This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mounted Corn Pickers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
houchens View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote houchens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mounted Corn Pickers
    Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 10:31pm
Wondering if anyone's operating any mounted corn pickers? Picking with my NI pull-type and D-15 today got me thinking how much I'd like to have a mounted.

Anyone ever see any of em for sale anymore?
8050 200 7010 185x2 D17-IV D15IIx2 D14 WD45 Deutz Allis 6260 Gleaner Kx2 Gleaner K2 Diesel 2300 discx2 600 and 333 planters 2 AC wagons several AC plows/chisels Rotobalerx2 Other Misc AC Equipment
Sponsored Links

Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 10:38pm
Have never operated a mounted one but from what I can see it would be very dusty and dirty to be amongst the picking action.The only problems we had with our NI pull behind was pulling a fully loaded wagon behind the picker in a muddy field and manuvering in some small fields
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
houchens View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote houchens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 11:47pm
Yes, the dust makes sense...

It'd be a lot easier to maneuver in the field though, and you'd never have to run over any rows to break a field up.

But, of course, you've got a tractor sitting inside that machine; you either let it sit in there all the time and not earn its keep, or you go through taking that think off.. I'm sure that's no easy task.
8050 200 7010 185x2 D17-IV D15IIx2 D14 WD45 Deutz Allis 6260 Gleaner Kx2 Gleaner K2 Diesel 2300 discx2 600 and 333 planters 2 AC wagons several AC plows/chisels Rotobalerx2 Other Misc AC Equipment
DanD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 6:03am
Here's a view almost from the seat, to give you an idea of how it is to drive one.  I've put quite a few hours on this very machine.  I have to say it's not as dusty as some people worry that it is.  It's not clean, but not terrible.
It's not horribly hard to put it on and off.  It's a two man job, but my dad has done it by himself a lot of times.  Once the subframe is on the tractor, the rest is fast.
Sorry for the tractor brand here, but this all came to the farm in a package deal about 1979 or so.
[TUBE]E-hCT0yVaRc&feature=relmfu[/TUBE][TUBE]S1P4SsHKbV8&feature=relmfu[/TUBE]
MNLonnie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MNLonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 7:22am
I just like the look of a mounted picker. There were 2 of them for sale this summer in MN for WC/WD's.
Waukesha B, B, IB, G, styled WF, D15, 615 backhoe, 2-Oliver OC3's, 4 Ford Model T's, 3 Model A Fords, AV8 Coupe, AV8 Roadster, 1933 Ford Wrecker
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 7:25am
Great video!! the closest I come to a picker is I have a adjustment wrench for a WC era two row picker.
Mnfarmboy View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mnfarmboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 7:34am
We started with a mounted AC picker, went to a mounted New Idea picker, then a New Idea pull type, Dad  got tired of the dust and dirt with the mounted pickers.  The New Idea pickers gave a less trashy load of corn.  I think he really enjoyed the heater/AC in the 180.  We always had a neighbor come in with his combine to open the fields for us.  Installing the pickers on the 45 was always a chore, it also tied up a tractor for the season.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 7:47am
Dad only had a 1 row Wood Brothers pull type picker. He would NEVER think of driving down thru the field with it to "open Up" the field. We either walked it and picked it by hand or when the neighbor got a 2 row mounted, had him come open it up.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 8:05am
Its a bear to put on! you need 2 people really.  

We did our WD 2 years ago, here are the pictures. Also, did a little engine work before putting picker on, so that took longer. Whatever AC advertised to put them on for time, was highly underestimated. enjoy.

Galatians 5:22-24

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 8:07am

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
WC7610 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WC7610 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 10:22am

Looks good Don.  I'm always wondering why all the other brands of pickers had so much "high tin" and why they needed all that when I look at an AC picker which is "low profile".

Thanks

Most Bad Government has grown out of Too Much Government- Thomas Jefferson
dustinmo View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustinmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 8:29pm
here is mine the grille screen and the side panels are off of it in the pic but we still use it each year for about 10 acres for feed, its a 45 with a 33 picker
Rfdeere View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rfdeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by WC7610 WC7610 wrote:

Looks good Don.  I'm always wondering why all the other brands of pickers had so much "high tin" and why they needed all that when I look at an AC picker which is "low profile".

Actually, Allis Chalmers moved to that design also :

Randy Freshour,Member Indiana AC Partners,
http://www.rumelyallis.com
Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 9:32pm
Randy we had fun today! Thanks for giving me a heads-up call yesterday. Kyle, Eric Clarks son, said he wished he had a chance to run a picker. Pop said , well there's next year! Eric was cussin' himself for not reading the newsletter, because he would have brought our buddy Darrell's pull type Oliver behind his D-17.   Oh well, there's next year! LOL
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
Dean/MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean/MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 9:47pm
We had a 2MH IH picker on a Farmall M for many years then, we got a 234 IH that was on a Case 830. We always left them on the tractor as we had plenty of extra ones to do the rest of the work. As was already mentioned the worst part was when you had a wet fall it was hard to get through the wet spots. There's a lot of weight on the tractor and can go down like a boat anchor if your not careful. 
HD16,917H,185,7050,8030FWA,8050FWA
427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by WC7610 WC7610 wrote:

As another poster noted, the New Idea pickers did a much better job of husking the corn due to longer or more husking rolls.  The AC mounted picker had a rather small husking area.  That "high" sheet metal hid a much bigger husking area on the other pickers.

My Dad had a 2M IH picker on an M in the early 50's and "opened" a lot of the neighbor's fields.  Later, a 2ME picker and finally a combine and corn head.  It was a good day's work for Dad and I to put that picker on and take it off, however.  Dad was share cropping with my Grandfather (1/3 and 2/3) and he would divide the fields into 10 row and 20 row sections and pick and crib them individually based on whose corn it was.
Mark

B10 Allis, 917 Allis, 7116 Simplicity, 7790 Simplicity Diesel,
GTH-L Simplicity

Ignorance is curable-----stupidity is not.
KenBWisc View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KenBWisc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 9:36am
If you mount it every year for 20 years you get faster! 
'34 WC #629, '49 G, '49 B, '49 WD, '62 D-19, '38 All Crop 60 and still hunting!
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 10:49pm
Wet fields... we could get thru the wet fields better with the mounted picker than we could with the pull type.. and when it was really muddy, we had a pusher tractor with about 16 feet a chain, that way you could push the picker till it got goin and then if the pusher was stuck, it would get pulled out by the chain.... but that was on those older flat rack wagons with sides and ends on them.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 5:42am
Dad had both an F20 with IH picker and a WC/WD with a 33 picker. The F20 never had the picker removed but he says he got pretty good at taking the 33 off. He claims 15 or 20 minutes to take it off or put it on. The IH had better capacity and the F20 would drive slow enough while the WC was too fast and he called the AC a sunshine picker. He says if it was damp out you couldn't go but the 33 didn't shell while the F20 and IH picker left yellow streaks in the field. He also said if you had down corn the 33 would get under the stalks and get it picked better than the IH. At any rate he was tickled to get his E Gleaner back in the mid 70's after a shed fire burned his WC and picker. He bought a MM pull type to pick some for feed and a few years later bought an Oliver pull type that was in better shape. If anybody wants these for near scrape price they are still on the farm. The MM and Oliver that is.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 6:18am
We had a 2MH ,IH picker mounted on a 560 gas that we picked with until we found a good used M tractor and left the picker on year around. We finally bought a New Idea Mounted Superpicker with the 12 roll husking bed. That was a picker!We did not leave it on year around because it was easy to mount ,the hardest job was getting the tractor wheels slid on the axle. We should have had a Allis with roll shift wheels. The IH 2MH picker was a pain to mount,my Dad would get the tractor ready and then when I was home from school on Saturday we would mount the picker.We eventually bought a Uni Harvester with a 4 row head and husking unit and could not keep up unloading corn from that !
Jim Lindemood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Lindemood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 6:41am
They turn the tractor into one mean looking machine -- like the way they look.
Would seem to be hard to put on and take off --- 20 years of practice would probably help, LOL..
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 7:33am
Here are 2 corn picking videos.
[TUBE]83V-CO5AZ-0&feature=player_detailpage[/TUBE] 
[TUBE]DDb6ipNYhuQ&feature=player_detailpage[/TUBE]

klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 7:34am
[TUBE]n-BaOkbMfQE&feature=player_detailpage[/TUBE]
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 7:37am
[TUBE]gI_EPW3P3L8&feature=player_detailpage[/TUBE]
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 8:11am
That WD is sure moving along.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
NEJim View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEJim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 8:53am
I've had both pickers, 33 and 190, I liked the 33 better because the 190 the operator sits right down in the dirt and it was so noisey with the chains running on both sides of you.  Also the 33 did a better job of husking.  The only drawback  was the 33 didn't have the capacity the 190 had but the 190 was alot warmer to run because you got the heat off the engine.  I kinda miss them days until I get in the cab of the combine and turn the heater on.  I guess it's "old age".
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 9:14am

Dang, I would like to maybe pick a load with the 33 now! Will have to see, gramps has 30" rows. Not sure how the 33 would handle that, might have to lift the snouts all the way up so the stalk could bend?

Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 9:18am
Jim, I bet the 190 was warmer!
I would think the 33 would be dirtier? Seems low, and the fans are blowin down right under your feet, might have a back draft up on the driver?

The 190 looks like its even tighter to get on!

Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2012 at 7:58am

Check out that picker picture in the link below!! A pickin and a grinnin!!

For those interested, this link below is to a forum for old corn pickers. Good stuff!

Edited by Don(MI) - 27 Sep 2012 at 8:00am

KGood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KGood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2012 at 8:54am
Seems like alot of people had an IH picker at one time. But I didn't notice anybody have one still running. Were they cheap and disposable?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic