This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

John Deere strike

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: John Deere strike
    Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 9:31am
John Deere strike seems to be getting serious, as the new news is JD said take it or leave it to the strikers and looking into building equipment in other foreign factories - they have 53- thats pretty impresive- Im thinking the guys should have taken the deal
Sponsored Links

TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 9:56am
Unfortunately for the unions they are operating and pounding their drums under the false illusion the current administration is standing behind them.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 10:46am
JD can certainly try to move production overseas... That will be a huge ordeal in and of itself during normal times, let alone current times and the huge supply chain mess we currently have. Then how much longer do customers here have to wait for their equipment to ship after it is built, sitting in containers on boat from Europe or Asia? How much more are they willing to pay for the increased cost of shipping something overseas that used to be built 600 miles down the road? When does the price go up so much they decide to just buy something from Case/New Holland, AGCO, CAT, Kinze, etc. instead - and probably with a shorter lead time? There are plenty of hardcore JD guys out there, but if you need a new piece of equipment by X date (or if you needed it yesterday?), and your favorite brand is going to be 6 months longer than everyone else and even more expensive, what do you do? Heck, a lot of equipment is too big to fit in a container and will still require plenty of assembly when it arrives in the USA.

Lots of things to consider. From the outside the union looks to be in a pretty strong position right now, and they got a lot out of JD vs. the first offer. My guess is JD and the UAW talk and they give a tiny bit more and the members approve - probably in the best interest of both parties. It is hard to justify record profits (and probably record stock dividends and corporate salaries/bonuses soon to come) and not also give record raises to your employees. Of course JD and all companies have to balance this with the inevitable downturn that will be coming and not give too much, but who knows if that will be next year or 3 years or 5 years from now...

Plenty to think about.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 10:58am
Production has been overseas quite awhile now for nearly all manufacturers of farm machines, mostly just assemblers of foreign components here now.  Have to pay a tax for shipping in fully assembled machines but is cheap in comparison to the raises and demands of benefits from the Unions.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 3:21pm
Not for or against.... But i remember the Springfield Illinois ALLIS Construction Machinery Plant... BIG PLACE.. 100 YEARS OLD... Union thought they ran the place.. FIAT bought 50% of the operation in the 1970s .... in the mid 1980s there was a strike... Union had bid demands...  FIAT said NO... this is what we got, take it or leave it... If you turn us down we will move the factory out of US...... Union told the company to Eat Chit..."YOU WILL NEVER MOVE THIS PLANT"..... 30 days later 500 semis moved in and stripped the place to the concrete floor while 3000 Union guys stood at the gate and watched them pull out.

Sad day for all...
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 4:56pm
There used to be a large Caterpillar plant in York, Pa. back in the 70s. The union want more that CAT was willing to pay and that plant has been close for more than 40 years. Only the Bigwigs in the union made out as they sill have their jobs telling others to strike. I've seen this happen many other places as well.
  I totally agree with workers that better pay, benefits and working conditions is desirable, however giving up 10% to a talking head is no my idea of doing good. I have worked for many bad bosses (which I've told them what I think of them to their face) and a few very good ones that would do the same work as that wanted me to do.  
  What workers need to do is stand up for themselves as individuals instead of carrying a lot of dead weight along with them. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 5:09pm
A neighbor wanted a JD compact tractor with loader. After waiting months they found the tractor, but no loader. He said we would take it, and then wait for the loader. Still waiting,
and now they are on strike. The new tractor is nice, but a tractor with no loader is mostly useless to him. Covid shut down, chip shortage, now strike. Taking the fun out of buying a new toy.

I wonder how tractor sales really are doing.
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 5:22pm
I'm going to probably get put in my place but myself I think green paint is WAY overrated
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 6:10pm
Your right TomC- it is in my opinion, but they have  had good marketing and planning people, 
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 10:30pm
I can't blame the workers for walking, kind of surprised that they voted no the second time.  I think Wjohn is right in his thought, but only time will tell.  It is good to see Deere people sweat a bit when their overpriced machines break down and parts aren't available!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 10:51pm
a fellow i know ordered a new CAT excavator last spring (march i think he said) and he still hasn't gotten it, says it's made somewhere over seas, he's been making payments on it monthly but he doesn't have it yet. CAT won't tell him when it will arrive or if it's even built yet. he thinks if it does come,it'll be stuck ona ship waiting to get to a port. i didn't know that CAT had moved their factory overseas. i toured one factory of theirs in IL when i was younger, that place was HUGE! are there any of the big brands made here anymore? coffee shop talk says there is a green combine  sitting in a field of corn near here, been there awhile, broke and no parts to fix it. i dunno why no one will go in and finish his crop? maybe the dealers aren't renting machines? maybe he burned some bridges?  i was never a union person myself, but did belong to a union where i worked. only reason is where i worked the union could save my job better if needed and if sued they had good lawyers. i was just a follower, not a leader or a real gung ho union person.  
matador View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 11:09pm
The dealers don't have machines to rent out here. The neighbor had a heck of a time finding a part for his S670. He was down to just one 9600 (His other one had a cab fire this year), and when that one had problems, he was out of action entirely until he could get it going again. He was planning on fixing and borrowing the 7700 I bought at auction to finish harvest, but Deere got the part finally and he got going again. Funny enough, one of our combines did end up harvesting some of his crop, but it was our little F2 doing about an acre that was too wet for him earlier. Having a light machine sometimes is a blessing.

But, that's how bad it is out here. He wanted to rent a tractor this spring. Neither the Deere, Case IH, or Massey dealer had any available to rent
Tractors: Allis WD (x2), Allis 7040, Oliver 1800A Diesel, Case 830 Caseomatic, White 2-105, Massey 1105 | Plus a Gleaner F2, 30' A-C 1300 Cultivator, Flightline bale elevator
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2021 at 11:23pm
seems it would easier to list what is available right now.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 5:57am
I ordered some o-rings from Newholland. The parts guy said let me call you back.
He called back and said they would have them Friday afternoon.
I went in yesterday. I noticed they only have 2 tractors 🚜 n the whole lot. Big tractors. Even the equipment was scarce. The parts guy told me the only reason I got the o-rings is because a sister dealer had them on n the shelf.
They can’t get small tractors and can’t get any parts whatsoever.
Bud fluid was too much $75.00 per 5 gallons, so I went to the local oil supply.
Guy at the oil supply says they can’t get Rotella.
No one around here has Rotella
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 8:34am

Hey Thad,,,did you try TSC,,,? I seen some Rotella at the local TSC bout a week ago,,,,

I also been waiting on some parts for the Ferguson project  from Yesterday's Tractors going on two months now and all I get when calling is,,,,,"They're on the way",,,PFfffttt!!!!!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 8:45am
Joe, TSC would have been 50 miles in the opposite direction. I was 25 miles East to get the o-rings and TSC is 25 miles north west of home.
I found what I needed at a convenience store. Not gonna mention what I gave per quart. Still with gas at $3.00 + per gallon and time lost. I figured it was worth it to get my project done.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 10:41am
Two weeks and counting on starter rebuild for M3. Also saying parts hard to get
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 10:57am
There's lots of families down in Menterey, Torreon, and Horizontina that are all hoping the union votes everything down.

They've got people, space, and capacity to pick it all up.

Edited by DaveKamp - 07 Nov 2021 at 10:58am
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 6:55pm
most all the shortages from all over is copy cats trying to get people to buy impulsivly, many stores have product in the back rooms or in on site conex boxes...they are betting that when they do put to product on the shelves...it will sell really fast! and of course the stuff that is still on the shelves is stuff that's hard to sell when other like stuff is out there. hopefully a sales ploy that will burn their a$$'s off! i know when a store does that to me...i just won't buy the items, i'll make other arrangements. others around here are following suit. there are other places to buys things. an area store has put alot of their product in the back rooms...filling them...in hopes as i described above, and another local person contacted the fire marshal, he did a walk thru and told them to stock their empty shelves with the product or he'll close the store! the store is still open, the shelves are full, wow...where's the shortage they were talking about? the big company semis are not just out driving around for something to do. alot of big stores are getting 2-3 semi loads of items everyday. maybe if ya'll would tip off your state fire marshal...things might change, he don't hafta make an appointment! sure worked in our town! there are senerios all over and some places are strapped for parts or supplies...but not all of them. i could go on and on...but most of you will get the picture!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 7:20pm
I wonder where they’re hiding all those tractors and trucks?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 10:33pm
there's no shortage of trucks in my area. dealers have just as many as they always carry. maybe they are shuffling them around more than usual to their other stores?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2021 at 10:33pm
I think a lot of them on are the 150 floating cargo ships off the coast of LA !! Wink
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 7:19am
Just recently took a trip through 8 southern states.
They all have a shortage of trucks.
You couldn’t see the ports for the stacked up containers.
JLS retired View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLS retired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 11:31am
heard a podcast other day said chip shortage is car makers using (relativly) old tech and chip makers R all after the newest and fastest (and more profitable) chips. Old lines are dropped, manufacturing facilities are changed to newer stuff, and dinosaur car makers are stuck. Said newer outfits like Tesla and some I never heard of before don't seem to have any problems because they have jumped on the latest cpu equipment. P S New green equip coming from JD s europe plants are too big for containers, comes over on roll on/roll off ships.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 11:58am
Originally posted by JLS retired JLS retired wrote:

heard a podcast other day said chip shortage is car makers using (relativly) old tech and chip makers R all after the newest and fastest (and more profitable) chips. Old lines are dropped, manufacturing facilities are changed to newer stuff, and dinosaur car makers are stuck. Said newer outfits like Tesla and some I never heard of before don't seem to have any problems because they have jumped on the latest cpu equipment. P S New green equip coming from JD s europe plants are too big for containers, comes over on roll on/roll off ships.

Maybe this is right, but it sounds wrong to me.  In "normal" times (whatever the heck that is), millions of vehicles per year are sold.  "As goes automotive, as goes the manufacturing economy" they say.  Seems a strong enough market to command a presence, regardless of what vintage they want.  
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 12:41pm
all "new" electronics goes thru a test procedure to see how long it will last... Maybe they are shooting for 99.9% life...failure rate ( 1 in 1000) after 3-4 years of use.. That would be good for a computer / cell phone........... Not so good for cars out in the weather... They need 99.999%  for 10- 15 years .... Some of the "new" stuff might not be high enough quality to meet AUTO/ Air Craft needs........... dont know, but i HEARD that.

Edited by steve(ill) - 08 Nov 2021 at 12:42pm
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 12:50pm
That too.  
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 6:10am
The average new vehicle has about 50 semiconductors, or microchips. More options, more microchips. 

The service manager to me that my truck (2021 Ford F-350 Platinum diesel) has about 140 (+/-) microchips.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 6:26am
For the most part, the microchips are NOT a 'service ' problem. The chunk of silicon inside some epoxy is an extremely robust, reliable component. I've got 35 year old (1983ish) laptops and they still function fine...
The biggest problems with 'computerz in cars' are 1)  wire and connectors and 2) LOUSY programming.
re: 1..wife's Nissan would both NOT start using remote AND if running, you could remove key(yeah  it NEEDS a real key), then you could DRIVE it ! After several trips to dealer,they FINALLY removed/reinstalled the remote starter 'computer' AFTER I TOLD them why it was failing and how to fix it
re: 2.chips are cheap so programmers code 'bloatware'...excessively complicated code, taking up lots of space, and they never do any actual testing ,in the car, in real world conditions( works on paper...so it has to work.....) CANbus, the communications protocol in  today's vehicles, is TERRIBLY complex so LOTS can go wrong, and a NIGHTMARE to troubleshoot. Course they don't, they just replace this box, that box,...there it works, that'll be $5K please.....

If you think it's bad now, just wait until the 'human presense detection' computer s get added. These scan and record who is sitting it which seat to 'help' with safety..... That tech( internal laser scanners, 3D bloatware) is really scary....totally not needed but....'gotta have it'....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 6:30am
Originally posted by WF owner WF owner wrote:

The average new vehicle has about 50 semiconductors, or microchips. More options, more microchips. 

The service manager to me that my truck (2021 Ford F-350 Platinum diesel) has about 140 (+/-) microchips.
Right, and multiplied over millions of vehicles.  That's why I don't buy the version of things about higher tech chips.  I
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic