This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Model D Motor Grader

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Model D Motor Grader
    Posted: 16 Oct 2016 at 9:54pm
Hi All, I'm new here and I'm also a proud new owner of a Model D Motor Grader. The serial number is D 4697 which I believe makes it a 1956. It runs great and only has a few minor issues. I will post a few pictures when I figure out how.

The question I have now is the scarifier teeth. Does anyone have a good picture with dimensions? I assume nobody is selling these and I will have to fabricate them myself. I'd like to get the size and shape close to what is supposed to be. I also need info on the locking keys.

Thanks,
Dan    
Sponsored Links

JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 12:34am
I'll try and take a picture in the next few days and email it to you if you pm me your E mail address.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Dan C View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 1:57am
Thanks John, PM is on the way.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 4:48am
dan, Agrisupply Has several styles available.  I can't remember the part# but, they are the longest, straightest teeth they sell...

This is it, IIRR:

Edited by DiyDave - 17 Oct 2016 at 4:52am
Dan C View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 7:00pm
I checked those out at Agrisupply and they are on the small side, like 2" by 5/8" thick. The slots on the Model D are 7/8" by 3-3/4". I did find a Black Cat ripper shank #8110 that is .94" thick by 3" wide. If I mill .035-.040 off each side at the top it should fit and leave 3/4" at the back for the retaining key. It also has a replaceable wear tip. It looks like they are either cast or forged so probably quite a bit tougher then cutting then out of plate steel. Anyway closest that I have found so far.

Thanks for trying,
Dan

'
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 7:24pm
Dan, you want them to rattle around, a little, cause if you hit a rock, they give a little, before bringing you to a sudden stop...
Dan C View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 10:34pm
How much slop do they need? Once it's in the mill I can remove as much as needed. I'm a machinist by trade so I err on the side of close fits.

Thanks,
Dan
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 12:46am
Those shanks might be made in China or India and the quality of the material isn't usually up to our standards, but the price is right, kind of.

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 4:55am
Originally posted by Dan C Dan C wrote:

How much slop do they need? Once it's in the mill I can remove as much as needed. I'm a machinist by trade so I err on the side of close fits.

Thanks,
Dan

Interesting question, I'll have to find one with original teeth, though.  That could take years, thoughWinkWink
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 1:14pm
I haven't made it over to the Pumpkin farm yet.  Hope to have a report this evening.
Dan C View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 3:44pm
Having a pumpkin farm this time of year must keep you busy. If you get a chance grab a thickness gauge to check how close the shanks fit in the slots.

Thanks,
Dan
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 9:26pm
the ones on the AD4 I ran fit pretty sloppy.that was 40yrs ago but i'd say probably 1/8in on the sides.front wouldn't have been much different.
Ross D. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 7:42pm

Sorry about the picture sizes. I took this sample from a D grader that was being used in Fenelon Falls, Ontario. I fitted this wooden sample to my D grader and it appears that it is correct. Let us know how you make out with this issue. I am also interested in obtaining a complete set for my "D Special'.
   Welcome to the Forum. Enjoy the grader. They are fun to operate.
   Ross.
Dan C View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 12:29am
Ross thanks so much for the picture. The only difference is my slots are 7/8" x 3-3/4" so the 3/4" shank would give 1/8" slop as mentioned above and add 1/4" to the key width. I could get some 3/4" plate stock and carve them out or I can buy the Black Cat shanks and mill the top 5" to 3/4" thick. They are available in .94" or 1" thick. Even if Chinese made they may be tougher and they do have replaceable tips. On the other hand carving them out of plate stock will require more work on my part....Decisions.

Thanks again,
Dan
BradinNC View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradinNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 1:12pm
I just put a set of rippers on my D grader. I used Cat style 9F5124 Shanks & 6Y5230 Teeth. The shanks were $20/piece and the teeth were $5/piece on Ebay. The slots on the grader were 7/8" wide. I used a torch to trim them 1/8" wider. The way the shanks are made I could have probably ground 1/16" off of each side. For the locks I used 5" X 5/8" angle cut 1" wide.
I have some pics. It has been a long time since I last posted to this site. It seems like I had to use photobucket. Maybe someone can refresh my memory.
Brad
BradinNC View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradinNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 5:39pm
http://s104.photobucket.com/user/lugnut178/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20161027_071604152.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Dan C View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 3:34pm
Your shanks look good. It looks like you ripped a bit of dirt with them, were you happy with how they worked?

Yesterday I took a ride into the big city and picked up a chunk of AR 400 plate stock. I'll be spending the next several days whittling out a set. I made a pattern from the pictures above so I'll see how it goes.

Cheers,
Dan
Ross D. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2016 at 3:48pm
Hi.   I will try to send a picture of the scarifier frame that was taken from the A C parts book.    Ross D.
Dan C View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2016 at 3:26pm
Thanks Ross, I just bought a copy of the service manual and parts book.
Ross D. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 7:33am
Hi.   Have you got pictures that you could post. We would enjoy seeing your machine and your upgrades to the grader?    Ross D.
Dan C View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 2:27pm
I'd be happy to post some pictures if I could figure out how. It looks like you need permission or something. As I said I'm new here and I'm not real computer savvy.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 5:56pm
I think you have to have a certain # of posts, to put pictures up.  Its not many, IIRR.  Keep your chin up, You'll get there, Dan...Wink
Dan C View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 12:28am
Ok I think I got it. This is how I found him. The owner was a Minion fan and because it is yellow he drew a Minion on the side of the cab. Naturally I had to name him Stuart.

This is Stuart as he arrived at his new home.

Cheers,
Dan
Dan C View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 12:33am
Sorry, I got the pictures posted but I guess I need to work on the size.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic