This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MRI

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MRI
    Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 7:27am
Have a pinched nerve in my back . Went for a MRI yesterday . Told me my shoulders would touch . I wasn't sure I'd even fit as I'm kind of a fat boy . Layed down and they ran me in . When I opened my eyes my nose was almost touching . Told them to LET ME OUT.Have an open MRI Tuesday. Don't know how anybody can stand the closed ones
Sponsored Links

chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 7:33am
I use to be able to handle it 30 yrs ago, but now I can't. I gained 70 pounds since then too. I also can't handle heights anymore either. I hear lots of people can't handle them little doughnut hole MRIs.

Edited by chaskaduo - 08 Dec 2018 at 7:34am
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 7:45am
I've had about 10 of them. They always gave me head phones and put on the radio station of my choice. Still was enough to make you lose your chit. Now it seems like they are bigger and not as much coffin like.
They will give you a chill pill if you ask. I never did because I had to drive afterwards.
You get used to it after a time.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 7:49am
That little valium pill don't work for me. Heck oxycodone hardly works any more.

Hope everything works out for you EJ.

Edited by chaskaduo - 08 Dec 2018 at 7:51am
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 7:51am
Forgot to say I did take a chill pill . It didn't do anything .
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 9:28am
i don't know why they ask us about the music, can't hear it anyways for all the buzzers and bells and horns and other noises
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 9:43am
 I had one done bout 3 years ago and no problems as close confined spaces have never bothered me,,,,but now the wife dang near had a run-a-way last one she had done,,,it likda funny thinkin bout it now,,,,Wink but you'lda thought she,,,she,,,never mind,,,,she informed me quite forcefully,,,"You ain't EVER gonna get me inside one of those FU*&^%^% things again,,, You Understand?"       yes dear,,,,,WinkWink
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 10:36am
No matter the machine, I get inside and fall asleep with the headphones on. The techs usually get a laugh at me snoring.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 11:01am
Had one done a couple years back for nech and shoulder - No problem - 
Might be I use to make the copper core used in all the machines when I worked in Industrial Chemical Milling business - We made the machined copper used for the magnets - made them for GE and all their  subsidiaries  world wide . Some real large boards with .040 copper and heavy boards with .125 copper laminated onto FR4 backing . 
 Largest were about 4 ft by 6 ft with .040 copper , heaviest were around 100 pounds of copper before machining 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 11:02am
for what it is worth, I've been through a couple, I found that if I just had a towel layed in my face I was fine.....w/o I would have torn the machine up getting out
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 11:14am
Tech told me that I was the sixth one last week that couldn't handle it . Open one Tuesday sounds easy peasy . Don't think a towel would've helped unless it was soaked in clorafom .
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 11:26am
As soon as I go in,--I am snoring flat out!! BEST few mins. of sleep I ever had! LOL!!! thanks; ac fleet
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 11:59am
EJ, hope all goes well and you can get all healed up. Never had an MRI but I think I could handle it okay, crawling into fighter jet intakes to inspect turbine blades didn't bother me and I have spent a lot of time crawling around in houses full of smoke and fire where I couldn't see chit.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 12:10pm
My mother liked going to doctors,which is good with all the troubles she had over the years. But she needed the chill pill. Since I don't really like confined space, I was very worried before the first one. But all went OK for me.

Just close my eyes and try to think of fun things. Out on the Gleaner in a good crop seed just poring in the tankSmile. The big buck peaking out giving you a broadside shot.Tongue Or for some maybe it would be letting raccoonsWink out of the bag in there garageLOL.

You cannot hardly see the doctors this day and age without them wanting some kind fancy pictures of you innards. I think the CT scan with the delightful "milkshake" you have to drink.

I just had a CT scan a month ago,maybe I just put up with it better or they improved the taste of the dye stuff. Still cannot recommend it but not as bad as I was expecting.  

ACinSC I wish well in that they see something that helps you get better soon.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 1:16pm
Thanks for all the well wishes . This pinched nerve has been hurting me since October . Should have listened to my wife and seen the Dr sooner . Did hurt myself messing with a green tractor .
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 2:28pm
Small spaces did not have an affect on me even as a scrawny youngster I was all for crawling thru tight spots. As a mechanic at Mack Truck on Chouteau in St. Louis I even crawled up in the mast box of a dump truck to change the blown cylinder hose on a dump truck, a Loaded dump truck.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 6:08pm
The one I had, back in 2000 or so, wasn't too bad, I figgered if they stuck me in that little hole, they can damn sure drag my a$$ out...

Here's the reverend Clower, on the subject:

[TUBE]SNC7TDLpmeU[/TUBE]
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 6:38pm
Thanks Dave . Funny stuff .
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 8:51pm
I've had several when I had back problems, I weighed about 170 at the time, never had any claustrophobia, like Shameless, all the banging and buzzing and feeling the hair on my arms move, there was no way I was sleeping.  However, once they gave me an open MRI, technician told me it would take 3 hours instead of 1 like the enclosed ones.  I told him with my back there was no way I could lay still for 3 hours with the pain I was in.  He told me to just try so then he proceeded to give me the contrast shot.  I don't think it was his first rodeo either because there was more than contrast in that needle, next thing I knew, it was 3 hours later and  he was shaking my arm telling me we were done. 
Maximum use of available resources!
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 11:16pm
I'm one of those really lucky people....
I've never been afraid of enclosed places, heights, fire, water, dogs, or anything else natural.....cept my wife...She's NOT natural....or maaaybe it's just women in general.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 11:46pm
Doctor told me I needed one.
I told him OK, this is how it will be done. You will put me out.
He said, no. 
I said, put me out or I will die.
He said, no you won't. 
I said, yes I will. I will have a heart attack and die in the tube. 
When my wife agreed with me, the doctor said we can give you a shot of, something I don't know what. 

Slept through the whole thing.

Edited by Unit3 - 08 Dec 2018 at 11:48pm
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 12:42am
Never had any kind of MRI or Cat Scan but did fall asleep as the dentist was working on a filling last week.  Kind of amazed him, I told him I had supreme confidence in him and needed a nap anyway.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 2:36pm
Conquering anxiety is usually best accomplished by understanding, and relating.

Let's say you're in that MRI machine, and it wigs you out.

Imagine yourself laying beneath an antique car, and you're inspecting the clutch. 

You're still in a tight space, but you KNOW the car isn't going to fall on you... so you're safe.

The MRI machine works by transmitting magnetic waves through your body.  Your tissues and bone all pass magnetic waves, but due to density and composition, each tissue type does it a little differently, and using the return echo to paint an image of the varying densities of tissue.

In order for the machine to work properly, you have to maintain a known position, and stay still.  If you don't, the return echos will be all distorted, and the image will look like you strapped a Nikon to a running jackhammer, to take a family portrait.

I had an MRI done after my C5/C6 collapse, and the biggest issue I had, was that my left arm was totally numb and amidst constant spasms... there was nothing I could do that would stop them, and even knocking me out wouldn't.

Fortunately, the area they were needing to see the most, was not my arm, but where the nerve clusters (ulnar and radial) went through neck into spine, which was plenty stable.

I frequently don't like tight spaces, but I just close my eyes and place myself under the '29 Ford A, the day I swapped the engine for Dad.  The car had been wrapped around a tree at one time, and the frame had a slight gink in it somewhere, such that the back two pads wouldn't quite allow the engine in place... so my only choice was to be underneath, with a jack, tryin' to push 'em apart.  Well, that engine slipped down on top of me, I wound up holding it up with my right thigh and two arms... I was kinda pinned, and there was nobody within earshot of me when it slipped down, so I just had 'ta rest there and hold it up.  They came lookin' for me when I didn't answer the dinner call, and Dad hauled up on the chain a bit so I could get cleaned up and fed.

The MRI wasn't all greasy, sharp, and cold... so I'm fine with it.  Bettern' standing on my head tryin' to replace the starter on an offshore racing boat!!! Wink
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 2:45pm
after finishing my last MRI, the one Tech said he heard me fart
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 7:46pm
Only you would fart in an enclosed space. Nuke
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 8:04pm
As kids, my brothers and I used to spend days moving bales around in the mow, so we could "build a fort". We always ended up with about a 12 inch wide tunnel that had at least one 90 degree turn it and was usually 6 or more bales long. I remember feeling a bit "close" once, when going thru a tight one, but the MRI wasn't even a worry till I was in it and surrounded! I made it by just closing my eyes, trying to think of something other than the noise.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 1:31am
Never been in an MRI, but have been in positions of welding seams down a square tube that if I had to inhale a full breath of air, I would have been stuck... and smaller guys would not do it. and had to have the arms forward to weld ... But I don't dare do it today.
 ACinSc, you shouldn't have opened your eyes...  Good luck on tuesday.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 3:38am
Yeah , tech told me to keep my eyes closed until she told me to open them . Also said the test would last 30 minutes . I would have never made it . Open MRI Tuesday sounds doable . Thanks
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 7:38am
Would you feel any better if I told you that you will be inside a huge electro magnet that has between 600-1000 amps of current running through a wire the size of piano wire? It can run that much current through such a small wire because it is cooled down to such a low temperature that the wire has no resistance. The wire is placed inside a channel of copper that is much larger so that if magnet cooling is lost and the coils become resistive that the larger copper channel will take the current and this not burn the small wire in two as that would ruin the magnet. When that happens it is called a quench and all that current is turned into heat and it boils off the liquid helium that keeps the wire at a super conductive temperature. That is your lesson for today........we will have a quiz tomorrow.

God luck with the scan. I have been both a patient and a test subject a few times when I was working on them there darn machines. 😜
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 8:03am
Had several ,back and shoulders, everyone is different. Never had to be sedated but can see the anxiety it can cause. I think they should give you a lever to pull yerself out if you need to. Good luck tomorrow and be verry still during the MRI so they get good pics. Very important when you go to get it fixed.
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic