This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

looking for a metal lathe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy(Mo) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: looking for a metal lathe
    Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 12:37pm
I have a person looking for a 12 or 14 inch metal lathe, left and right hand turn, no 3 phase. In Mo if possible or as close to Mo as possible. Email me if you or you know of one for sale. Thanks to all   randyandcamille@yahoo.com
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 1:39pm
You will find it hard to get a lathe of that size without 3ph power.
I have a Nichomore 14" gap bed , 6 ft ways , that I bought with 5 HP 3ph and just made a phase converter from 3 HP 3ph motor that works fine for running it. 220 /30 A input.
 All my shop equipment is running on phase converters now using 15 HP 3ph motor and running several pieces. Havea small solid state converter I run one vertical mill with as it is in another part of shop.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Dave A View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 4:22pm
this CNC machine might be of some interest
Play the game for more than you can afford to lose... only then will you learn the game.
Winston Churchill
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 5:19pm
I gave up on finding a decent old lathe after some two years of digging, looking and getting less than impressed with the worn out units needing beds ground or trued and 3ph converters that robbed turning power at high electrical use. I finally went to Grizzley  out of Springfield Missouri and bought a new one.  Yes, it is a Chinese or Taiwan or someone foreign manufacture but for the price, being true, having interchangeable components I could work with and buy repair materials for was worth it.

Mine is a 12x36, gear drive, reversible, single phase 220.  They are the same lathe sold by names: Grizzley, Enco, Rong Fu, Birmingham and others.  I was happy enough with the machine and the price I then bought a 9x39 end mill from them as well.  both take current manufacture common bits, will use most anyone elses heads or collets and have good quality; not tool room or production shop grade but to specs I can meet as well use.

www.Grizzley.com
Bill (E.C.MO) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill (E.C.MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 6:51pm
Ditto re: Grizzly.  The nice thing about Grizzly compared to Enco and other imported lathes, mills, etc., especially for hobbyist-level folks, are understandable manuals written in plain english, parts availability, etc.  Not having the time or expertise to restore older, worn machinery I've been well satisfied with Grizzly's equipment.
A-C's currently on the farm: B, CA, 2 D-17 D's, One Eighty, ass't implements.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 9:35am
As the others stated you are severely limiting your search with the 1 phase deal. Most of the time you will pay through the nose for a single phase machine, a similar 3 phase machine and converter will be much cheaper. A few years ago a person was a well to buy new as used because of high demand pressure on price but that is no longer the case. Check Craigs List and Ebay often as lots of people have hi buck toys like lathes for sale for cheap. You are good with your swing requirements makes sure you dont short yourself on bed either. Far too many people that buy hobby lathes buy too small and too short and find that all too often they have to farm out work they thought they could do in the garage.
acisbest View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acisbest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 11:12am
I'm running an old 11-inch harrison lathe with a copy unit and Oil Coolant. Rarely use the copy attachment... Yes, it is worn. I have to tighten down the carraige as it gets close to the chuck. 440 volt 3hp 3ph. Made a 3ph converter out of 5hp 3ph 220 motor. Thankfully large transformer came with the lathe.

Getting the lathe was easy, in PA there is an auction in Paradise, PA about once a month. The larger lathes go for less then the smaller lathes, and its usually the scrap dealer that gets the larger lathes... Its the tooling that costs you. Chucks, Collets, boring bars, Aloris tool changer, tapered drills, etc.. all add up. I have never seen a complete lathe with tooling come through the auction.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 3:50pm
I went to a lot of sales, tooling never came with the lathe unless it too was worn out.  The 3ph units lose quite a bit of power as well use a heck of a lot more electricity than the single phase I currently have.  I have seen many lathes and mills come to market since things got tough but the pricing is still high and the machines worn thin.

I gave up fighting with an old LeBlond lathe that I could no longer buy head components for, it had a 480/240 3ph converter and a 16" swing with a 42" track.  This was a great unit for gun work I used to do but I was also having trouble maintaining tolerances so it went to junk.  That is when I bought the Grizzley 12x36, not been dissatisfied.  Single phase 240, reversible, geared head instead of belt and very decent basic attachments included as was the support stand.  It beat the LeBlond tolerances by a full .001 in every operation.  Price was very close to buying a used unit so I went with new.
Ted in NE-OH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted in NE-OH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2010 at 3:45pm
I have two lathes for sale in NE  Ohio one is 12 in and one is 13 in. $1400 and $1000

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic