This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Metal roof paint

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Metal roof paint
    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 7:39pm
Any recommendations on your favorite metal roof paint that you like?
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Sponsored Links

klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 7:49pm
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 7:58pm
I got some at Lowe's called Silver Seal 300 Fibered Aluminum coating. I've used similar stuff before, but not sure if it was the same brand. It has to be brushed on, but it will stop a leaky roof form leaking, and it last a lot longer than spray on. I need to do all my barns and sheds this year.

Edited by Ranse - 24 Mar 2020 at 7:59pm
tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 9:51pm
i just use oil based barn paint.   if u have a badly rusted roof.  you can spray it on 2 years in a row.   best to spray in the spring as it takes all summer to dry.
AC from the start of my families farming career till the end!
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 10:16pm
The stuff with the fiberglass in it..  It looks like crap in the bucket,  but ends up a nice silver color when dried.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 7:54pm
Thanks guys I think I am going to go with the oil based paint again as that is what is already on there. It has some rust spots so will use a rust converter on it first then hit it with the top coat.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 11:28pm
F/S COOP used to have a paint called Zink Cromate. It was very heavy and silver. It was used on fertilizer spreaders and held up well. Now they sell a special white paint to do LP tanks. It is supposed to be slightly elastic so it won't crack like white oil base. I have a gallon in the basement. If the #2 son ever gets my cement mixer back to me, I'll get a pad poured and get my house tank up and painted.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2021 at 2:19am
i used some kinda tar stuff on an old grainery, went on black and was silver when it dried. has lasted about 20+ years so far, wish i knew what it was called. sorry.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2021 at 4:44am
Fibrated aluminum asphalt paint.  It goes on with a brush, never really dries, ends up kinda soft and tacky.  If you sit on it, it'll turn your pants black...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2021 at 5:33am
No matter what 'paint' you put on the top (rain side) of a tin roof, it only slooows down the inevitable...
Water(condensation) on the inside( bottom) continues to form rust, tin roof expands/contracts makes leaks at the nails..so more rust...and,sadly more water INSIDE to rot the wood....makes nails weaker, more movement,more water in, more rust, sigh...
kinda 'nature of the beast' thing.....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2021 at 8:15pm
Well I finished painting the barn in May. I tarted with washing it with TSP and then treated the few rust spots with a rust converter. The last step was painting it with an oil based aluminum paint. 14 gallons worth.

Told my sister that I won't be doing it again 10 years from now when it wIll need it again.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2021 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

No matter what 'paint' you put on the top (rain side) of a tin roof, it only slooows down the inevitable...
Water(condensation) on the inside( bottom) continues to form rust, tin roof expands/contracts makes leaks at the nails..so more rust...and,sadly more water INSIDE to rot the wood....makes nails weaker, more movement,more water in, more rust, sigh...
kinda 'nature of the beast' thing.....

Jay the inside tin still looks brand new and it was built in 1960. It is galvanized so that may have something to do with it?
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Jasmyerine View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasmyerine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 11:00am
I'm new here and excited to join the discussion. When it comes to metal roof paint, I'd like to suggest checking out Roofers in Port St Lucie. They have a website at https://www.theroofersofportstlucie.com/ that might be helpful. Although I personally often work with different kinds, this one seems more convenient to me so far. But you have to be careful when choosing and focus on your needs. Maybe some experienced members can chime in with their favorite metal roof paint recommendations?

Edited by Jasmyerine - 23 May 2023 at 7:46am
Stephen12 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephen12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 6:26am
Hello everyone..I am also faced with the decision to paint my metal roof, but I am undecided on which choice to make. Did you find the right product? Could you share the type of paint you used? Googling I came across aroof-paint, but I'm not convinced yet. I have never painted my roof before, so I appreciate your advice in advance.

Edited by Stephen12 - 30 May 2023 at 6:33am
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 10:28am
BEFORE you paint the roof, get up there with your screw gun and enough LONG SCREWS for every screw that is up there, screws long enough to penetrate the lathe.

Put one of these new screws between every screw that is up there, then, and only then, paint your roof.

In reality, you don't know which screws (or nails) might have had a few molecules of water seeping down their shanks and deteriorating their grip in the enlarged hole this has caused; this is why the wind gets under the edge of a sheet of roofing and soon peels it back.

By putting new screws centered between the existing ones, you have a fighting chance to be screwing into not-yet-rotted territory; and, by using long screws, you get a much more positive grip.

If you don't do this and decide two years later that a few screws need replacing, if the paint you used was any good to begin with, you will get up there crawling around, get glued to the roof, succumb to the heat, and dry out like a dead mouse. 

Actually, best is to run new treated deck planks, plastic is even better, vertically, in the flats of the existing metal, about sixteen inches apart, bolts/nuts/and sheet-metal washers at top, bottom, and center, through the existing lathe, and plenty of long screws everywhere else.

To these, more deck planks running laterally, about sixteen inches apart; these are your new lathe to screw your new metal to === she won't leak now and new paint in the color of your choosing as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic