This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Just come in from outside

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just come in from outside
    Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 2:57pm
Starting to spit cold rain. 60 years ago this is about the time of day in June,july Aug that we would have come in the house for a 15-20 minute water break. Dad would flip on the TV and find a ball game. Back then the Yankees were the team to watch with Pee Wee Riese and Dizzy Dean announcing. If it was a close game we might watch a couple of innings, never the whole game. We had hay to put in the barn. If we were hauling it to the north farm, 5 miles north, we never got to watch. He figured we would get our break on the seat of the tractor. When the 2 barns and the 30x60 hog house got full there, we would fill the big old barn at home or stack them outside. I started bailing hay in 5th grade and only stopped when I joined the Army. Was good times.
Sponsored Links

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 6:12pm
Sure sounds like a good time to be in life , wish it was here today !
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 6:54pm
Our typical break was to grab lunch and a drink under the hay wagon in the shade. We could cool down on the way home with two big lads of hay behind one of the WD45's. Late in the evening the hay was unloaded into the barn while Dad started the milking chores.
Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 9:05pm
Chris that is what happened if we were bailing at the north farm. Mom and 2 sisters would show up with lunch and ice cold cool aid or tea for us 3 boys and a hot thermous of coffee for dad.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 11:27pm
For many years, we had 7 wagons and most were 16' beds and we would bale till either the wagons were all loaded, (sometimes we were unloading at the barn while some bodies were out baling too, hard to fill all the wagons that way.)... or we ran out of dry hay to bale, or the weather stopped us.
 Back when I was to small to handle bales, I drove the tractor and dad would be on the wagon ... and he would load three wagons and then come home and unload them and go back and finish the rest. or repeat. We used a hay-hoist and bale fork. 10 bales at a time. Dad set the fork and guide the hay up and into the barn and trip the bale fork, then he or I would pull the fork back out of the barn to the end of the track and I would grab the start stop rope and slow it down just before it would get into dad's reach so he could set it on the bales in one move. Had to keep the ropes just so tight so that he would hang on to them and step around the fork to set the tines and step off the bales to send those ten up.  And we would stop to suck that cold water off the pipe at the barn... and refresh the water jugs and maybe stop at the house and grab a bite and be on our way again.
 Later years we had 4 thrower racks and a thrower baler but had to stack the bales yet for unloading. and the next year we put a hay conveyor up and had to handle each bale for putting on the elevator... Slower than using the old balefork and hoist, but faster to bale in the field... 1976 we got the round baler and would use it to finish up the hay after the wagons were full. Now the round baler is used most of the time and hardly any squares are made... yet I would like to have at least a thousand of them up in the mow.
 Was just looking at some pics from the 50-60-70-80's and sure miss those times.... and miss the way the country was back in those days too.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 8:10am

Yeah,,,I hear Ya,,JC,,,We never had to put up hay like that as the farm I grew up on only planted cotton and/or alfalfa most years and since we only had a couple of cows most of the hay had been pre-sold to others who came and took it off the fields themselves.
 It is human nature for people to yearn for the old days in times of extreme stress, and I find myself doing the same,,,,but fear not My friend,,,we ARE going to get past this chapter in our lives, and we will be better for the experience.
  This pandemic has taught the whole world that it takes people working together to conquer such a crisis. I think even China will be better for it, altho, it might be just getting  better at hiding chit like they did. I firmly believe that the ink is not yet dry on China's actions and they will certainly bear the brunt of their deceitful actions,!!
 What really makes me PROUD to be an American in these uncertain times, is watching on TV where many thousands of womenfolk volunteering and sewing masks and hospital gowns for their countrymen,,,just like the last world war,,! Goes a long way to reinforcing your beliefs in human nature, don't it,,??Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic