This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Just Bought a D14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinwheat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just Bought a D14
    Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 6:37am
I just bought a D14 in nice shape but hasnt run in 7 years.  My first question is according to the serial number which is 23911 it is 12v, but when i bought it I was told it was 6v.  It didnt come with a battery or a voltage regulator so how do I tell?  My second question is the carbuertor hose that is hard plastic has a hole in it and I'm not sure where to find one, any thoughts or does anyone have one?  Any other suggestions would also be appreciated.
Sponsored Links

Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 9:22am
I thought they were 12V?

Also what Plastic hose would be there? The intake is metal (Except for a rubber connector piece) as is the fuel line.
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
Dave Richards (WV) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Richards (WV) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 9:40am
The 14s started out as 6v, I understand that some later ones were 12.  Check the data tag on your generator it should say.  And maybe the data tag on the Starter if the generator was replaced with an alternator like mine.  If the tags don't say, you can still research the model number on them.  
Bolivar Boy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bolivar Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 9:51am
kevin. i think the limited run of 14's were all 6 volt. a large number were converted to 12 however because of starting issues, especially in cold weather. most were converted to a 1 wire 12 volt alternator charging system yet retained the 6 volt starter. the old 6 volt starter would take the additional voltage without issue and really spin the little mouse motor quite well. if your 14 has an alternator instead of a generator you can be pretty certain its a 12 volt system. a few 12 volt generators were installed by owners but that is the exception to the rule.
since the 14's came out they were cussed and discussed. lack of power, weight etc. i still infer that the selling dealer had a lot to do with ones attitude towards this great tractor. to often the d 14 was touted as a replacement for the wd 45 when in reality the 14 was a replacement for the ca. if money was an issue, it always was and still is, the dealer would back off the d17 and low ball grandpa on a 14 to replace his wd or 45. the old bait and switch tactic. worked well till grandpa dropped a 3x14 in the ground or belted up to a silo blower. still a fantastic little orange piece though with all the toys the bigger d series tractors had. enjoy........!
Don M SEIA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don M SEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 10:26am
D14s changed to 12volt at # 19001.  From the factory they were  Positive Ground, but could have been changed to negitive ground.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 10:41am
Kevin,welcome to the best tractor site on the web and great choice in a very useful tractor. What ever you do, once your new battery is installed, you need to polarize the generator BEFORE starting the engine. That is if it has a generator. Generators can charge positive or negative ground and need to be polarized to charge the right way.If you happen to get it hooked up the way it was, it still can't hurt to polarize the genny.

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 01 Feb 2012 at 10:45am
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 10:55am
I don't know about the carb hose, but while you are getting things figured out, you can squit a couple shots of oil or transmission fluid in each cylinder. Also before you try to crank it, it might pay to check out the starter and flywheel. Mice have a way of packing that whole compartment with all  kinds of stuff and it's better to check it out than find out it's crammed full when it won't turn over. My G had only sat 2 years and I could fill a 5 gallon bucket up with what I pulled out of that area. Also the starter was stuck from mouse pee. The previous owner thought the engine was stuck!!It can't hurt to clean and change the oil in the air breather too. 
 Have fun.  Charlie
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 12:31pm
Youo can run it without the hose tempoarily.  Ned to get it running first.  Probably 6v, but 12v will work, will just turn over faster.  You will need a large resister in the 12v wire to the coil, may already be one there, folow the wire back to the switch.  It may already have a 12v coil. 

There is a plate under the bell housing the snaps in, I'm thinking about 3" diameter.  Just thin metal.  Remove this plate to remove mouse debris that a previous poster mentioned.

I love my D14, if you want, PM me with any questions.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Ky.Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ky.Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 12:53pm
My dad had a D-14 back in the 60's and it came from factory 12 volt with generator. At the time,it was my favorite to use. It had narrow front and power steering and was the perfect tractor to pull 7' haybine. Thru the 70's and 80's I mowed hundreds of acres of hay with it. Low to the ground and easy to get on and off made it made it my choice over the WD45 or H farmall. Good luck with your tractor!!!!!
HagerAC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HagerAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 5:05pm
At that serial number it should definitley be a 12V.  There should also be a voltage regulator under the tank that will tell you if its 6V or 12V.
30+ A-Cs ranging from a 1928 20-35, to a 1984 8070FWA, Gleaner R52
Chalmersbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chalmersbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 9:54pm
Kevin, WELCOME TO THE FORUM. You can get any question about AC answered here.
I bought a D15 that had a 6 volt battery in it. I checked the regulator, it was 12 volt and pulled a headlight and it was 12 volt. So now it has a 12 volt battery in it. My D14 is an early one with a 6 volt battery, well actually it has an 8 volt battery right now, after an engine rebuild. I hope to switch it to 6 volt this summer. Your D14 should have a 12 volt battery in it. Good luck with your D14, great tractor. Bob

Edited by Chalmersbob - 01 Feb 2012 at 9:56pm
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 9:55pm
AGCO carries the hose the goes from the air cleaner to the carb.  I've had to buy a couple for my D14s.  As others have said, given your serial number, your electrical system should be 12 volts.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic