This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Locked up B

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MotorCityBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Locked up B
    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 7:53pm
I have a 1953 B that has been sitting for a few years. The plan was to restore it when I retire. I started it frequently but I think the gas went bad and it stopped running. The carb likely needs to be cleaned also.  When that happened I hand cranked it every month to turn the engine over. I turned it over freely in the last month or two.

So I finally retired last month. Woo-Hoo!!!

Now the engine won’t turn over when I use the hand crank. 

So I took out the spark plugs and put some ATF in the cylinders and took the starter off. Then I jacked up the back end, put the transmission in gear and turned the rear tires thinking it would free up the engine. 

The rear wheels spun freely but when I look in the hole where the starter goes the flywheel is not moving. 

Where do I begin? 
Rob
1953 AC B
Kubota L3901
Blairsville, GA
Sponsored Links

HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 7:59pm
sounds like you have a clutch problem or something broken in the tranny or rear end.

Edited by HD6GTOM - 21 Mar 2020 at 8:00pm
MotorCityBear View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MotorCityBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 7:59pm
I did put it in gear 
Rob
1953 AC B
Kubota L3901
Blairsville, GA
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 8:22pm
If both rear tires are off the ground, turning one tire will only turn the opposite tire the opposite way. Let it down and try to rock the entire tractor. If it turned freely a couple months ago, you have a good chance of freeing it up.

I made a fitting that threads into a spark plug hole and has an air fitting on it. I remove the valve cover and loosen the rocker arm shaft so all the valves are shut, then hook an air hose to  it, I set the regulator on the air hose to about 75 psi, and leave it for a day. It helps push the solution down the cylinders. I keep changing cylinders and trying it until it loosens.

Good luck !
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MotorCityBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 8:34pm
That makes sense, I will try that tomorrow. Hopefully it breaks free. 
Rob
1953 AC B
Kubota L3901
Blairsville, GA
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 9:50pm
Just Jack one wheel off the round.           MACK
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 10:26am
Ted in NE-OH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted in NE-OH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 10:29am
If you use the "rock the rear tire approach" put it into 3rd gear
CA, WD, C, 3 Bs, 2 Gs, WC, I-400, 914
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 11:57am
Hook a tractor or truck on each end and jerk it back and forth with tractor in 3'rd gear , or use skidloader if you have access to one. ---Cant be stuck too bad.
One guy swears that he made adapters to go in spark plug hole , found closest piston to the top, installed adapter and pumped it full of grease and got an engine loose that way,----NOT something I would do and not even sure it would work!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MotorCityBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 4:24pm
So I just left both wheels on the ground and did the rocking thing and it worked. Now it turns over easily with the hand crank. 

On to that dirty carb.....

Thanks for the help.

Gerald thanks for the link!!
Rob
1953 AC B
Kubota L3901
Blairsville, GA
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic