This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Machinist question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Machinist question
    Posted: 01 Feb 2024 at 5:29pm
I have a 1 1/4” shaft. I need to cut 6 inches off of it and machine a snapping groove in the end.
It’s too bog to slide through the head on my lathe.
I’m thinking Chuck the end to be cut off in the Chuck
Machine the snapping groove and then cut it off.
The shaft has a key way full length. What I need to know is can I run this with my steady rest having ng that key way?
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2024 at 5:47pm
i would take a key 2 inches long and set in the way where the steady rest will ride.. Hold it on with a hose clamp, then grind it down smooth with the shaft.. You dont want any lip that can be caught... I dont thing .020 inch step will hurt you, but i would not try a 1/4 inch deep keyway... better safe than sorry.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2024 at 5:50pm
I have also made a SLEEVE to slide over the shaft and epoxy it into place where the steady rest can ride on the SLEEVE.. can be brass or steel... When your done, use a cutoff wheel to split the sleeve where the key way is, then spread and it will pop off.

You might even be able to drive a little wood dowel into the key way to SNUG the sleeve , and not need the epoxy.... Not a lot of LOAD on the sleeve from the steady rest jaws.... little oil goes a long way.

Edited by steve(ill) - 01 Feb 2024 at 5:52pm
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2024 at 5:50pm
Clamp a snug shaft collar to the shaft for the steady rest to bear against, or use a centering square to find center the shaft, and using a center drill, bore a tapered pilot for your tailstock to bear against. I have done it without any special attention but using little pressure on the steady rest feet bearing upon the shaft. A snap ring groove doesn't need to be absolutely precise but it is preferred.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2024 at 6:08pm
I like the idea of a sleeve and the ground down key way.
I have bearings that go on that shaft but I bet they’re bigger than my steady rest will go to?
Codger the shaft is hollow 1/4” wall chrome Molly . It’s longer than the bed so I can’t use the tail stock.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2024 at 6:39pm

Well,, I believe I like the idea of the sleeve like Steve suggests to make sure the steady rest has a no obstruction spot to run into,,,,something that long can become a dangerous wayward missle,,,if it hangs for an instant,,,??Wink
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2024 at 7:02pm
Easy enough to machine you a collar to slip fit over the shaft bored to 1.255 internally and turned externally to dimension your steady can bear against. A recessed set screw to lightly bite into the shaft keyway to keep everything rigid will easily clean up with a file after completion.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 6:22am
outside the box thinking here....
slide a bearing whose ID is 1.25' onto the shaft,use electrical tape either side to hold in place,put steady rest around the OD of the bearing ??
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 6:49am

Years ago, the youngest son of the Refinery Mgr and crew were replacing the mechanical seal on a 150 HP vertical transfer pump out in the field. The shaft on these electric motors could be removed vertically and had been raised about 10" for clearance to replace the mechanical seal. The motor was still bolted to the pump body. After replacing the mechanical seal,,the crew chief bumped the starter to verify seal set and disaster struck!! The 2" motor shaft instantly came to speed at 3600 and centrifugal motion bent that 2"  shaft OVER and hit the worker in back of head!!
 In the following OSHA investigation, the instructor took a office type electric eraser, pulled the eraser out halfway and "bumped" the switch and showed everybody how that fatality happened in a blink of an eye.
 Be very careful with this type of possibllity!!!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 11:25am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

outside the box thinking here....
slide a bearing whose ID is 1.25' onto the shaft,use electrical tape either side to hold in place,put steady rest around the OD of the bearing ??

My thoughts as well.
Right now my wife has a broken leg so I was cool and cleaner and never got a chance to see if the steady rest will go that big?
I’ll try tonight or in the morning.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 11:29am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Years ago, the youngest son of the Refinery Mgr and crew were replacing the mechanical seal on a 150 HP vertical transfer pump out in the field. The shaft on these electric motors could be removed vertically and had been raised about 10" for clearance to replace the mechanical seal. The motor was still bolted to the pump body. After replacing the mechanical seal,,the crew chief bumped the starter to verify seal set and disaster struck!! The 2" motor shaft instantly came to speed at 3600 and centrifugal motion bent that 2"  shaft OVER and hit the worker in back of head!!
 In the following OSHA investigation, the instructor took a office type electric eraser, pulled the eraser out halfway and "bumped" the switch and showed everybody how that fatality happened in a blink of an eye.
 Be very careful with this type of possibllity!!!

I’m taking note.
I’ll be running the lathe on the slowest speed and use a parting tool to cut the snap ring groove. I’ll use the same tool to cut the shaft off but I’ll not cut all the way through. I’ll finish the cut with a hack saw and dress the end with a file.
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 6:37pm
How long is the shaft to be machined with snap ring groove? Will it fit between centers of lathe? I don't understand the problem I guess. If you can chuck it up, put a center in the end to be machined. HTH Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 7:44pm
he has a 4 ft shaft and a 3 ft lathe............ thats why the steady rest.. Wink
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 8:18pm
Sounds like make that sleeve. Doesn't have to be pretty.
It is 3 feet from the groove, a little wobble, it's just a snap ring.
Remove tailstock. Chuck end with snap ring.
Add steady rest. Make the groove.
Cut off tool to partly cut through, finish with hacksaw.

I used to have a large lathe with big 3" hole through head stock.
How delux. Now I have a little 10" lathe, much more limited.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 10:10pm

i hate parting,,,,i hate parting,,,,i double dog hate parting,,,,DID i SAY i hate PARTING,,,?????  LOL
 i KEEP THE PARTING TOOL IN A ,RAZER SHARP SHAPE,,,,USE CUTTING FLUID,,,go slow CUT EVEN SLOWER,,,,, aND MOST TIMES WIND UP USING A HACK SAW or my 4 1/2:" grinder, TO FINISH THE CUT,  i fRIGGIN hate PARTING,,,,!!!!!!Wink

Edited by desertjoe - 02 Feb 2024 at 10:11pm
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 11:27pm
Put your cut off tool on center.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2024 at 8:00pm
Got it done.
Turns out there was a space in the middle with no key way.
I set the steady rest there.
Cut the groove and cut it most of the way with a parting tool. Finished the cut with a hack saw. I then clamped in on the mill and tried the cut on the mill.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2024 at 8:32pm

Well,,now ole Buddy,,,you must know they invented the parting tool to use instead of them dang hacksaws,,,,,,,Did I say I HATE PARTING TOOLS,,I DO,,,,I DO,,,,!!WinkLOL
 I'm glad you got er done tho,,,,ClapClap

Edited by desertjoe - 10 Feb 2024 at 8:33pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2024 at 6:27am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Well,,now ole Buddy,,,you must know they invented the parting tool to use instead of them dang hacksaws,,,,,,,Did I say I HATE PARTING TOOLS,,I DO,,,,I DO,,,,!!WinkLOL
 I'm glad you got er done tho,,,,ClapClap

If I didn’t have 3’ of shaft hanging out there I would have parted all the way through but you see my ole buddy DJ got me nervous.
I must have gotten a good grind on that parting tool cause it was cutting smooth and quick.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2024 at 10:32pm
There's three things that make the parting tool a challenge of geometry:

First is the cutting area and depth.  A normal lathe cut skims off a very small area... but the parting tool takes an order-of-magnitude GREATER in the cut width... and significantly more depth.  The tool's height reinforces against that cut load, but still, it's alot of pressure.

Second is reach.  The tool needs to stick out long enough to reach halfway into the part, so it's hanging out there unsupported.

Third is speed... in order to cut, the SURFACE speed needs to be properly set for a cut to work... but on a facing or parting cut, we start at the outer radius, and as we work inward, the DIAMETER of the cut surface gets smaller, so it's Surface Feet Per Minute falls off rapidly.  Those of us with variable speed just twist the knob a bit... but those with mechanical spindle speed settings, it doesn't work out that way.

Finally, kerf clearance.  The parting tool cuts through, and even the best geometry still leaves very little room for interference between the tool and stray spoils.  Easy to jam that tool, shatter it, and send pieces flying at your eyes...

The alternative to a parting tool, is the Milwaukee Porta-Band, mounted into a toolpost...  or a slitting tool on the toolpost grinder (with a significant decrease in feed ratio, of course).  Using the slitting saw, spinning slow, against the chucked workpiece, again when slitting slow, will always yield a good square end.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic