This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking at different riding mowers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking at different riding mowers
    Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 9:58pm
? On them. Do the mowers with the front deck create or cover the operator with more dust than a regular tractor type rider? I do have an opportunity to buy a Deere front deck mower. I would keep my current mower to mow the lots/ditch banks. Again Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links

allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 10:28pm
Tom, it will if the deflector is removed. I got a grasshopper front deck and a mid mount scag and will buy another grasshopper front deck next time I need one. I suppose the green one is ok just not for me. The front deck mowers do ride better. Good luck
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 10:30pm
Simplicity Cobalt 60" deck zero turn with springs on four corners and you will not need nor want another mower. It will float you across your lawn or back lot. I use mine to mow road ditches for a 1/2 mile. I used to run the D15 and 6' Woods in the ditch. Not any more.  
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 10:34pm
If the wind blows and the grass is dry they all blow crap in your face.  I recently went to a rear discharge grasshopper for that reason.  If the grass is green there's basically nothing but if it's brown and dry still crap everywhere.  If it's what you want go for it in my opinion.  I'm curious why you don't want to mow ditches with it?  Zero turns will mow ditches just takes a little more getting used too.
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
dawntreader74 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dawntreader74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2020 at 11:15pm
the grasshopper 721D. would be the way to go' rides good'got good power an your not working on it like the green one 
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 6:53am
Tom, might want to clarify a little better what you mean by front deck. Are you talking a zero turn with the drive wheels on the back and caster wheels on the front? Or are you talking about one with drive wheels to the front and steerable or caster wheels at the back, like a combine?
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 7:33am
OK, I'm cornfused...easier as I age....
WHY would you want to buy a Deere( or any mower really)  that will NOT do the job your current mower does ?
I understand having a 'backup' mower as that's what I have.... but if the Deere won't do ditches..what good is it ??

BTW be SURE the deflector IS always ON !!  Otherwise you might be sadly($$$$) impressed with how well it'll fling a rock at a car. DADT !!
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 1:11pm
I do mow the ditches with my LT 190 Deere. It has a 48" deck. It is the widest I can use to mow the road ditch in front of my yard. The zero turn has a wider deck and would not work in the ditch in front of my yard. I am interested in Deere because there is a dealer in town. To buy any other brand that I am familiar with would mean a 50-60 mile or more round trip for parts.   I am going to double or triple the size of property I mow. Wanting a wider deck for that reason. Thanks guys.

Edited by HD6GTOM - 08 Feb 2020 at 1:15pm
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 3:53pm
I have had a Toro "home owner" zero turn for a number of years and have only had to replace the blades, replace the rear tires (china crap) and change the oil and filters but it only has a 42 inch cut. If I buy another one it will definitely be larger, mainly to get the larger wheels in the rear but this one has done a great job. Since the good dealer I bought it from has sold out to a larger dealership that has zero customer service I won't be buying a Toro even though it is a good mower.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 5:51pm
My dad ran JD front mount commercial mowers with Kawasaki enginesduring the 80's and 90's with his business in FL, never did tear em' up and they have very high hours on the meters. He passed late last year and my brother just took both of them for use as "beaters" in his lawn care business in NY as his 5' and 6' diesel Kubotas cannot get into tight spots on cemetery jobs.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by Unit3 Unit3 wrote:

Simplicity Cobalt 60" deck zero turn with springs on four corners and you will not need nor want another mower. It will float you across your lawn or back lot. I use mine to mow road ditches for a 1/2 mile. I used to run the D15 and 6' Woods in the ditch. Not any more.  

Apparently your "road ditches" are less than 5 inches deep?? Dad should stick with his 180 with the 5 foot bush hog, would require much less truck/tractor towing "out" of the ditch with his Simplicity 60' zero turn.
trace View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 6:35pm
just got a new 42" toro time cutter last fall with toro 2 cylinder engine. replaced 2009 toro with crappy kohler engine. twice the mower and sounds like a car engine. got the mulch kit as no sense to bag or otherwise. love it. 2 acres in 45 minutes.
1955 WD-45 WIDE FRONT W/ TRIP
LOADER
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 7:24pm
Lawn place that mows the airbase uses jd1445s 60" deck and 48" snowblower in winter. They leave the chute on and you won't get any more dirt than any other mower. It'll windrow real thick grass if you bungee the deflector up its spreads it out . I've used one at the church it's nice the deck goes under the bushes very nice. The 4wd makes steep ditches easy to mow. The only thing bad about them is the price. With deck blower and cab they were around $27k each. At my house I us a CA with a L306 and a 49" eagle star for the ditches. If mowed with the neighbors Bad Boy Daddy Cat it's great unless you get it on a steep side hill. Your kinda busy keeping it from going down hill. I've been down and pulled him out of the cat tails a couple times.

Edited by Dakota Dave - 08 Feb 2020 at 7:32pm
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 7:42pm
A friend bought one of them front deck Deeres.  Had it about two years and the engine went out.  Repair place said the camshaft was bad.  He bought it at a big box store.  It's still sitting as far as I know!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 5:18am
JD front deck mowers carry a 4yr warrenty!   I buy one every 4 yrs, just for that reason. another thing i like is i never go 24hr on craigslist after advertising my used one before it's sold!    Now do i believe it's a great mower, naa, it's middle of the road but it has too many good things going to abandon something i've been doing for 13yrs.

AC from the start of my families farming career till the end!
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 7:29am
I agree with unit3 But my is a Simplicity citation with a 61" deck like he said it take some getting use to mow the ditches and some of my ditches are 6ft deep. JMO
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 8:30am
Dad has a "knack" for getting hung-up on the crests of ditch banks and a worse time along field edges :-( His is a Simlpicity "stallion/mustang" something like that as I recall.His biggest gripe is the carb-always needs attention.He went with a dealer when he bought it, not a box store. The only front mounted decks I've seen in this area are the golf course commercial units. Seems like once dad got the hang of the zero turn,he can get ALOT done in a hurry :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic