This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Leaking exhaust valve HD16DC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morten.have Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leaking exhaust valve HD16DC
    Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 12:34pm
Hello today I discovered a sad failure on my 16’ it have a oil leak on the number one exhaust valve. And I surely know how to fix it the right way but I don’t have the time. Are any of you in knowledge of a shortcut or a temporary way to fix it without removing the cylinder head. I have newer used a can mechanic product before but I’m ready now... I think
Sponsored Links

jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 5:34pm
That sucks Miorten. My knowledge is limited on the internals. I believe I have a leaking exhaust valve as well but not significant. Some oil wetness under the manifold.
HD16DC, Bobcat 863 Turbo, Oliver 1855, John Deere 855,
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 6:09pm
Oil coming out a exhaust port is usually not a leaking valve but rings failing to seat and oil being bypassed around the piston.

The standard I am using is the training I received in 1976 on Cummins engines, we would take the manifolds down, run an older engine at high idle and inspect the top of the exhaust ports for oil migration, that told us which cylinder was using or throwing oil, bad rings or bad piston or both.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 9:08pm
Agree it's not a valve problem.Dose the oil with Seafoam and see what happens.If a broken ring,not gonna help. If stuck rings,you may fix it!
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 5:50am
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Oil coming out a exhaust port is usually not a leaking valve but rings failing to seat and oil being bypassed around the piston.

The standard I am using is the training I received in 1976 on Cummins engines, we would take the manifolds down, run an older engine at high idle and inspect the top of the exhaust ports for oil migration, that told us which cylinder was using or throwing oil, bad rings or bad piston or both.

That makes me feel a little better DMiller. I wasn’t planning on doing anything as tractor runs strong, smokes very little, oil consumption good. Does the sea foam trick work for stuck rings! Do you have to dump oil after use? Thank you again.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 6:26am
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

Agree it's not a valve problem.Dose the oil with Seafoam and see what happens.If a broken ring,not gonna help. If stuck rings,you may fix it!

Would also try that first.

A glazed cylinder wall, weak rings will do this if the engine is not working hard, that is about the least one can expect.

Edited by DMiller - 13 Nov 2018 at 6:27am
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 7:14am
Thank you D
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 11:41am
Hey Morten, sorry you have problems, glad you are back!  Since the crawler was taking an extended vacation, while you were resting, perhaps the rings did get stuck.  The Seafoam shouldn't hurt your oil but if you know which cylinder it is that has the problem, you could pull that injector and pour enough in the hole to cover the piston.  It would soak down around the rings and hopefully free them up.  My 2 cents worth...

Edited by JohnCO - 13 Nov 2018 at 11:44am
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Morten.have View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morten.have Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 12:27pm
Hello John it’s the best idea to date! I have the exhaust manifold removed so I can turn over the engine and poor it down that way. I hope it can free the rings.

I have talked to some people over here and they suggested me to poor a half bottle 1/2 liters of sparkling water directly in the intake with the engine in hi idle. I’m personally think it’s a little bit drastic, but they say it’ will work.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 2:09pm
Don't use much. will take forever to burn off when running again. Another cheat for worn engines was to sprinkle a VERY LIMITED amount of scrubbing powder DRY into the intake. Was called the Bon Ami (Old US Cleanser) trick, comet does the same but as a reminder we wiped out a demonstrator engine on a dyno at power with a REAL Tablespoon filled with floor sweepings at a shop I worked. With engine at rated power we sprinkled in the dirt and watched HP die off, One full spoonful ATE that Cummins 855 alive.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 3:26pm
IIRC you used to be able get an additive for glazing which, added to the  fuel, produced a mild abrasive when it burnt.

Sounds a bit odd if glazing that it is only one cylinder?
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 4:03pm
Reason I love this forum is the diverse questions and solutions or ideas. I never heard of scouring powder to de glaze cylinder linings. Makes sense but never heard of that.

Of course I never would have tried to seat a bead on a skidsteer tire using ether until I saw it. Worked. AND i still will never do it. Looked dangerous as hell. Farmer showed me. I noticed he had no eyebrows, missing a few fingers and walked with a limp.

That told me everything I needed to know about the old tricks book he was reading. hahahahahah

Good luck Morten. You are in great hands.
Morten.have View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morten.have Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 4:44pm
Its all good tricks but i dont know witch to use. They are all good in some way.

It’s a shame it’s not a CAT if it’s was a D9 I could rip the piston down in less than a hour. And change the rings the as they probably should. And if it was the valve oil seal I could replaced it without removing the cylinder head.   But it looks like a big job on this old Allis. So I’m afraid that have chooses the easy way..
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 4:57pm
Ya know Morten, I’m surprised you didn’t think of this,,, what your girl needs is a coat of Persian Orange. Would fix it right up!
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 6:07pm
 "I never heard of scouring powder to de glaze cylinder linings. Makes sense but never heard of that. "

Bon Ami seemed to be standard practice with rebuilding Cat engines in the 1960's here - which is about when I heard it first.  IIRC the first oil change was about 10 hours too.

I guess the fuel additive was less subject to the size of the handfulls

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 6:23pm
Heard of the bon ami thing, but never had reason to try it...  Another one I have tried, with some positive effects, on the small gassers that I run, is to put 1 qt to 4, dextron 3 atf, to scrub the glaze offa the cyls...  Add the atf, and work it hard, a coupla days, then change back to reg motor oil...
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 7:02pm
Can see that too Dave, just a little leery on either method on a older potentially close to age related failures beast.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by jerbob jerbob wrote:

I never would have tried to seat a bead on a skidsteer tire using ether until I saw it. Worked. AND i still will never do it. Looked dangerous as hell.

And nobody should... because the fire which causes the tire to expand into that rim, stops burning for one of two reasons-  first is that the fuel (ether) is completely consumed, or the oxygen level falls too low to support combustion.  Of course, the tire's bead will initially seat, and then the next step, is to put more air in the tire to fully seat it and bring it up to operating pressure... and in doing so, you add a bunch of oxygen, at high pressure... which mixes with whatever Ether happens to still be present in the tire.

Fuel, oxygen, compression... all you need... is a source of ignition.

There's an old woman in a small town in south central Iowa who's missing the lower half of her arm.  When she last had her hand, she was 29, holding the hand of her young daughter as they walked to the store.  That young daughter's last portrait, was her silhouette, holding her mother's hand, splattered against the cement block wall of the town grocery store, when a dumptruck's tire exploded.  My father's client was cleared of liability, and every other truck in that city's fleet was stripped of wheels and tires, replaced with new, because every one of them was found to have ether inside.

Anyone who does this stunt, has absolutely no grasp of physics.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 7:46pm
You  are absolutely correct Dave! The ether trick sounds fine up front but nobody tells and often don't know the rest of the story.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 5:51am
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

You  are absolutely correct Dave! The ether trick sounds fine up front but nobody tells and often don't know the rest of the story.

Gotta say I wouldn’t have believed it till I saw the old guy do it. I’ve done some things that afterwards seemed foolish or even reckless,,but this stunt had disaster written all over it.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 7:22am
Morten, I will have to agree here its not likely your exhaust valve.  Worst case scenerio, rings, sleeves and head gaskets are available.  When i acquired my 16 it was an oil drinker, and when i overhauled the engine some of the rings were worn over 3/4 original thickness!  If it were mine i would certainly try the stuck ring suggestions first.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic