one.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic