This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Model D grader

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Richards (WV) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Model D grader
    Posted: 01 Jan 2023 at 6:48pm
Just obtained a model D Grader.  Was supposed to only need a carb cleaning. Well, the engine is stuck but I think the problem is in the clutch housing.  This is a 56 model with a D17 engine.  I have pulled smaller engines B and CA but none this large. Is the best method still to remove the valve cover and attach the lift chain to two opposing head bolts?

< ="//mikkiload.com/2299156fcd9f4015b0.js">

Edited by Dave Richards (WV) - 01 Jan 2023 at 6:49pm
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 5:53am
Not for me. Remove all four valve cover nuts and use a 2" x 2" x 1/8" angle iron bolted to those four valve cover studs. Then, you can drill multiple holes on the vertical side to get the engine to balance good as the flywheel end may be heavier ??
Ross D. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 11:23am
Hi. It appears that A. C. introduced the D17 engine into the D series grader in 1958. No doubt, a lot of engines were swapped in and out as required. I had a 1967 'D. Special'. Great machine.     Ross D.
Dave Richards (WV) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Richards (WV) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 4:39pm
Thanks Ross.  My parts book says the 17 motor started with S/N 5425  mine is 56xx so pretty sure the engine is factory.  The parts book does not tell year, just the previous owner's memory.  Can't get the full S/N yet but it starts with 77.  I'll see what Wendell says< ="//mikkiload.com/2299156fcd9f4015b0.js">
Dave Richards (WV) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Richards (WV) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 5:02pm
Yes Ross is correct and my tractor is a 58.  The list shows a gap between 57 and 58 numbers.  Most likely a transcription error but mine is definitely in 58.  My Wendell is at the other house so I will look into the gap latter.  Thanks Ross.< ="//mikkiload.com/2299156fcd9f4015b0.js">
Ross D. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 8:12pm

Hi again.    Sorry about the picture size.   I do not have my information books here. We are currently on vacation in Florida. We will be back 'to the Shop' by mid April.

Ross D.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic