This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'member the "don't ask how I know this" thread?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
David Grubb View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Grubb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'member the "don't ask how I know this" thread?
    Posted: 22 May 2012 at 1:36pm
A finishing mower set to cut at a height of 3" will not mow over the top of a partially full 2 gallon jug of engine oil. It will cut it up and throw oil all over the lawn. I don't know if this is due to CRS or an acute case of the Dumb Ass but don't set anything on the steering box in front of the radiator, check some other things, and then back out of the barn and start mowing. Again; don't ask me how I know this!
Dave
Sponsored Links

FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 1:45pm
Do not turn on the oven then answer the doorbell and go back and light a match close to the oven...you CAN ask me how I know, but that was 30 years ago and my facial hair has grown back. I figgure my glasses saved my eyeballs.
peace
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 1:49pm
Careful David, the EPA will be out and start a billion dollar clean up.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Dave Richards (WV) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Richards (WV) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 2:21pm
Floyd, now that brings back (painful) memories.  I did almost the same thing.  Set the old oven to preheat.  Lit  the pilot and went to take a shower.  Seems the flame did not go down the little tube as it should.  I came back and opened the oven door.  Now the flame goes down the tube.  There were two explosions.  One when the oven went off, and one when the right guard under my left arm went off.  Had to call off my date, smelled like burning hair for weeks.  
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 2:51pm
David.....pictures please......LOL
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
MikeinLcoMo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeinLcoMo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 3:07pm
On the grimmer side, an old friend was carrying a empty 5 gal gas can on the back of the tractor brush hogging. The can fell off and got shredded by the mower. The resulting explosion threw the brush hog back on top of the tractor breaking the guys neck and setting the whole mess on fire.
Mike56073 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike56073 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 3:16pm
    Okay, so how many other guys have laid a grease gun on a tire, forgotten about it, and found it later flattened on the ground???????
Dean(IA) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 3:24pm
I have replaced several side hoods on 7000 series tractors
for customers. They had taken the hood off and leaned it
against the rear tractor tire and then.....
The side hoods don't come out so good after you run
them over.
CAdon View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAdon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 3:32pm
at our house it's the morning coffee.  1. throw out the old coffee & filter.  2. put in a new filter.  3. put new coffee in the filter.  4. empty the coffeepot.  5. fill with water.  6. pour water into the storage tank... 7. not onto the grounds. 8. replace the empty pot into the coffee maker.  9. press the start button.
an awful lot to remember before your first coffee in the morning.  i believe we have now tried each and every variation individually and in combination of skipping one or more of the steps.  some are messier than others.
52 CA, 41 B and a little B1    oh, yeah... and an 8N ford snuck in there, too.

Reindeer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reindeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 4:32pm
We were heading across the Andes of Peru, and before departing we decided to check the cables on the electric winch on the old Bronco we were using.  Some wires looked a bit rough, so got out a good Swiss army knige and did soem cleanup. 
At that point, someone suggested a picture.  Yep still got the picture of us and  the knife, sitting on the bumper.  

AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 7:54pm
I ran a grease gun thru a haybine once, it didn't survive.
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
dave63 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 8:46pm
When working on silo unloaders always account for all of your tools before you turn it on.
It is a pain in the rump when you need your 3/4" wrench to take the silo unloader blower appart and it is jammed in it.
The universal answer to all questions is yes, how much do you want to spend?
dave63 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 8:53pm
Oh yea, cell phones don't fair out so well when the silo unloader is turned on ether if left in there.
The universal answer to all questions is yes, how much do you want to spend?
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 8:54pm
Run over a new  Case knife  that i was cutting fert bags with and broke pretty bone handles.
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 9:21pm
Hired hands on our farm (My older brothers friends)had a bad habit of leaving the hayhook lying on the back tire of the tractor.Strange how the hayhook would not bounce out of the path of the tire when the tractor moved
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 10:00pm
Don't park an L2 with a 6 row corn head face the broad side of your WD while on a hill even if you have locked the brakes and even if it's only about 4 feet between the tractor and combine. It results in two extra holes in one rear tractor tire, a bent and broken corn snout and a tractor sitting at about a 40 degree angle. Don't ask me how I know this.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 10:01pm
Wow, you just brought back a funny memory for me....

At about 8 years of age, I decided riding an old lawn mower around the yard, was the cool thing to do.

Welp, one day dad told me, better check the oil in that mower.

So I did.

Check the oil, with the ENGINE RUNNING...........

Black oil everywhere, down my shirt, pants, hat.....all over the engine.

Got my first lesson in checking oil that day, SHUT THE ENGINE OFF!!LOLLOL

And ya, BTW....'Don't ask me how I know this'!!!
Galatians 5:22-24

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 10:06pm
Another one. Just because you hear a strange dog barking at 10 PM outside your house doesn't mean you automatically grab the gun and step outside to fire one in the air. It could result in the sound of horse hooves gallopping, then the sound of steer hooves gallopping then the sound of fence wire stretching and then a midnight tour of the neighborhood. In that order. Don' ask me how I know this.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
LoggerLee View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoggerLee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 10:16pm
Don't bother trying to have someone who you think "must" know more than you do about something fix it,they never do. 
Please don't ask me how I know.
Harvey/pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harvey/pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 10:37pm
Lonn, methinks you should have fired into the dog instead of into the air, then the dang dog would not have chased the horses & steers thru the fence! That is what happened, right??...Harvey
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 2:06am
well David...yer wife shouldn't have left that jug laying there!
Jim Lindemood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Lindemood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 6:56am
Well -- you guys are making me feel a lot better - thought I must be the only one who could do such things -- LOL.
D17JIM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D17JIM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 8:45am
Don't leave your WD45 on a hill above your D17 with a 170 picker mounted on it.  Narrow front of 45 can run over all three snouts and rear wheel stop in the row closest to hill.  Don't ask how but was many years ago.   Jim
AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 9:34am
A Bush hog and a 100' garden hose do not mix! Don't ask me how I know this!
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
Rawleigh View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rawleigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 9:41am
Originally posted by AC WD45 AC WD45 wrote:

LOL!  Been there and done that tooDead!!!
AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 9:41am
Check the bucket before scooping  load of corn into the feed grinder. You never know, you may have left a chain in it.

German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 9:45am
Following me with a camera could pay off for someone . (ENOUGH SAID !) Scott
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 10:28am
I think this theme has caused a lot of us to feel better...?and some of feel worse? : )
we all have our brain burps that cause things to happen.....peace
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 10:36am
I've heard the hand lit gas ovens could be troublesome. I know my mom gave away an otherwise perfect combination gas and wood cook stove in 1947 because she got tired of growing new eyebrows and picking the oven door off the opposite wall of the kitchen. The rest of her life, she cooked with an electric range and was very happy.

Gerald J.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 11:58am
Originally posted by AC WD45 AC WD45 wrote:

I bet they mixed just fine. Probably the unmixing that had you perplexed.Smile
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic