This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

longest train I ever seen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: longest train I ever seen
    Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 11:02pm
I don't know if BNSF railroad was just running an experimental train, or if this is going to be the new normal. But when me and the son were going to the hay field tonight, we seen a BNSF train, that was without exaggerating, at least two miles long. It had two locomotives on the front, two in the middle, and one bringing up the rear. No doubt the other trains have to side track for it, because they don't have a side track long enough for it. Darrel
Sponsored Links

JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 11:29pm
I saw something similar last week on the BNSF track past my farm.  This train was also a good two miles long with two power units in front and two in back and SIX, count um, six units in the middle.  It was all empty coal cars, I suspect they were just moving equipment around, they were heading north.  In the last two days I have had to wait for 3 long trains, either I'm just unlucky or they are moving more trains.

BTW, there have been some interesting trains go past my place over the years, several times there have been 737 fuselages, no wings or tail but the cockpit is on, some painted with the Southwest colors, probably heading from Kansas to Washington state.  If It had been this summer, I'd figure they were Max's and Southwest was hauling passengers!  LOL  Several times a year there will be an entire train with nothing but wind turbine blades heading south from the Vestas plant in Windser, CO to wind farms in Texas.  One train, a few years ago, looked like an entire Army construction battalion heading somewhere for training.  Occasionally I'll see a luxury private car attached to a freight, gotta cost a bunch of bucks to get a car pulled somewhere.    

Edited by JohnCO - 13 Jul 2019 at 11:44pm
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 11:39pm
Around me here in NE, the shag trains can get overly long.  reg trains seem like 110 cars is normal!

AC from the start of my families farming career till the end!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 5:31am
maybe the faster second train caught up to the slower first and got connected ? hehehe...
 they have loooong coal trains in BC to get CDN coal to China faster....
special unloading ...cars have rotatable couplers. each car gets turned upside down over a chute. really neat to see.. and fast.

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 7:17am
Rail road needs to cut cost.......... Keep looking into OPERATOR LESS Locomotives.... Possible that in a LONG train with 3 LOCOS in the middle, that only ONE Operator ?? .... Lot of equipment is going to Wireless Operation.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 8:18am
They need to put a limit on the length of the trains. 
Quite often they are so long they block several crossing.  5 or ten minutes, I can understand.  lt is not unusual to have the same train block the crossings for hours at a time.  Even had them block the crossings for two days.  That is total Bull squeeze.  
How is someone supposed to know when the train is going to keep the crossing closed?
Having to back up farm equipment and turn around is not a safe or easy event.  Driving and extra four or more miles to get around the damn train.  Having to get out on a couple of busy hiways sucks too.
In the old days, the railroad would break the train at the crossing.  
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 9:05am
2 Trains each 1.4+ miles long in BNSF yard in Sx City this morning. 2 engines on front 1 on rear. The south bound had A semi fuel tanker pulled alongside each engine. A box car hooked to engines both trains but all other cars are tankers, the kind they haul bio-fuels out of here with. 1 headed south and 1 headed north. Guessing south is the loaded tankers, north normally are the empty heading to NW IA. plants. They had 3 intersections blocked over 2 hours while fueling.
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 9:20am
Distributed Power is what they call the Radio Control units mid and end train now. Can get away with fewer lead engines with one or more center and another one or two at rear. Also discontinues use of EoT units(flashing red Lamp) that has to be added to the rear most car. Fuel conscious RRs are now watching how much is consumed and at what rates where engines are being spec'd differently for better economy. The belly tank of the Big GEs can hold as much as 5500 gal.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 10:01am
UP is also doing the same thing. one engineer told me the rear engine keeps everything taught and they have less slamming on the cars. the middle 1/2/3 usually help on long steep grades. sometimes we see 4-6 engines all by themselves go by, that is where they need more engines somewhere else. UP has extra engines all coupled together in the desert in AZ. can see a pic on you tube, something like 2-3 miles of just engines sitting. UP has the ability to run all their trains without anyone in the cabs, and they do so in Council Bluffs IA switching cars around. but the govt won't let them go across the country & some states without someone in the cab of the engines. most all the coal cars now are made of mostly aluminum making them lighter and they can return more cars in a single train.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 11:49am
Here in MI they can only block a crossing for 35 min. max.  All the freight trains and the tracks are owned by Canada, same as all the oil pipelines.  I haven't seen any long trains up here so it must be a prairie thing.  I enjoy watching trains, I would really like to see one of those long ones, as long as I ain't sitting at a crossing when I do!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 2:29pm
I have to wait for them fairly often at the double tracked crossing going into town.  Most trains around here are about 3 miles long with at least four engines;  two at the front, at least one in the middle and another at the tail end.  Fortunately they're usually travelling at about 50 to 60 MPH so the wait isn't all that long.
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 4:23pm
Jay there are also looong coal trains from the US coal mines that use the coal loading facilities to ship coal to China, as I understand it, there are no coal shipping facilities on the US west coast.
Jack of all trades, master of none
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 9:26pm
Here in WI., a stopped train cannot block a crossing longer than 10 mins.  Moving?  I don't know.  I would bet there is something on the books.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 10:30pm
I did forget to say...like Ted says, here they can only block any crossing for 10 mins. anything more and the engineer gets a ticket from local law enforcement. that does not sit well with the railroad, they do an investigation then. sometimes an engineer can lose his job depending on why they are stopped.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

I did forget to say...like Ted says, here they can only block any crossing for 10 mins. anything more and the engineer gets a ticket from local law enforcement. that does not sit well with the railroad, they do an investigation then. sometimes an engineer can lose his job depending on why they are stopped.

Do they drive down the tracks after them and pull them over!?!?LOL
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 12:53pm
Saw another long one yesterday, only had 4 power units in the middle, 2 each in front and back.   All empty coal cars.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 8:30am
I would think that there is a practical limit on how much pull a coupler will stand; or how much it takes to pull a train car apart. That may be another reason for the locomotive(s) in the middle.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 9:50am
could be going to 2 different destinations.... split the trains at stop #1......then carry on to final.
it'd also 1/2 the distance for the air to get to the tanks on each car, could leave the station faster...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 9:16pm
Tramway brings up a good point about coupler strength.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
cottngton View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cottngton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 1:42pm
Do you know how much it would cost a ticket on the longest train? I think it would be a cool experience. I have many more points on my wish list, but this covid pandemic has turned everything upside down. Anyways, before all this chaos, I managed to visit Germany. I booked one ticket for 44€ on dbauskunft.net and traveled one day through Germany. Those from Deutsche Bahn have some really good offers, and you can always track your train by using their app. I've never thought that you can have one-day unlimited rail travel along the Rhine for this money. Can't wait for my next trip to the baltic sea.

Edited by cottngton - 09 Jul 2021 at 3:50pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 3:05pm
Average coal train thru here on any given day is 150 cars, two engines or three up front, one rough center and at least one rear.  As to general freight have seen the similar sets on the N&S North of here on long freights with twins forward and a third at tail or the really heavy Stack Conex trains have two or three forward, one center and one or two rear.  Last long one of the N&S I saw pass thru New Florence MO was 124 cars and set up this style.  They are yard length and passing track length limited on the single line mains, UP is almost all Dual Trackage thru MO so they can run longer and not a issue.

Edited by DMiller - 05 Jul 2021 at 3:05pm
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 5:27pm
Almost every morning route 3 for Monsanto in Ill and - Sauge in St Louis is backed up by train traffic- as if the railroad is saying - deal with it

Edited by DougG - 05 Jul 2021 at 5:28pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 6:19pm
Four major lines with five major yards for industrial service from Pontoon Beach down to Cahokia
Trains are pulling thru or switching there most every day, not hard to be caught up in them
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2021 at 6:21pm
Well I'm glad you asked a VERY similar question as I did and you didn't get "FLAMED" for it WinkClapLOL !!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 7:49am
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

Well I'm glad you asked a VERY similar question as I did and you didn't get "FLAMED" for it WinkClapLOL !!
Spammer pulls up a post from 2 years ago, couple people chimed in.....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic