This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Making Charcoal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Making Charcoal
    Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 9:01am
      Some Time Back I had the Knack of Making Lump Charcoal in a 55 gal Drum. The kind with clamp on Lid.     Lids had a large and small bung hole plugs.   If I remember right I would pack the barrel full of smallish blocks of oak or hickory firewood.  Take out the big plug and the next time I Had a pile of brush to burn, I put the barrel of wood where the hottest fire was all around the drum.
 Drum on laying its side bung hole up.       At first just white smoke and steam blew out the bung hole. It would then blow fire out the hole burning off the gas from the wood leaving nothing but carbon(Charcoal).
       When no more fire comes  out the hole put the plug back in.  Don't open the drum until it is totally cold or your charcoal WILL all Burn Up.
      The last two drums I  tried Did not do good.   I started with Fresh Green Oak. That may be why.
      Anybody else made Charcoal this way?
Sponsored Links

Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 1:20pm
Not a expert but I know they don't care if green or dry. When I was a kid there was lot of charcoal making going on,now one guy with one small oven. It is all about limited amount of oxygen. From my vague understanding you never want flames in the oven after you have built up heat inside. You close it up with a very limited amount draft and very little smoke out.

I would suggest you plug the big bung or at least maybe cover it with a piece of flat steel to just let a bit of air in and smoke out the little bung. And my understanding is much flame is bad and burning the wood to much. 

The Europeans would only cut wood to size they could move into a pile. Cover with a mat of straw then cover that with dirt. Once lit someone tended it 24/7 until they felt it was done,then cover with more dirt to smoother. But was not unheard of that someone would fall asleep and the pile would be flaming away burn it to ashes instead of charcoal.

The Japaneses where the first in this part of the country to build rock ovens and haul the wood to a central point. With the better control of heat and draft they got a much higher percentage of there wood out as charcoal. So in a matter of very few years all charcoal was made in ovens.

As late as the 1950's there was interest in charcoal that company came in and started to build concrete block ovens with steel doors. They planned better than a dozen all side by side. Only a few where every completed,and the company was gone. The property owner let a Mexican fellow use them as long as there was a market locally. Finally they were removed for the blocks that could be salvaged.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 2:35pm
I read about similar ways as yours on some of my blacksmithing pages. I’ll see what I can find tonight. You can google I forge iron and read as a guest as well
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 5:42pm
I have a book, (somewhere), about making it that way, only they had a pipe going from the hole to down under the barrel to channel the gases back under into the fire. Once the gasses were ignited they would quit adding more fuel under the barrel, leaving it to self fire. ---- My book might be with the luni melter and lathe building books. I got the book many years ago and it used old tech. and I think thats what you are looking for! thanks; ac fleet
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 5:47pm
Old Henry Ford made Charcoal using scrap oak wood left from building Model Ts and As.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 2:13pm
Old Henry Ford was quite a engineer
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 2:20pm
That was only what he had left over after making floorboards. He speced the pallets ordered parts came in on and glory be they just happened to be the same width as his cars.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 2:39pm
I took the Jack Daniels Distillery tour years ago and if I remember right it was Sugar Maple splits about 5 feet long and stacked like a wood and mud chimney around 10 feet high, torched, then put out with water.
It was still dripping when the tour moved on so that's all I know about it.
Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 3:39pm
The train that hauled the coke out of the Indianapolis Power and Light plant ran behind my father-in-law's house in Indy, and every nite a 100 car load of coke was hauled to the Gary steel mills until they closed up.  I think this was coal mined around  Terre Haute. It was a pretty good system,,,,,,,,, Indy burned the coal gas off for power, and the mills used the coke!
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 4:13pm
Remember not making a hill in snow. getting your shovel out of the trunk, walking down the hill to the cinder pile in the tracks your car made, scooping up a shovel full, walking back up the hill, tossing those cinders in front of the drive wheel and repeating as necessary as many times as it took. Always the most fun at night and in the middle of the storm.

Edited by Walker - 09 Jan 2019 at 4:16pm
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 4:58pm
ya know, Walker, I can remember when the PennDOT strategically placed receptacles of ashes from the steel mills along hills in the winter time just for that purpose.

I was too little to remember what type of receptacle, or if they left shovels, but I do remember dad making use of them on occasion
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 5:30pm
We had cinders from the local power station the city spread LIBERALLY on the streets, even Grey cars looked NASTY!! Had a coal furnace until was eight, had a Clinker can in the basement which after cooled some got mashed up and used on the sidewalk in front of the house.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 5:56pm
In Oh they just dumped them, no shovel no receptacle. You are very lucky you don't remember carrying them, if you can imagine trying to keep balance in a 10 or 12`inch deep narrow tire track in the dark and covered in snow yourself. Almost as fun as laying in the middle of the road on your back under a car in snow or ice putting on tire chains and hoping a car didn't top the hill from the other direction before you had a chance to slither into the ditch.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 6:07pm
Not positive but I always figured a cross between coke and clinkers here. There'd be a pile near waist high and 10 ft dia every couple hundred feet along up side of bigger hills till they were gotten into.

Edited by Walker - 09 Jan 2019 at 6:12pm
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 6:20pm
And when it first rained to open the festivities you would find a nice coating of ice to chip through before you got to cinders.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 6:49pm
Now that I think about it I remember seeing cinder piles near Pittsburg years ago on the hill that has the tunnel then bridge going toward three rivers stadium. near where USS Requin is moored.
allis g View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allis g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 8:21pm
Ray you can still see the remnants of a kiln out on 46 west near York Mountain Road.  North side of 46 East of York mountain. It was built into the side of the hill on a ranch that a friend owns.
wide View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 10:13pm
 Heat is often a byproduct of many processes. Making charcoal puts off alot of extra heat.
In many countries people are beginning to  put a metal can of wood in their cooking and heating fires to make charcoal  as they cook/heat.
 Using a fire they were going to build anyway and making a byproduct they can sell.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 2:07am
At one time a LOT of years ago, the city of La Crosse used to put all the cinders down the alleys.  I still have scars from them on my knees.  Bicycles didn't fare very well down those alleys.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 2:18am
Tree tops don't make good firewood.  
I remember delivering a load of unsplit small rounds to a rich customer.  When we were unloading the Maid stopped us and said, " Mister Standard He say Limbs Don't make good Wood"   So.   We took it back home and split it into Half Rounds and brought it back.
      Tops Makes good Charcoal. The brush gets burnt to cook off what's in the barrel. Nothing goes to Waste
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 6:38am
About all sold around here is tops after logged a area. The limbs will run from 2 or 3" to around 6" where splits easy, cuts quick and uses up what takes DECADES to rot down. Smaller brushy crap is cut down where will lay flat if not pushed to large piles where does rot fast while still making a decent hide for small game.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 8:19am
Originally posted by Walker Walker wrote:

Now that I think about it I remember seeing cinder piles near Pittsburg years ago on the hill that has the tunnel then bridge going toward three rivers stadium. near where USS Requin is moored.

there is or was a PenDOT cinders/ash dump station along that stretch of road, and a truck runaway also, but to my knowledge cinders/ashes for public was never places along the road there
Wait for the Lord;
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 8:20am
Ken, sorry for hijacking your post!
Wait for the Lord;
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 10:55am
I used to live in Athens, OH, which is 1 quite hilly and 2, in Ohio's coal country.  They used coal cinders on the roads after a snow or freezing rain.  I don't recall ever seeing piles or containers of them though...interesting topic.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 1:26pm
I'm north central oh. I've seen most of the piles I speak of in northern Knox county and I would hesitate to rule out them still using them today on occasion though I haven't noticed any for some years.

Edited by Walker - 10 Jan 2019 at 1:28pm
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 2:13pm
Some township still use cider around here in Ohio the last I knew they were getting them from Rittman
cabinhollow View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 5:27pm
I was at a track meet in OH about 10 years ago and the track was cider.
After so many races, they would re-chalk the lines.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by LouSWPA LouSWPA wrote:

ya know, Walker, I can remember when the PennDOT strategically placed receptacles of ashes from the steel mills along hills in the winter time just for that purpose.

I was too little to remember what type of receptacle, or if they left shovels, but I do remember dad making use of them on occasion

I remember seein them around Biglerville, back in the '80's.  I think the shovel was optional, usually wore out junk...Wink
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 12:20am
Originally posted by tadams(OH) tadams(OH) wrote:

Some township still use cider around here in Ohio the last I knew they were getting them from Rittman
   I'm surprised you don't remember the piles along rt3 between Jelloway and Amity. They used to pile them along rt97 on what they called Chilco Hill many years ago in Ashland county too. I think I remember pappy saying they came from the mill in Mansfield that was Cyclops steel at the time.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 12:49am
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

I used to live in Athens, OH, which is 1 quite hilly and 2, in Ohio's coal country.  They used coal cinders on the roads after a snow or freezing rain.  I don't recall ever seeing piles or containers of them though...interesting topic.
    Why on earth are there so many black haired women in Athens? When I drove truck they'd send me there everybody had black hair then I'd go to Allegan Mi. and they were all blondes. I never did figure that out thought maybe the ones in Mi. were Scandinavian but I don't know,    I've got tp apologize for the derailment too Ken.

Edited by Walker - 11 Jan 2019 at 1:00am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic