This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Magneto question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMiller/NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Magneto question
    Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 5:03pm
Will a Fairbanks Morse FM 4B magneto work on a 39B.
Sponsored Links

morton(pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morton(pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 5:39pm
I believe you mean FMJ4B. Yes, they were the stock magneto that came on the B's. The FMX replaced the FMJ in the 50's. I was told that the FMX never came from the factory, but was instead a dealer shelf part swap if the FMJ went bad.
tododell48 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tododell48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 6:21pm
Yes the fmj4b will deinitely work.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 7:41pm
If it is just an FM 4B and not an FMJ 4B then I'm not sure if it will work or not - they are two different models. I think I've seen the FM 4B mags on WC's before, but I don't know about B's. Hopefully someone else with more experience will chime in.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
TMiller/NC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMiller/NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 8:34pm
I've looked again fellows and there isn't any J or X just FM 4B.  Tim
GlenninPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenninPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 8:54pm
Check the lag angle set on the FM 4B as opposed to the FMJ 4B. I believe, if my memory serves me right, (which it doesn't sometimes) that you need  a 30 degree lag angle for the spark advance to make the 125 engine run at it's best.
TMiller/NC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMiller/NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 9:15pm

The reason for all the question is........ this magneto was on the tractor when I bought it.  Have not had the engine run, but the coil appears to be bad in the mag.  If it isn't correct for the B engine I'll look for another rather than have this one repaired.     Thanks Tim

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic