This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Master pin - link HD4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Master pin - link HD4
    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 2:55pm
How can you tell the master pin in links if more than one looks like the same on end? Can you tell from bushings? I need to break my tracks to repair final drive seal.Thanks Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Sponsored Links

pinball View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 3:31pm
good luck on that. I never have been able to tell on mine. had to replace a seal on mine but was able to back the adjustment far enough to get the track off. biggest problem I had was getting the inner snap ring back on. worried when I checked the oil level as there was almost none but luckily all was okay when I pulled the shaft out. I still need to replace the other side but it had some oil in it. bought a seal off the net but destroyed it during the process. got one from local dealer, it was 56 bucks but was definitely a better seal. so far no drips. installed it 9 months ago. my bearings looked good but I went ahead and replaced the outer bearing so it all seems to be okay with that side now,   good luck. norm
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 7:09pm
On a IH machine that I have ,I had to crawl under and find a pin that was different on the inside of the tracks. Still havent taken it apart and dont have plans to do it soon!:) 
Good luck!
Regards,
Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 8:22pm
On my HD5G, I found a pin that had a definite dimple in the end of it that none of the others had. I presumed that was the mater link. But I couldn't drive it out. Had my son's friend bring over his air arc. Blew a hole lengthwise through the pin, then a hammer and a punch drove it right out. If I ever get it ready to go back together, I'll have to find a new pin. darrel
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 9:30am
There will be some form of dimple or drill mark on one if not both end of your master pin, some not very noticeable but there. If cannot find that the only other method is remove tracks shoes until can see the rail pin in the gap between links, the Master link bushing is only as wide as the inner set of links, the outer link ears will have what appear as heavy washers shaped as bushing ends. Slow and tedious but saves trial and error as only the master link will separate.

On that 5G Darrel, if have ANY access to old links and pins can have a machine shop grind a old pin to a master dimension based on the service manual sizing. They can also dimple the end to find it back again. If use conventional shaft or pin material is too soft and will not last long.

Edited by DMiller - 05 Apr 2019 at 9:32am
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 10:10am
You can replace the seal without removing the track - remove sprocket from axle flange by removing bolts - axle then can be removed - check axle seal surface and in some casees a speedy sleeve and oversize seal can be used if wear on axle is bad . 
 I got seals at a bearing house (industrial supply company) by matching by size - 
Replaced 3 rear axles - rebuilt one side final drive - and replaced seals both sides and never split the track after I had had pins and bushing turned .

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Randaleky View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randaleky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 11:23pm
Tracy is spot/on . it can be done with removing the sprocket. if master pin not found .
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 9:26am
When sprocket is off be sure to check the movement or play in the outboard bearing as the material in the outter housing is not that heavy around bearing cup area and it's a common occurance the outer race will have worn into the case to allow movement of the race in the bore of case - causing play in axle - 
 Both outer cases on my HD4 had to be machined - thing is my FD 5 fiat-allis also had one case I had to have machined for new bearing race bore.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 11:21am
Thanks for info. I found the pins after much inspection. Is it easier with tracks on or off? How much trouble with them on.How did you keep tracks up out of the way? How did you remove sprocket from tracks?  I plan on new bearings and seals while I am in there. Thanks Tracy

Edited by Tracy Martin TN - 09 Apr 2019 at 4:08pm
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic