This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LED Bulbs ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LED Bulbs ??
    Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 5:50pm
Is there such a thing as a "cold service" bulb ? Changed out an outdoor lightbulb last summer with a LED bulb with no issues until earlier this month when the temps dropped below 30*. The led will not light up but will give a dim glow even AFTER the switch is turned off Confused ? Are these bulbs similar to a cold-start ballast for a fluorescent bulb in a cold shop? Thanks
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 6:06pm
Some are Yes.  LED uses a 5-8vDC(Polarity required) reference voltage not 120vAC, so to get them to function on AC the system has to be Rectified to 5-8vDC to make them work, it is also why SOME LEDs will not work on dimmers some will as that rectifier is also resistance applied.

Edited by DMiller - 27 Dec 2021 at 6:07pm
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 7:29pm
Most LEDs LIKE the cold... the colder the better............ change you bulb.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 8:23pm
Are you positive its LED ? I went from CFL's { compact Flourescent light} to LED's to get away from the dim flickering at startup in cold weather. My storage bldg now has 6 LED's all instant bright, also my garage to house backdoor has motion sensor it's instant on and bright w LEDs. 
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 10:45pm
my outside yard pole light has a 5W LED bulb in it, it goes 24/7 as the switch on the pole quit working,(another thing i haven't gots done) anyways, we took the glass cover off one day to clean the glass and neither one of us could hold onto the bulb base as it was so hot. the bulb itself wasn't hot (just a little warm to the touch), so i wondered about our other LED bulbs we leave lit 24/7 in other areas, i checked and it's the same thing...can't begin to hold onto the base because it's so hot, we don't leave them on all the time anymore, cept the one in the yard. the 5W bulb lights up the front yard and walkway nicely. that light has gone thru lots of below zero temps thru the years.   
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2021 at 5:04am
That is the transformer and electronics to make them work heating up

Are a few new lines as GE has out look exactly as the old glass bulbs, those do not heat as severely yet also do not dim by control switches.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2021 at 7:01am
yes ! one of those 'gotta READ the ultra fine print' deals.....
I have 'commercial, 23W, DIMMABLE' LEDs outside(look like regular E27 base) lightbulbs..here and there.. they always come on when asked, even in -20*C temps.
The cheapy stuff is made for INSIDE a nice,warm house.
Also.. 'dimmable' doesn't mean every dimmable LED will work with every dimmer. Another 'read the manual' thing...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2021 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by KJCHRIS KJCHRIS wrote:

Are you positive its LED ? I went from CFL's { compact Flourescent light} to LED's to get away from the dim flickering at startup in cold weather. My storage bldg now has 6 LED's all instant bright, also my garage to house backdoor has motion sensor it's instant on and bright w LEDs. 
 LMAO !!! , yes the 2 I've tried are LED'S Wink !! Steve from Ill. is probably  correct, I changed 1 bulb with a different one that was sitting in a drawer for some reason Confused. The bitch of is I got NO WHERE NEAR 10,000 hours on either of the "suspect" bulbs Angry !! 
Thanks for the replies to everyone Big smile
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2021 at 7:07pm
Maybe you should go buy some NEW quality bulbs instead of taking 'suspect' bulbs out of a drawer...

When I switched from one 100 watt incandescent bulb to 3 safety glass fixtures with LED bulbs,  I did not put used bulbs in them, when putting them up in the peak of the hip-roofed haymow of the barn... And they were not the cheapie bulbs either, certain do not want to have to go up there any time soon to change a bulb. lol  LOL
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2021 at 7:25pm
If you have saved the box those cheapie ones came in along with the original receipt, you can get a replacement for them. Read the fine print on the box. However the postage to return them will most likely cost more than the bulb did to begin with. So goes our throw-away-culture.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2021 at 7:34pm
You can buy  60 or 100 watt equiv screw in bulbs for $1-2 .   Throw it away and move on.. I have had a couple last 1000 hour and most last 20 - 50,000 and still going.

Edited by steve(ill) - 28 Dec 2021 at 7:36pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 4:05am
Inside a vapor resistant fixture these get too hot, there are fixtures made specifically for LED bulbs for the transformer heat.  That is what kills the lamp is the heat buildup.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 6:21am
It very important to follow the instructions on certain light fixtures. Some will state do not use XX type bulb, do not use bulbs over XX wattage, etc. Also read what is on the bulb package, certain bulbs are not designed to be used in fixtures where the is upside down, or sideways, or with dimmers, etc.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 6:57am
Originally posted by JC(WI) JC(WI) wrote:

Maybe you should go buy some NEW quality bulbs instead of taking 'suspect' bulbs out of a drawer...

When I switched from one 100 watt incandescent bulb to 3 safety glass fixtures with LED bulbs,  I did not put used bulbs in them, when putting them up in the peak of the hip-roofed haymow of the barn... And they were not the cheapie bulbs either, certain do not want to have to go up there any time soon to change a bulb. lol  LOL
So, are those 10,000 hour bulbs?  Some of those July/August days I put in in the haymow in the 70's 80's seemed about that long!LOL
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 10:08am
LED bulbs, probably like all other  bulbs are NOT rated for '10,000' CONTINUOUS hours. usually in the microfont fine print, they 'll say 'based on an average of 4 hrs per day' or some other dribble....
makes me wonder if that light bulb in some firehall is still on ?
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 10:34am
Siiigghhhhh......guy can't even crack the slightest funny anymore.
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 11:07am
Sure ya can, I get a chuckle out of them
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 5:24pm
Same Here.Big smile
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 5:47pm
I have switched over to 100% ... 9 watt LED bulbs ( equiv to 60 watt)... I do have 5-6 of the 16 watt ( equiv to 100 w) in the shop.... I got rid of 2 x 40 watt fluor, and put in 3 x 9 w LED in a fixture in every room....... Probably go close to 50 bulbs in the house and shop.

I have two 1 Watt bulbs in the hall way ceiling and bathroom that i use as a "night lite"... been running 24 x 7  x 365 for over 5 years   ( 45,000 hours)...... some of the 9 watt now have over 20,000 hours... some run 12 hours a day... some run 6 hours.

I like the BRIGHT DAYLIGHT bulbs at Menards......

Edited by steve(ill) - 29 Dec 2021 at 5:57pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2021 at 6:22am
Installed less expense fluorescents i my shop when built as were inexpensive for 8’ lamps, will soon get swapped to LED. Whole house was built around LED with dimmables in many locations, price has dropped some since then
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic