This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kansas sorgrum

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kansas sorgrum
    Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 6:22pm
Ok guys we are going by thousands if acres of Milo or sorghum.   What in the world do they use this much for?
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 7:33pm
maybe they make ethanol from it ??
can't believe humans and critters could eat it all !

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 7:37pm
I thought Milo and Corn were real close in food value.  I know turkeys were eating it real good, at least it was in the '50s and '60s.

Edited by JoeO(CMO) - 25 Oct 2018 at 7:40pm

HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 7:54pm
Kinda gotta feel sorry for these guys. There are lakes of water standing every where. I hope they get their crops out. Do they plant sorghum after they combine wheat?
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 8:05pm
We grew milo when I was a kid. We combined it. We also grew millet for hay. I recall the milo would really itch.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 8:08pm
Now you guys know how I feel when I go up to Minnesota and see the vast expanses of corn and beans. I’ve often thought the same, “What could they possibly use all that for?”

Most of the milo is used for its carbohydrates in animal feed, and also for ethanol. I’ve heard it is gaining popularity because it is gluten-free and non-GMO. Supposedly they use it as a substitute for wheat in gluten free bread.
You could consider milo “Great Plains corn”. Same family, but it only requires about 1/3 the amount of water corn uses, which is something we are usually pretty scarce on.

Yes, Tom, it is planted in the spring. Some people double crop it with wheat, but most of the time we don’t have enough water in the soil to do that in western Oklahoma, which is why we let fields lay out sometimes.

Personally, milo is my favorite thing to combine.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 8:20pm
Neighbors crop it up to cut it as silage forage for trench silo storage. The other neighbor mowed and baled his outer six rows then rains came on, it all regrew and headed back up, he was as amazed as I.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 8:23pm
They do that with cotton in south Texas where it doesn’t get too cold. Pick the cotton, shred the stalks, it regrows, and they pick it a second time.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 8:43pm
We grew it and mixed with corn for hog feed.  Dad always claimed it was hard on the soil as it took a lot of nutrients out, don't know whether it did or not or whether he just hated combining the itchy stuff.
Maximum use of available resources!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 9:14pm
dad planted it to mix in the hog feed one year. never planted it again. was the dustiest, itchiest, nastiest chit to handle! our humidity made a lot of it mold. look in the bird seed you buy for the wild birds, it's about 95% milo. and the birds don't like it either! I've seen it as a wheat substitute for bread, haven't tasted it yet....oh...wait...maybe I have....it might be called "Sam's Choice" gluten free bread! that was real nasty bread too!
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 5:06am
I also recall a lot of farmers used it for a cover crop when planting CRP. Pheasants love it and it made for good hunting.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 8:26am
it IS good cover for game birds, and the geese also like it. almost hafta burn the foliage down after combining to till the ground...it's sum heavy stuff! ours was anyways.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 8:26am
I wondrred, dad would plant 5 or 6 acres of corn and mix the tall sorghum with the seed corn in the planter box. Then we chopped it for silage. Neighbor had an old 720 diesel and 1 row JD chopper and 12 or 15 guys would get together and chop silage. It was all that old 720 wanted this was in the 1960's.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic