This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Classifieds
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for extra Gleaner corn reel fingers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for extra Gleaner corn reel fingers
    Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 3:52pm
I am going to put an AC/Gleaner corn reel back into service this fall.  Wouldn't hurt to add a few more "fingers" to it.  Will go see my machine shop and have a few built if necessary but if anybody has a parts reel laying around give me a shout.  PM is good.
Sponsored Links

Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 8:27pm
AC/Gleaner corn reel? You mean a corn reel for downed corn?

Edited by Lonn - 07 Sep 2020 at 8:28pm
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
pdh View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 8:49pm
Yes I mean a corn reel for downed corn - and this particular reel was actually manufactured by (or for?) AC/Gleaner - probably vintage 1970s or 1980s.  It has been adapted over the years to be driven by a hydraulic orbit motor.  Center axis is a round pipe - fingers or "spiders" or whatever you want to call them are welded to larger pipe collars which then affix to the center pipe with a couple of set screws.
orangereborn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangereborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 9:01pm
I have been watching several of them on "auction time" and "big iron"...What make are you working with....Or is it actually a AC/Gleaner?  They all look "kinda" the same but I doubt that.  I have a Kelderman. Been fortunate enough not to have had to use it..Does yours have a saddle on the feeder house for a 4x4 tool bar that extends to support the lift arms? Dale 
pdh View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 9:11pm
This one was sold to me as having been manufactured by/for AC Gleaner and carries what appears to be an AC part number - part number was on the inside of the frames that are now mounted to the outside frames of my Hugger.  Those two exterior frames carry the reel - the "axle" of the reel is a pipe -  2 or 3 inch or so - and the spiders/fingers are then on collars with an I.D. 1/2" larger than the O.D. of the pipe.  Most of the other ones I see (including Kelderman) have a square tube for the axle of the reel.  I can have them duplicated - just thought somebody might have a parts unit out there someplace.

Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 6:21am
I didn't know they made them that long ago. That's why I questioned what you were really after.

Edited by Lonn - 08 Sep 2020 at 6:21am
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 6:37am
We had one on the F3,4 row 30" black head. Yes it was made and sold by Gleaner/AC. When we upgraded to the L3 6 row 30" black head the brackets and drives bolted right on, we just lenghtened the main shaft and made 4 more fingers. The arms and uprights are on our corn all the time and if we have some down corn, we can put the reel on pretty quick. I could post a pick or 2 if anyone would like.
 But shelling down corn is not fun, at all. I feel for you guys up there
Leon B MO
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
pdh View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 7:03am
Thanks, Leon.  At least my guess is it is designed for 2 fingers per row, right?
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 7:37am
Yes we have two per row. Ours have a set screw or bolt so that they can be adjusted left right or rotation so that all the fingers are staggered around the reel. I took a couple of pictures this morning of the corn head, I'll try to remember to post them tonight.
Leon B Mo
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 6:50pm
Here ya go. It's driven off the main shaft, chain to belt to reel. The reel is stored on the wall of the shed, hopefully not to be used. I used 2 years ago on 10 acres that we left because we had no storage. Mistake. If you can shell in the direction the stalkes are pointed at you, it does O K. Weeds or vines and it wraps horribly.
Leon B Mo

Edited by Leon B MO - 08 Sep 2020 at 6:52pm
pdh View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 9:24pm
Thanks, Leon - and yes, that matches mine - except that mine has been converted to hydraulic drive. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic