This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lopped off part of my finger

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 7:19pm
I know that hurts. I'll be praying for you Pat. We'll make light of it when it heals. Merry Christmas to ya , hope you can make the best of the rest of your trip.
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
Sponsored Links

Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 8:14pm
Thanks for all the well wishes guys. Humbling to say the least. Pain is minimal. Doc says absolutely no pressure on that hand until he sees me Thursday afternoon. Phone is ringing off the hook for service calls,but I have a good excuse to refuse.

Sister , Brother in law and my right hand got the basketball Backboard and hoop assembled today for my niece Sharon. She feels worse than anyone about it.

Edited by Pat the Plumber CIL - 24 Dec 2018 at 8:20pm
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 8:24pm
 Worked 36 years in maintance and still got all my fingers.Think nail have been mashed off most of fingers.Scares all over hands from cuts and burns.I am thankful.PS  I only need one finger to type.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 8:47pm
Well buddy,,,,,,,ast me next year at Hutch to show you MY stupidity.
I feel for ya and thank God that it WASN'T your right hand.  If you wanna know,,,,,,try wiping yer butt with your left hand! (after it heals).  You never felt so helpless....
Your niece will always remember that every time she sees that basketball setup.
You can live with it, but she'll be scarred for life now.
God bless you and for giving you time off for His day tomorrow!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 10:30pm
wow....sorry to hear of your accident! glad it wasn't worse, now yer gonna hafta watch yer typing, thank goodnees for spell check? lol I wonder where the rest of that finger is? it should be nuff to puts ina jar! just sit back and enjoy everyone catering to you...you deserve it! oh...and it'll be one less fingernail to clean or chew!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2018 at 10:36pm
Dale the cute little nurses in the OR offered to bag what was left. I told them to toss it.   They claimed some people wanted to keep the amputated part. I guess you could have it freeze dried and preserved but what's the point. When its gone it's gone. I already have something to remind me for the rest of my life.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 1:35am
Pat I won't touch that.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 2:27am
 Hey Pat,,,gosh,,,I feel for Ya!! Dang,,,I bet that hurt,,,it hurtin me just to think on it,,,,but like ole Shameless is sayin,,,One less fingernail to clean,,UMmmm,,,,CHIT,,that didn't sound right, did it,,???  LOLLOL Hopin you gets some rest and R'in till you get abck to regular workin,,,,,Clap
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 8:17am
Being in the plumbing profession, I don't think that Pat chews his fingernails anyway. Darrel
Pete from IL View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete from IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 10:48am
Sorry to hear about that , Pat.  Ouch!  Hope it heals quickly.  Pete
bikley View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 3:52pm
Pat hope it heals quick been there done that
Will we call you short pointer or what
Just kidding hope you get better soon
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 4:28pm
At least your finger is still longer than your,,,,,,,,,a,,,ummm,,,,,,,best you ask Joe....

Did they let you watch when they fixed it?  They wouldn't  let me watch.
"Allis-Express"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 5:44pm
Surgeon wouldn't let me me look. He says you tough guys always want to look and then you throw up all over me.

Dan Hauter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Hauter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 7:33pm
Sorry about your accident and partial loss of your finger!!!  Ouch!!!  Hurts just to think about it.  Hope you heal up quick.  Dan.
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 10:55pm
Pat sorry about your accident and don't let it drive you crazy. I know I have been there although I didn't cut it off. But your mind will not let you forget about it and you will feel bad for it happening for a while but after it heals up the mental part won't be so bad. Just don't beat yourself up over it because it's done and there is no bringing it back.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2018 at 11:41pm
now you can't dig into yer nose as far, may hafta resort to the "farmer blow"!
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 8:26am
Sorry to hear about this Pat.  Hope you're healed up soon.

Dad lost half of his middle finger to a cornpicker when he was just out of high school.  You'll overcome this too.

Good luck.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 9:04am
Originally posted by Brian F(IL) Brian F(IL) wrote:

Sorry to hear about this Pat.  Hope you're healed up soon.

Dad lost half of his middle finger to a cornpicker when he was just out of high school.  You'll overcome this too.

Good luck.
I wonder if any farm implement matches the record for digits, limbs, and lives claimed as the corn picker, per capita of using them???  Most are operator carelessness of course.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 10:34am
Back home the Ford corn picker was noted for getting the most arms. I knew 2 one armed farmers as a result.
Maximum use of available resources!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 10:36am
Around here, I know 2 farmers missing arms up to their elbow, 2 other guys missing various fingers, and one guy killed.  Carhartt coats are pretty strong.  It seems when the rollers grab the frayed sleeves, it can suck you all the way into your waist and stall the tractor.
Tim NH View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim NH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 6:49pm
Pat I felt bad to hear you got yourself.I hope your finger is healing up fast.  Tim
1950 WD 1959 D14 1955 WD45 1976 7000 B 207
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 3:43pm
Pat I lost part of my index finger on my right hand in 1976, just be careful when you are outside in the winter you can freeze that finger easy if you don't watch it. I used to have a finger cover made out of some long john material that had tie stings on it that tied around my wrist to hold it when I took my gloves off and that helped to keep it warm.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 4:29am
Tom, when I'm outside and it's cold, my finger gives me fits!!  It's the first thing to get cold and when it does that, it HURTS!!  When it hurts, I know it's time to go indoors and turn the lukewarm water on it.  You gotta live with just one stupid mistake that took less than a second to happen.
And the WORST thing,,,,,,,,,,,,,we never learn...
"Allis-Express"
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 5:42am
I lost 1/2 inch off one of my fingers. Doc did same thing .

and yes ,it gets cold quick.

One thing  was when they pulled them stiches out the end of my finger. Nurse told me there was only one other place that you could have stiches in the end of it that it would hurt more when taking them out .

Edited by Fred in Pa - 29 Dec 2018 at 5:44am
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 11:09am
And how would she know?   Oh that's right the things this day and age.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 12:56pm
Well, I didn't cut no ends of fingers off, but did slice the index finger of left hand open  almost to the cuticle. That healed up nicely...Just no feeling in center of the finger where it healed back together. And slit the side of the right hand ring finger to the bone at an angle.. in rusty old tin where we were unloading grain into an elevator... went in the house and opened it up under cold water, let it bleed for a few minutes and then taped it shut and went back to hauling grain and that finger I don't notice either. ... but some 30 years ago, I was trying to teach a calf to drink milk from a bucket and the little sucker's teeth were sharp and sliced a finger... and got infected back to the first joint. It got hot and red and swelled up... so I finally stuck it in hot water to where I could just barely stand it and then turned the hot tap on a little more, it finally subsided, but it is the first finger to get cold now too... and fast. Have to watch out for it some and guess which glove finger I wear out first...  the finger that gets cold first. --i-, yup, that one. 
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 1:01pm
Fred does your finger have a finger nail? Doctor told me he got all the roots bur I ended up with a about 1/4" round nail that's a pain in the butt
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 2:52pm
Dad has 9 and a half fingers, but it hasn't affected his pool shooting. Best of luck. Sorry for the loss.
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 3:39pm
I lost part of my little finger in an elevator accident in 1963. I haven't missed it. Hope you have the same experience. Went all thru life, school, military and 3 different businesses without any problems.
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 8:46am
Many Moons ago I made a stupid careless mistake by getting in to big a hurry. As a result My Tablesaw bit off the three middle fingers on my right hand past the first joint.
    I was at home and alone. It hurt pretty bad but not much blood. I grabbed my right hand with my left and got to the Kitchen Sink and the cold water running over it helped with the hurt.  I knew I needed to look and see just how bad it was. Just wasn't brave enough yet.
     When I finally peaked I got light headed  and hit the deck.  Next thing I remember was #3 Son coming in from School trying to wake me up.  We both knew a trip to a ER was next.  Kilgore was best because he just came from there.
     With Oil Field Injuries common there is a Trauma Surgeon on duty 24-7. After a exam He said he needed to do some Post Trauma Amputation to clean things up a bit and have skin left to close the wounds. I was awake during this and could hear pieces of bone being dropped in a stainless bowl.
      I sure miss them but life goes on.  My trade was Painting and Paperhanging. When I was medically released to return to work the contractor I worked for for 20 years said he had nothing a one handed painter and paperhanger could do.
    I went in business for myself Making 4 times the money by the hour doing the same work I did for the other guy and actually for many of his now former clients.
    I loved the shooting sport.  With no first joint on my trigger finger accurate pistol shooting is near impossible.
    When they were little my grandkids always liked playing with Grandpas Three Smiley faces. I do have 3 odd scars looking at the ends without finger prints. All different
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic