This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Model M

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Model M
    Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 2:06pm
Hello all new here, I just picked up a model M the engine is stuck can’t find number on transmission but engine makes it a 1939. Any parts sources for these? Thanks!!
Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 9:10pm
Pfouts Family Farm LLC.
Congratulations
Norm Meinert
After years of providing Allis-Chalmers restoration parts, Norm has decided to retire. Thank You for years of dedication to the Allis-Chalmers community.

As of Dec. 1, 2018 all of Norm's parts are available from us! PFOUTS FAMILY FARM LLC.
Parts for many Allis-Chalmers Models
Specializing in models A, E, K, U, UC, M and Continental

Mark and Rosie Pfouts
13040 State Route 700
Hiram, OH 44234

PFOUTSFAMILYFARM@GMAIL.COM
Intake & Exhaust Manifolds
Waterpumps & Parts
Piston rings & sleeves
Valve & guides
Aircleaner Oil Cups
Radiator Cores & Gaskets
Brake Bands
Amp, Oil, Temp, TB Guages
Gaskets & Gasket Sets
Full Engine Rebuild Kits
T-Handle Gas Caps
and Much Much More!!
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 10:56pm
That M with the PTO looks very familiar to me, was it sitting with an All Crop combine by any chance?
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 2:11am
I can't believe how straight it is. Looks real good. For that PTO miner leak I'd try a quart of brake fluid in it and run it for a while,  at least run it around until it warms up good. Those old seals dry and get hard over time but brake fluid softens them and makes them swell.               Leon
GreenOrange View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenOrange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 6:57am
Congratulations on the M - they are a favorite of mine.  By appearances, it looks to be in pretty solid condition!  Pfouts is a good place to start, as well as placing wanted ads in the classified ads section of the forum.  

By some of the features, I believe your M is earlier than a 1939, probably more in the 35-36 range, but parts can always have been changed too.  Your M is the wide-tread version too, so when you find the serial number it will begin with a WM.  Congratulations again!
Tad1991 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 7:23am
Could be earlier, I found the spot that i believe the number should be, It only has a Y stamped into it. The tractor was sitting kinda in a ditch next to a green fuel tank trailer.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 7:40am
Tad1991,
Congrats on the M. Friend of mine (Ted) has one with engine issues too. 
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenOrange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 11:42am
The earliest M's had the serial stamped behind the master clutch inspection cover.  Here are the two locations I've seen most M serials stamped.  I think I may have seen one with it stamped on the rear of the machine, but it had some very involved attachments including an operators platform.  Would love to see more pictures if you have them.

Edited by GreenOrange - 01 Dec 2020 at 11:43am
knkrein1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knkrein1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 12:21pm
So Jake did you move the old M with that Willy's Overland truck? What the year of birth of that truck, I have a 1956 & a 1958 setting in my barn.
Ken R.
Tad1991 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 12:31pm
No number under the clutch cover spot. Here are more pics.
Tad1991 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 12:33pm
It’s a 1948, we used it to pull it around at our place, actually came from same ranch the M did.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenOrange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 7:43am
Thanks for the additional pictures - it sure does look nice.  I suppose the main housing may have been replaced at some point, negating the serial number.  Would have to go through the features to make a better determination of year.  Doesn't really matter though - it's great example of an M either way!
Tad1991 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 2:20pm
Let me know if you would like any pictures of anything specific, the machine was the right price for me at free and isn’t my first crawler, I have caterpillars and internationals. I plan on getting the engine running and it mechanically sound and leaving it in it’s working clothes.
Tad1991 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 2:38pm
Hello everybody thought I’d post an update, got the engine free and turning well. Gonna be putting it back together this coming weekend.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 8:26pm
If your M has a replaced case and no serial number, get ahold of those brothers from Gadsen Alabama and get them to stamp it #1 Wink Just be sure that you get them to do it right side up LOL
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Alance View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 8:35am
I was speaking with mark from pfouts and ordered parts for my m crawler. He then fell off the face of the earth. Any ideas what’s going on or other AC resources?
Alance View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 8:36am
I was speaking with mark from pfouts and ordered parts for my m crawler. He then fell off the face of the earth. Any ideas what’s going on or other AC resources?
WM5377 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WM5377 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 9:35am
I just recieved a email from him yesterday, reguarding a available parts list for the "M's"
I dont know them personally or at all. I hope they get back to you though, hopefully its just a mix up or whatever. They dont seem like the kinda people who'd do anyone dirty, but im also new here so i really dont know.
everett048 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everett048 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 11:06am
I was speaking to Mark last night all is well. Just had a big order delivered to the uk.
Pfouts Family Farm View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pfouts Family Farm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 4:33pm
Adam,

Have been meaning to call you.  I will give you a call!
adamblantz View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamblantz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 9:33pm
Got a call. Was good to hear he’s ok! Thanks for the replies all.
Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 12:06pm
Does it have a brazed crack repair on the carb side of the block?
jwal10 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwal10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2024 at 11:45am
We had 2 Model M's growing up on the farm. One wide, one narrow. We overhauled the narrow's engine. In the end we used the wide one for parts. We liked the narrow to log with and it had a small winch. They were sold at the farm sale in 1980, 1 running, 1 parts....James 

Edited by jwal10 - 25 Jan 2024 at 11:45am
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamblantz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2024 at 5:30am
I don’t think so. Mine was owned by famous zin grower Richard Suaret
Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 1:09pm
The only reason I ask is because I looked at a Model M back in the 80's over the hill in Sunflower Valley on Hyway 41 on the way to Fresno, as I remember it had a PTO like yours and I think some kind of hydraulics for the All Crop sitting next to it. I took a trailer to bring it home but the engine was stuck and there was a sizable crack in the block and so I decided not to buy it, I regret that decision. There was a McCormick Deering 10-20 sitting there as well and try as I might, it was not for sale. I don't know what happened to any of them. It just peaked my curiosity when I saw the PTO unit on yours, there couldn't have been very many of those around here and they were probably used to run All Crops, one of the very few PTO possible combines of the day.
FarmerChuck View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerChuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2024 at 11:59am
Purchased a Model M.  Don't really need another project, but ""price was too good" to pass up Smile!! 

New to forum. Is operator, service or parts manual available free on line?  Can purchase manuals from Jensales or others, but have found free access in past to Mercedes Benz, Chrysler and some others. 

Is there a group or whatever specific to M/WM (or U/UC for engine) here somewhere?  I am not good with forums, searches, posting and the like.  Should I start a new topic for my project specifically?  Thanks in advance for any help/advice
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamblantz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2024 at 4:44am
mine doesn’t have a pto or cracked block and don’t think i posted a pic would like to but not sure how to do it. I got the engine running and a new radiator. Despite the rebuild kit for the carb that i got from Pfouts, it’s not being a good team player. You think that one on 41 is gone? I am in Paso Robles so thats not too far. Any recommendations on other carbs that might work? Or carb guy to whip it into shape? My mechanic thinks i should ditch the project but i am invested and stubborn.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerChuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2024 at 11:17am
Description of problem(s)?  Hard to start, rough idle, won't run smooth at higher RPM Intermittent misfires, loading up (too rich), runs then dies, runs but low power, etc? Sure fuel supply is good: fresh fuel (Nonethanol premium or aviation fuel worth it for trouble shooting, I think), no contamination from tank/sediment bowl, good flow, carb bowl filling properly? How does Adjusting idle and main jets change way it runs? Ditto moving choke. 

Are you sure governor and throttle rod (passing thru block from right side) are moving carb butterfly as they should? Have you tried judicious use of starting fluid? Remove air cleaner connection so you can work directly at carb intake if not already doing so. 

Are you confident your carb kit install is "right"?  These are a very simple carb, but still a carb so number of ways it can "not be a team player"!! You gave it a good soak/cleaning with carb cleaner and compressed air before rebuild, correct"

Lost count number of times I have worked on fuel (carb, etc) problems only to discover Ignition was biggest issue, and vice versa.  And have had both, which is really a pain to diagnose. 
Many Projects, too little time! AC Model M dozer with winch, MF40, MF35 Utility, IH 606, Fordson Super Dexta, Fordson Super Major, Pettibone Super 8
WM5377 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WM5377 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2024 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by FarmerChuck FarmerChuck wrote:

Purchased a Model M.  Don't really need another project, but ""price was too good" to pass up Smile!! 

New to forum. Is operator, service or parts manual available free on line?  Can purchase manuals from Jensales or others, but have found free access in past to Mercedes Benz, Chrysler and some others. 

Is there a group or whatever specific to M/WM (or U/UC for engine) here somewhere?  I am not good with forums, searches, posting and the like.  Should I start a new topic for my project specifically?  Thanks in advance for any help/advice

Im fairly new as well but also working on a "M". Not sure on the manual being free online but it is pretty cheap if I remember correctly. 
Haven't found any specific group on the "M" Im also not to familiar with forums but have been posting some of my progress. It seems like its the norm to make a post about your project ect or any advice ect.
Don't have much on advice but there are a few others on here that know alot more about the "M"s and also about the forum. 
Good luck look forward to seeing your post/ project. If you wanna check mine out its currently under the 'Allis "M" radiator rebuild' post.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerChuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2024 at 7:37pm
Manuals are pretty cheap: Operators, Service and Parts set $55 PDF, $141. Paper (Jensales).  Not certain the set covers my engine/vintage, but apt to be big help. I have seen your "Allis M radiator rebuild". Impressive work!  I am really hoping my new purchase does not need this level of reconstruction!! 

Appreciate you taking time and effort to do such a good posting.  Check out Farmer Clay Allis Chalmers M Restoration YouTube if U haven't yet done so.

Many Projects, too little time! AC Model M dozer with winch, MF40, MF35 Utility, IH 606, Fordson Super Dexta, Fordson Super Major, Pettibone Super 8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic