This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lionel train problem - may not be right forum

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandknob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lionel train problem - may not be right forum
    Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 8:50pm
I am not quite sure where to post this, but I know some of you have lionel trains.
I pulled out my uncles 2026 steam locomotive and my dads Burlington 2328 GP7 to see if they would run - (my father in law got a new lionel set so I could run them on his track).  We got the 2026 to run, but sometimes it will change directions on its own.  When it gets going good it will stay going the same direction.  What could be causing this?  On the 2328 GP7 it will light up and it sounds like the horn is buzzing, but the motor will not run or even buzz/hum.  The motor turns fine as do the wheels, but the train won't go.  Wires seem to be connected fine.  Any ideas? Also what forum should this be listed under?
Thanks
Adam

Edited by Sandknob - 02 Jan 2011 at 8:50pm
Sponsored Links

Sandknob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandknob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 9:10pm
Thanks AllisChalmers37
Adam
AllisChalmers37 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisChalmers37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 9:14pm
Sorry about that. The more I looked at my reply the more I thought it made me sound like an ass. I too am a hardcore train fan and when I post something that is off topic I just put a OT: in front of my title.
1937 WC, 1950 CA, 1959 D14, 1967 190XT, 2006 Ram 3500
beeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 9:15pm
On the 2026,  try cleaning the wheels and rollers that pickup power from the rails . The way the system works is when the  AC  power is  brought in from the center rail  and routed thru an E unit to the motor and returned thru the drive wheels.  By turning power on and off the E unit changes from forward to "neutral" to reverse to neutral and then forward again. Any  interruption either by the operator OR by loss of power due to dirty track or wheels/roller pickups will cause the changes . Sounds like the E unit in the GP7 may be stuck in "neutral " position. 
1949 B   3930 Ford- Have owned other Orange ,green,red,yellow,dark green tractors and equipment.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 9:45pm
Post a couple pics of those units
Sandknob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandknob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 9:47pm
Well here is a new question then.  The book on my father in laws train states it uses between 7-15 volts ac to run.  Can I use a 9 volt  (latern battery) -12 volt battery to test the motor on the 2328 GP7 or will the DC hurt it?  Also if so where do I hook the leads to?  There is a blue yellow and green wire hooked to the motor.  The blue and yellow go to the outside magnets of the motor and the green goes to the spinning magnet (armature?).
Thanks
Adam
beeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 10:18pm
Not sure about using  the battery. If you don't have access to clean track with AC  {3 rail}.We use a test set up at my train club that uses a small,old transformer and test leads for the center pickup + and ground through the chassis - . The  locomotive is laid  upside down and checked out .Most of the problems are dust/dirt ,corrosion and too much oil.
1949 B   3930 Ford- Have owned other Orange ,green,red,yellow,dark green tractors and equipment.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 10:29pm
If the E Unit is locked in position can it be run on DC, I believe some units could bypass the E Unit to put DC to the motor.
 kind of a question i have on the AF -S gauge units . I know AC made both AC and DC as separate engines but unsure of Lionel.  Now this is all befor Lionel bought AF out.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 10:44pm
Like JC said how about some pics of those trains.My older cousins would not let me anyware near their lionel train when I was little(for good reason).I loved watching(from a distance)all the accessories;coalcar loading and unloading,logcar,cattle car.They could operate all of it from controls my uncle had wired up.Would love to some day but time,space and money control all.Maybe in retirement.
Please post train pics.
I don't care which forum you post pics on,but Shop,garages,trucks,etc is probably best
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Sandknob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandknob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 10:53pm

the 2026 all cleaned up

The 243 engine - this one has a broken idler so I am on the search for parts to fix
My dads Burlington 2326
All the engines and my Amtrak baggage car and my uncles lighted caboose

Edited by Sandknob - 02 Jan 2011 at 10:56pm
AllisChalmers37 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisChalmers37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 11:17pm
I love the looks of the steam locomotives and it is nice to see some other locomotives and rolling stock from the Burlington Route rather than the Burlington Zephyr
1937 WC, 1950 CA, 1959 D14, 1967 190XT, 2006 Ram 3500
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic