This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for a tractor to restore.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olsem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for a tractor to restore.
    Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 3:39pm

I've been looking at picking up a tractor to restore/fix up. Being a younger guy, I've always kinda like the high horsepower tractors from the 60s and 70s. My dad had a 190 XT when he started farming, my grandfather still has a 4020 (and a gasser D17 and D14), and my my mom's dad had a fleet of Farmall Ms and a 706. I've been looking at getting a Farmall 1206, John Deere 4020, or a Allis Chalmers 190 XT. So far I've been looking at Tractorhouse.com and my local Craigslist.com. I've learned a few things....

-1206s are hard to come by.
-Diesel 4020s are EXPENSIVE.
-190 XT seems like a good option.

Any other places I should be looking? I don't care if the tractor has issues...but I would like it to be mostly complete. I learned from restoring my dad's 1971 Buick GS that finding (and paying for) small parts can kill you.

Where is a good place for restoration information?
Sponsored Links

Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 6:16pm
I have a 4020 LPG I got in a weak moment. I'll like to sale, I have had it sitting here for two years and have not used it much she needs to go. It has a new seat, two new rear 18-4x34" Firestone tires for it, I think all the parts to get her back up in good shape. 
It's East of KC MO. about 25 miles. 816-697-1995
Don
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Olsem View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olsem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 6:48pm

While LPs are cool....I think I'd rather have a diesel.

OrangePowerGA View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OrangePowerGA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 7:07pm
D-19 or a 190 would be nice.
powertech84 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powertech84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 7:32pm

Did you check the classifieds/photo classifieds at ytmag.com?

cwhit View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwhit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 7:44pm
 Olsem, you'll find everything you need right HERE.. First , tell us where you're from..
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 7:55pm
Just north of Des Moines,Iowa
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 7:59pm
I have a very straight D19D that I would sell for 4800.00 firm.
Don't have to sell it, but freight to get it down here to Fort Worth from Central New York makes buying something in my area more cost effective. I purchased the tractor from the original owner, a neighboring dairy that purchased our dairy in 1980.
Sheet metal is 10 on a 10 scale as it was always stored inside, Snap Coupler unit with 16.9-34 rears; S/N 2460, which should make it a 1962 model. It did have the head upgrade and was purchased from Urgo's Farm Equipment in Frankfort, NY. I picked it up five years ago and only did so as the history was well documented. Unit has been stored inside at my Dad's place and mows 10 acres twice a year with a New Idea sickle mower, just to keep it lubed and charged up.
New batteries two years ago and tractor runs strong; nothing else sounds like the whistle of that turbo, when that old Buda six spools up.
Figured I would put her in the line-up with my other D Series down here some day and for the time being she keeps my dad with a smile on his face as she is still quite the novelty, being the first mass produced ag tractor equipped with a turbo.
Olsem View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olsem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 8:24pm
I see I have a stalker! I do live just north of Des Moines.
I will check out ytmag.com, thank you.

As far as that D19 diesel goes, I'll think about it.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 9:13pm
I have a 190XT series II that needs engine work. I bought it with intentions of fixing it up to sell, but would sell it as is. Engine locked up when previous owner didn't put enough oil in after an oil change. He was driving it around the yard, not working it or running it wide open. I also have a rebuildable 180 diesel engine I could make one out of the two. I am in north central IL, 4 hrs east of DesMoines. 10 miles north of I80. I will consider reasonable offers. I also have a 210 project tractor that will be for sale soon, but that is alot more money, and sheet metal is not as good as 190XT. pm me if interested. Ed.
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
bigfish_Oh View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigfish_Oh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 9:15pm
-1206s are hard to come by. but ... may be worth it and appreciate the best ?(I know of 5 nearby me)

-Diesel 4020s are EXPENSIVE. ... worse yet , they are like @&&holes, everyone has one
-190 XT seems like a good option.... we are all biased here!!!.   some still affordable, but  have their unique traits/problems
1941 WC sat for 29 years,started & dynoed 27 h.p.
1957 WD45 Grandpa bought new,factory p.s.,added wfe
1951 WD, factory p.s.
1960 D14 HnMk IV BkHoe 4 sale
2014 HD Tri Glide
2009 GMC CC SLT Dually
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 9:36pm
"I see I have a stalker! I do live just north of Des Moines."

In your dreams Chris.LOL  I just googled your name and could have put your hometown, phone number and address, plus some pictures of you and your family.  Charlie

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 11 Jul 2010 at 9:36pm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Olsem View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olsem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 10:12pm
I might be interested in that 190XT...whats something like that worth?
Good View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Good Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 8:53am
I have one and a half D19's for sale they are all torn apart has a gas engine locked up I don't have time to put it together.there is no back rims but dishes are there.$750 and I can load it for you.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 8:33pm
how is your search going? still want an XT?
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
N6PETE View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N6PETE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 10:24pm
I have just what you want. 1971 190XT series III diesel. No cab, approx. 1200 hours on major OH. New turbo, water pump and clutch at that time. Rear tires 85%. Rebuilt injection pump last fall (110hp). New seals in Hyd pump this summer. Good trans, stays in third gear. Good runner. I used it to pull a six row planter, mow water ways, pull 225 bu wagons up to bin and run 10" auger. Has 18.4/34 DMI duals that go with tractor.

The tach was broke when I bought the tractor  & I put a alternator & cable in to get the tach to work.

It has a few hyd leaks & prob needs a new VC gasket. I bought a low hour 7060 and don't used this tractor much any more.

Paint is not bad but I started to paint a few things & found it was gonna take more time that I had to do the job right.

The tractor is located in east central Ia. (Dewitt, Iowa) close to the Mississippi river.

$5500 firm if you are interested 563*357*7992
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic