This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Moving up to a 7060

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben (MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moving up to a 7060
    Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 11:20am
I am considering replacing my black belly 7000 with a 1979 7060 located about 300 miles from me. I understand the dealer to be honest and fair but I still feel I  should have a first hand look. Any specific issues to look for in this model? It is a power shift with 4700 hours on the meter. I would be seriously underworking the 7060's 670I engine-will I notice a big increase in fuel consumption over the 7000's economical 649T engine? I will pull a 6 row no till planter, 10' Bush Hog and pull wagons in the fall. I appreciate anyone's input, thanks.
Sponsored Links

Dans 7080 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dans 7080 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 11:28am
I have a 76 7060 PD that I love. Its the cheapest tractor I can run. It has 210hp, pulling a 24ft feild cultivator it will run 2 long days on a tank of fuel. My 7040 will run about a day, and 7080 about a day and a half. I work it about all the time, but if its not working it wont use any fuel hardly at all. the only tractor I have that will come close to the fuel economy is a 200 which would be about the same as your 7000, but its doing about half the work too.
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 11:33am
i've been thinking about replacing my 7080 with a 7060...when i find a decent one!
427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 12:18pm
Take some coolant test strips with you and test the coolant.  If the coolant conditioner/filter wasn't maintained, you could have liner pitting.
Mark

B10 Allis, 917 Allis, 7116 Simplicity, 7790 Simplicity Diesel,
GTH-L Simplicity

Ignorance is curable-----stupidity is not.
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 1:33pm
Dad has a maroon 7060 PS.  I like it more than he does, but I don't pay the bills on it.  The torque limiter can be an issue.  I'd have it dyno'd to see if the PTO slips, if it does, then it needs a torque limiter.  Only downsides to the PS are a limited # of gears in the tillage range and it's hard to shift the hi/lo while rolling.  I find it hard to believe one could be turning a lot of HP and working at the same time as dad's would overheat on a 24' filed cultivator and it was running stock HP.  Think they only carried around 60 gallons of fuel, after a long day pulling wagons I wouldn't want to get too far from home the second day.  Are you sure it's a 670I?  The engine I have in my garage is a 3700 from dad's.  He put an 8050 engine in when the oiriginal spun a main.
AaronSEIA
Ben (MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben (MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 2:08pm
Thanks everyone

Aaron-I got my engine info from tractordata.com, it could well be wrong
Brad(WI) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 4:47pm
Our 7060 burned 10+ gallons of fuel per hour chiseling day in and day out.  Switched to 8400 JD and fuel use went down and speed prob doubled.  Never measured fuel use at lower power use.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by AaronSEIA AaronSEIA wrote:

Are you sure it's a 670I?  The engine I have in my garage is a 3700 from dad's.  
AaronSEIA

I'm pretty sure the Black belly 7060 would have had the 670I engine.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by Brad(WI) Brad(WI) wrote:

Our 7060 burned 10+ gallons of fuel per hour chiseling day in and day out.  Switched to 8400 JD and fuel use went down and speed prob doubled.  Never measured fuel use at lower power use.

That's a couple tractor generations difference. A 4630 or 4640 wouldn't fare so well. I don't think my 7050 is nearly that thirsty though but mine is pretty close to stock HP.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Russ SCPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russ SCPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 7:04pm
On a chisel or big disc my 7060 will run right at 10 gpa of fuel, On a 15.6 hphrs/gal Nebraska test that is about right for 160 actual hp.
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 8:21pm
We like our 7060 black belly our hired helper will choose that over our 8030, 7080, and definently over the 7000.  If your content with a 7000 you will be over joyed with a 7060.  I saw you are in MI be very cautious what dealer you are dealing with in MI  there is one dealer in the northern part of the state that you should take his word with a grain of salt so to speak and pour over the tractor very very carefull to make sure it is as he says.   He has tried to duke me and two of my neighbors each on seperate occassions.
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 8:32pm
Thanks for the correction.  Didn't know if they changed at the black belly or at the 8000 series.
AaronSEIA
Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 9:19pm
I had a 76 7060 that was overhauled by my dealer Sigman's AC in Goodland, In. It came off the dyno at 191 hp and after I broke it in, Terry Dunlap, the shop foreman came out to the field and cranked on some more fuel. I was pulling a 13 shank chisel with 4" twisted shovels at 6=6.5 mph, and a 32' field cultivator running about 3" deep in the same gear. I did about 18 acres per hour at that rate. Fuel use was about 13 gallons per hour. It was a Power Director, not power Shift. Terry kinda felt we were in the 225=250 horse range and I believe him. It didn't much matter whether I was in sand or heavy dirt, It just bellowed a little louder. Guess you could tell I loved that tractor.   Dipstick  
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 11:06pm
Mine is turned up 20% which is around 190hp and it burns in the 10 or 11 range pullin a pheonix harrow 8 to 9 miles per hour. We run my 7060 with a 15' brushhog, and I pulled a 800 bushel cart with it this fall. I wouldn't think a stock hp 7060 would have any trouble with those jobs.
Steve M C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 11:21pm

I'm glad my 426's don't consume that kind of fuel!

Eric[IL] View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric[IL] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 3:25am
I will pull a 6 row no till planter, 10' Bush Hog and pull wagons in the fall. I appreciate anyone's input, thanks.
Ben, I would think with a power shift trans, you should not have any problems pulling the jobs you listed above.  I would think that its 670I 3700 engine will not be as efficient as your 7000s 649T on fuel?  Things to look for on the 7060:
1. fuel pump rebuild cost about $1100
2. use AP Air Inc for upgrading to 134A A/C components http://www.apairinc.com/
3. Check engine for weldments on block near the rear right area below head. 
4. Check that foam is still good around the sides & top of the radiator.  Without a close fit, the engine will run warm or hot.  Hood side panels need to be straight for good fit.
5. Check turbo elbow leak during power up driving in high gear.  Smoke will purge out from under the hood if leaking.
6. Check trans fluid sight glass levels on left side of pto area.
7. Check trans T handle for play.  Excessive play may mean it needs a new cable?
8. Check fuel gauge for accuracy.  If not correct, may need new sending unit?
9. Pull the air filter for inspection.  It is located in front of the radiator.  Check that the air intake from the air swirl bowl to the filter canister is clean of bird nests.
10. rear 20.8x38's give a bigger tire paw for less compaction than 18.4x38's.  DMI J-hook with metal band duals are good.  If space duals, check that rear axle is larger diameter for stresses.
11. rear spin-out hubs are nice if you ever want to quickly change wheel width - plow.  check to see if a wheel wrench is included on the deal?
12. rear inner wheel weights weigh 400+lbs each.  Outer weights weigh 300lbs each.
13. Front wheels are 8 bolt, not 6 bolt like the 7000.  can make changing out a spare harder than 7000s.
14. Check that the clutch brake is working properly when fulling depressed.
Ben (MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben (MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 6:52am
Thanks everyone for the input, many useful tips. The dealer is in WI and according to responses to an earlier post is trustworthy and fair. I was impressed when I spoke with the owner of the business. He told me the tractor has been dyno tested for an hour to check for problems and will be again before delivery to a buyer to check all cab functions, etc. This tractor sounds like a gem mechanically and the pics are beautiful.
1979 ALLIS-CHALMERS 7060
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 8:03am
From overall appearance the picture looks like a good tractor.I have an 81 7060 power director and I like the tractor.When I chopped silage it did a better job on the chopper than my 8050.Previous postings have given good advice and the dealer sounds trustworthy.I picked my 7060 up in John Deere country because the dealer could not sell it and was going to take it to auction.The only problems it has given me was the batteries needed replacing and the air conditioning.Take the top of the cab off and blow the evaporator out regularly and you should not have to many air problems other than leaks because of the age of the hoses and fittings.I have had to replace several hoses and now my air stays charged on 134A.The only dis like I have is the cab an 8000 series is a lot better designed cab and the 8000 series starts better because of the AMBAC pump.
Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 8:36am
Ben Mi. That's a really nice 7060, if it's taken care of properly, they make a heckova nice workhorse! In my earlier post about mine that was running well over 200 horse, there is a lot of the story that wasn't told.  I had dual 20.8X 38 tires on it filled with ballast, approximately 1500 lbs. apiece. I took the duals off once to applicate anhydrous amonia(by myself with the loader) and asked my two sons to put them back on later to get ready for fall tillage. The boys told me in non-church language that IF I ever took them off again I could put them back on by myself. They were never taken off again! Everything I did was with the approval of Terry Dunlap,the Dealers head mechanic, and an AC mechanic since high school. His brother Chuck knew almost everything Allis and knew how to get the best and most horse out of a machine. Chuck has suffered a head injury in a fall and all that knowledge is trapped inside now. After much conversation about what ifs. There were only two 7060's running that kind of horse around here and the other one pulled a 30" disc. I think it was dynoed at about 250 hp. I believe the rear end is all the same as the 7080, and consequently will take a lot of power easily. I don't know about the power shift as mine was a power director and I never had the first problem with it. Good luck and God BLess! 
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic