This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mitchell Snap Hitch and Snap-coupler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mitchell Snap Hitch and Snap-coupler
    Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 8:44pm
Does anyone have any information about the Mitchell Snap Hitch and the Snap-Coupler? Did the Mitchell Snap Hitch develop into the Snap-Coupler? These are both Allis-Chalmers ads. (The Snap -Coupler ad is from Austin Fredericks' website) Bill Long, do you have any ideas about the Mitchell Snap Hitch? Thanks, Dean
Dean(IA)
Sponsored Links

Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 8:51pm
That's a neat add. Never seen a exhaust pipe like on the B
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 8:51pm
Thank you for posting this. I have never seen it before.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 9:19pm
Be nice to know what the date was of Mitchell's advertising. If it is before 1955 or so, maybe he did invent the concept of snap-coupler hitching.
GreenOrange View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenOrange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 11:23pm
Knowing the year would definitely be nice! The tractor in the ad for the Mitchell Snap Hitch almost looks like an English B to me... Perhaps they marketed the Snap Coupler in the US and Mitchell Snap Hitch in Europe.
Dean(IA) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 7:44am
The Victoria Museum in Melbourne, Australia posted the ad from
Mitchell & Co. Footscray West, Melbourne, Australia. Their post
said that the ad is from 1950. I will try to contact Mitchell and
see if the company is still in business and has any more information
on the Snap Hitch.
  Also, you are correct, it is an English B.
Dean(IA)
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 9:07am
Originally posted by Mikez Mikez wrote:

I think that is the air inlet.
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 9:19am
Originally posted by Dusty MI Dusty MI wrote:

Originally posted by Mikez Mikez wrote:

I think that is the air inlet.

I see the normal "mushroom" cap on the air cleaner.

Considering the fires Australia is known for, could it be a spark arrestor?

AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 6:39pm
Page 32 of the B parts book shows that air cleaner as the one for a power unit.  I suppose it would be very easy to put that on a tractor.
AaronSEIA
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 11:19pm
So, this particular tractor has two air cleaner intakes?

And one of them exits the hood where the exhaust pipe
normally would?

I'm still thinking spark arrestor....with a little googling 
I found a few references to spark arrestors for Australian
tractors including formal tests of them.

I know there are some Aussies on here who surely would
know.

Edited by Brian G. NY - 09 Feb 2020 at 11:44pm
34 Airflow View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 34 Airflow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 4:04am
Mitchell farm machinery were a distributor of Allis Chalmers tractors here in Australia from 1946 onwards in Victoria. I would say that the Snap Coupler advertised in this ad is merely just advertising the factory product. Mitchell imported the tractors but most implements out here were manufactured by Mitchell and Co so A/C implements are very rare. I have heard they developed ploughs and other implements to suit the A/C Snap Coupler but have never seen any.
1937 Model A, 1937 Model U, 1929 United, 1945 Model C, 1949 WF, 1948 WC, 1956 D272 and a Roto Baler
http://www.australianallischalmersregistry.com/
GreenOrange View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenOrange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 5:10am
Thanks for explaining Travis and thanks to Dean for starting this thread! Great piece of AC history that I had never heard or seen mentioned.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 5:14am
But, the problem with that theory is this: A-C didn't offer the "snap-coupler" system on the WD45 until late 1953 at s/n 151,381 and it was standard equipment. So how could a model "B" in 1950 have it when the WD45 had not yet been built ??
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 5:25am
re:... So how could a model "B" in 1950 have it when the WD45 had not yet been built ??

Well A-C was known to be ahead of its time !!Wink
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 6:28am
If you look way to the right of the add it also lists the CA and the WD45. The top picture appears to be WD or WD45.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 6:51am
Remember, the later B's could be had with a snap coupler hitch.  In the States, the B overlapped the entire production of CA's minus the last year of them.
AaronSEIA
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

But, the problem with that theory is this: A-C didn't offer the "snap-coupler" system on the WD45 until late 1953 at s/n 151,381 and it was standard equipment. So how could a model "B" in 1950 have it when the WD45 had not yet been built ??

Does anyone have any information about the Mitchell Snap Hitch and the Snap-Coupler? Did the Mitchell Snap Hitch develop into the Snap-Coupler? These are both Allis-Chalmers ads. (The Snap -Coupler ad is from Austin Fredericks' website) Bill Long, do you have any ideas about the Mitchell Snap Hitch? Thanks, Dean

I think that was Dean's question........could the Allis Snap-Coupler have developed FROM the Mitchell Snap Hitch?
Obviously, the '50 B could not have had an Allis Snap-Coupler however, a Mitchell Snap-Hitch could have been bought for it.
Could Allis have liked it enough to "invent" their own?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 2:47pm
Well, the "Roto-Baler" was someone else's creation and AC bought it from him. Nothing illegal or immoral about that. It's just how business rolls sometimes. I had a neighbor 50 years ago who built a self-loading tank type manure spreader. He used it for a couple of years on his farm and then sold it (and the idea) to a Farm Equipment Manufacturer.
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 3:24pm
Do we have a date for that Mitchell brochure?  When was it published?
AaronSEIA
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 3:35pm
The original post said 1950.
200 10and20 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 10and20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 3:47pm
That is 2 separate ads the snap coupler was invented by La Crosse Works on August 13th 1953 by Willard H Tanke. You can look up the full patent. My guess is the Mitchell hitch was a aftermarket for a B.

Edited by 200 10and20 - 10 Feb 2020 at 3:49pm
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by 200 10and20 200 10and20 wrote:

That is 2 separate ads the snap coupler was invented by La Crosse Works on August 13th 1953. You can look up the full patent. My guess is the Mitchell hitch was a aftermarket for a B.

If the original ad is indeed from 1950, then the Mitchell hitch is 3 years newer than the AC one.  All the internet shows about a Mitchell hitch is 2 pieces of literature with the identical tractor setup on them.  One page did say the original ad was 4 pages long, but they only show the image we are discussing.
AaronSEIA
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 7:52pm
Are they guessing when they said the Mitchell ad is from 1950? Anyhow, it would help some to have a better picture of the complete hitch. Looking at the provided pic, it doesn't look like an AC snap coupler under the tractor to me.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 7:46am
Originally posted by Lonn Lonn wrote:

Are they guessing when they said the Mitchell ad is from 1950? Anyhow, it would help some to have a better picture of the complete hitch. Looking at the provided pic, it doesn't look like an AC snap coupler under the tractor to me.

https://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/items/1504564 ; This is probably the source for the image.  "1950 circa" is all it says. 

I can't tell what is under that B.  Looks like the plow hitch to me, but there must be some kind of quick release to it.  It sure doesn't look like the AC snap coupler for the B.  I'll guess some kind of aftermarket setup.
AaronSEIA
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 8:07am
And it may look nothing like what A-C came out with, BUT the basic idea of a snap/hook type hitch may have come from Australia.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 2:23pm
Could that be an exhaust extension?  Seeing as it is an Australian tractor, wouldn't it make sense that there is an extension and then a spark arrestor on top of that?

Hard to ell from the pic, but it looks to be a pin hitch.  I've been wrong before.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 3:32pm

That brochure must be 1954 or later.

Per the Allis CA Parts Catalog of 1960, only the last CA of 1953,

CA 31423, had a Snap Coupler.

WD-45 came out in mid 1953, and one of it's features was Snap Coupler.

Gary
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by Gary Gary wrote:

That brochure must be 1954 or later.

Per the Allis CA Parts Catalog of 1960, only the last CA of 1953,

CA 31423, had a Snap Coupler.

WD-45 came out in mid 1953, and one of it's features was Snap Coupler.

Gary

You're referring to the A-C brochure on the right?

The brochure on the left is the one from Mitchell.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

Could that be an exhaust extension?  Seeing as it is an Australian tractor, wouldn't it make sense that there is an extension and then a spark arrestor on top of that?

Hard to ell from the pic, but it looks to be a pin hitch.  I've been wrong before.

If you read the brochure, it speaks of backing up to the implement and it "snaps" onto the coupler.
It then says to unhitch, simply pull the release lever and drive away.

So, it may not have been exactly like the patented A-C system, but it worked basically the same.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 5:25pm
In the land of Oz, things happen differently, with regard to patent laws, and concessions the company might have had to make, to allow AC to sell tractors, there...Wink

The bell, under the tractor, sure looks like the original AC part...
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic