This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Job oppertunity

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Job oppertunity
    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 12:21am
I got a call from a pal of mine who is a full time rural mail carrier. Local post office is wanting a part time mail carrier. Ya I know its hard to keep your car/pickup clean and serviced. I dealt with all the local carriers when I owned the tire shop. It will never be a permenant position. $18.25 per hour. Old gal tells me to apply for the job. With her heart problems I think I'll not. Anybody on here ever of this?
Sponsored Links

thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 6:13am
I have several family members that were/are mail carriers. Benefits are hard to beat but I don't think they pay benefits to part timers. At least not here. For me having to deal with people/traffic everyday wouldn't be worth it but to each their own
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 6:35am
I think there is a full time opening here. We seem to be getting a huge pile of mail about 2 or 3 days a week and nothing the rest of the days. We had the same awesome carrier for years and years. She retired a few years back and it’s been a nightmare since.
To answer your question, it will destroy modern vehicles quick around here in the rough country.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 7:05am
My postie won't  retire and the youngins fight to have his route when he's on holidays(7weeks) or 'sick' ( 3-4 weeks). Canada Post use Ford Transits, at least here.
I looked into delivering papers/flyers but it was going to COST me money to have that job !! Rather sit here, nice and warm !
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 8:17am
Couple miles away from me is an old mail carrier type "jeep" right handed for sale, 2wd. Thought about picking it up as a "farm rat" but they are way high, plus I figure someone else wanting to do mail on contract would have snapped it up.
Some convert to right hand drive here and I just saw a nearly new Toyota Tacoma delivering that had been ordered in or convertedto right side.
Down at the road last month getting my mail and "mailperson" showed up with a KIA Sportage, center console removed and young lady was straddling the hump sitting on a pillow so don't know what requirements are for vehicle anymore, or what insurance they require.
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 8:31am
Hd6gtom, I look into it when I was getting ready to retire and it's basely you work every Saturday and when one of the carriers want off sort of like being on call, I decide it wasn't what I was looking for. HTH  
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 8:50am
Question...Does the Postal Service pay expenses on vehicle? does your insurance cover you, or would you need extra insurance. Would you need to modify your vehicle for driving for driving from the wrong side?
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 9:00am
know a couple local guys that do the RURAL part time routes here.... Pay is decent, but i dont think there are benifits or car costs............ Its YOUR CAR... brakes and tire wear on the gravel road are the main complaints... Do it for a few years and the transmission can have troubles... Lots of shifting / braking / and traveling 20 MPH.. You can buy conversions for the right hand drive, but most  straddle the hump or use bench seat.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 10:11am
Classmate of mine Rural carrier ran a Subaru Legacy with RH drive for many years.  It was a standard Japanese vehicle with North American equipment and Legacy nameplate.  Subaru quit making the Postal Vehicle about 15-20 years ago, and Jeep Cherokees took over after that.  Our carrier now uses one of those Grumman LLV vehicles.

Edited by TramwayGuy - 13 Feb 2020 at 10:12am
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 10:17am
I was a sub carrier for a few years, then full time for 24 years. If things haven't changed too much in 30 years the sub carrier gets wages and mileage. I had 140 mile route, mostly gravel roads, you need a car that is dedicated to this as it will be so dirty you won't want it for anything else. And you will work a lot of Sat and days after holidays when the mail is double and you are basically on call. From what I know now in the six years since I retired it has gotten a lot worse on getting things just right. For me it was a great job as I could continue with my small farm and has a good retirement. And no benefits for subs that I know of, if you are looking at sub work and don't want a full time job there is no chance for advancement.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
Dennis(IA) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 11:12am
I did some subbing in the winter (late '60s) when I lived in Nebraska. The first few days where bad, some f&%$# people don't put their name on the box and the place looks abandon. But I did not get any complaints.
AlanPetersdrew View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanPetersdrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 1:10pm
I understand you, man. I was in a similar situation, and when those taxes increase due to the pandemic, oh gosh. I had no money but had to pay for everything, and my family still needed to be helped. Until now, I have not coped with everything, but at least I found a job, and even remotely, so I can simultaneously do housework to make my mother's life easier. I applied for online jobs for a long time until I came across remote qa tester jobs. At least I have money to pay for the house and help my mom.  The next step is to get back on my feet and regain my previous financial state.

Edited by AlanPetersdrew - 13 Jun 2021 at 3:45pm
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 3:51pm
TSA is crying for help last I heard!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 5:21pm
Could be worse ways of deliverin mail!

Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 5:50pm
I just got a notice in the mail today looking for part time help. Paying $19.06/hr now
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 6:55pm
I retired ASAP just because of the idiots out there that drive like they want to be the first on the scene of the accident that they are about to have. I figured that after 45+ years of things getting continually worse it was time to get off the road on a daily basis. Last week coming home on a county road I had a car come out from a driveway and never even slowed to look to see that I was coming down the road in a tractor trailer. Then just today the wife and I took a trip down near to Harrisonburg Va. to get some things and and go nearly run off the road on interstate 66 by a group of border agents that were afraid to get out of sight of the lead vehicle, because that was probably the only one of the bunch that knew where they all were going.  Then again on I-81 coming home by 2 Florida minivans that could have had a chain between them that were weaving from lane to lane to pass everything in sight.  Go back out on the road daily, NO WAY.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
AlanPetersdrew View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanPetersdrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 7:49am
I understand you, man. I was in a similar situation, and when those taxes increase due to the pandemic, oh gosh. I had no money but had to pay for everything, and my family still needed to be helped.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic