This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Isky cam specs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 6:35am
Originally posted by mgburchard mgburchard wrote:

you will see where the lifter rises up the lash ramp then drops off in a valley where lash opens back up then starts closing and rising looks a lot like the ramp cranky shows in the 175 can specs.

Only in worn out parts and your little dream world does a cam grind start to lift, go back down and then lift again,,,,

Sponsored Links

Larry(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 7:12am

Larry the cam you have has less than 230 lift .You can see this right awayif you look at the heel then rotate the cam you will see where the lifter rises up the lash ramp then drops off in a valley where lash opens back up then starts closing and rising looks a lot like the ramp cranky shows in the 175 can specs topic. If you believe a engine and a air compressor are the same you will love that cam it has -5 overlap . Pankey said he hated it worse can he ever had cause he builds engine not air compressors

So are you telling me that the Barney cam you traded to me is a junk piece?
'40 WC puller,'50 WD puller,'50 M puller '65 770 Ollie

*ALLIS EXPRESS contact*

I can explain it to you, BUT I cannot understand it for you!!
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 7:31am
The A-C 175 cam specs I have provided are directly taken from the Official A-C Service Manual. They refer to the info as valve timing. There is zero reference to .050" of anything. I believe it is actual valve opening and closing with the valve lash adjusted to specs.
mgburchard View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 7:48am
The cam Pankey traded Larry came from the late jt Richardson it was the smallest cam of the two grinds . If you are of the believe that you should close the intake valve at bdc you will love it . If your of the belief that you need overlap cause air has momentum and can fill the cylinder even with piston rising then you will hate it. Tom yes I knew as well as Pankey that the valve events but with a little math it can be figured and if degreeing a cam in block its easier to measure events at .050 so we assume its .050 knowing that it would be greater than the actual valve lash . Only way Pankey would know for sure is to can Dr. A actual 175 cam and the only person who has one is you.
Larry(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 8:02am
Maybe I should find a Cam doctor local and see what he says. Butch, does Fowler have one? I think I need to call Barney and talk to him too. Might answer a few questions

*ALLIS EXPRESS contact*

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 8:15am
Larry who spec the cam you traded to Mitch since you know who spec the cam he traded you . Call barney I think you'll find he likes overlap .however we know nelson doesn't cause he was bragging about recamming a motor barney had done with his camshaft instead of barns . after all nelson gone he got the info on ICL so now he can follow in Pankey footsteps

Edited by mgburchard - 11 May 2015 at 8:16am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 8:52am
Its a great cam Pankey says if you have stock stroke and use a 8.5 inch long rod

Edited by mgburchard - 11 May 2015 at 8:53am
Larry(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 9:25am

Larry who spec the cam you traded to Mitch since you know who spec the cam he traded you . Call barney I think you'll find he likes overlap .however we know nelson doesn't cause he was bragging about recamming a motor barney had done with his camshaft instead of barns . after all nelson gone he got the info on ICL so now he can follow in Pankey footsteps

A local guy speced that cam and to talk to him, we need to dig him up. He may not say much though.

*ALLIS EXPRESS contact*

wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 9:53am

Marty advancing the intake caused your exhaust duration to increase over 20 degrees in duration

How does the exhaust duration increase? You edited the post, so you put your best thought into this......exhaust timing events change, but explain how the duration changes

"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 10:01am

I don't suppose it would do any good to explain the asymmetrical lobe pattern i put in would it.
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 10:38am
You could but it would just be redundant I already described it in detail cause that's Larry's cam he got from Pankey

Edited by mgburchard - 11 May 2015 at 10:38am
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 10:57am
First it is a Pank grind and a deeply held speed secrete then it transformed to a standard Richardson grind and now a Barney Taylor cam??? 

I think it is a Chameleon cam since it changes by the hour. 

Larry, Fowler is out of buisiness last I new, check with Terry Shade at Belleville  
Last I knew Cam Dr was not a machine but a computer program that is used with shop built stands and user supplied inputs for linear and rotational motion. (To save head scratching and stupid posts that's up and down and round and round Pank.)  They maybe building complete units now?
When set up correctly it will chart a camshaft. 
To check a single camshaft charting can be done at home. Easiest if installed in a short block.  All you need is a degree wheel, a dial indicator, graph paper and about a half hour to plot the readings.

Then you can proudly boast that your tractor has a charted camshaft in it,,whoa!! Thumbs Up

Be sure to let us know all about how it ramps up, then goes back down, then ramps up again like the Tennessee two step,Tongue
Larry(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by Butch(OH) Butch(OH) wrote:

First it is a Pank grind and a deeply held speed secrete then it transformed to a standard Richardson grind and now a Barney Taylor cam??? 

Larry, Fowler is out of buisiness last I new, check with Terry Shade at Belleville  
Last I knew Cam Dr was not a machine but a computer program that is used with shop built stands and user supplied inputs for linear and rotational motion. (To save head scratching and stupid posts that's up and down and round and round Pank.)  They maybe building complete units now?
To check a single camshaft charting can be done at home. Easiest if installed in a short block.  All you need is a degree wheel, a dial indicator, graph paper and about a half hour to plot the readings.

Then you can proudly boast that your tractor has a charted camshaft in it,,whoa!! Thumbs Up

Be sure to let us know all about how it ramps up, then goes back down, then ramps up again like the Tennessee two step,Tongue

I wasnt sure about Chris and forgot about the "Shade Grenades" from Belleville.

*ALLIS EXPRESS contact*

Larry(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 12:33pm

Sorry for my stupidity, but who is Nelson?

*ALLIS EXPRESS contact*

RichinIL View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichinIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 5:59pm
Marty Nelson aka Wi50
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 8:20am
Originally posted by Butch(OH) Butch(OH) wrote:

Not only did it come from Richardson, it came from Barney, then it is one pank specked out......it's one pank used, didn't use. It's the best cam ever, then in another statement its the worst cam ever. Then it's an asymmetrical lobe patten, but only in the first few thousandths of lift where it's taking the valve lash up, and get this it only has .230 of lift.
Larry(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 8:35am
Originally posted by RichinIL RichinIL wrote:

Marty Nelson aka Wi50

I forgot that part.

*ALLIS EXPRESS contact*

Larry(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 8:35am
Hey BArney, your 2 cents worth?

*ALLIS EXPRESS contact*

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 12:47pm
Butch you can't keep up can you .Panks cam he traded to Larry came from Barney's cam grinder Jt Richardson . It was the small cubic inch grind and the bigger grind worked better it as Pankey says was a step backwards . Negative 5 overlap be good for a engine that dwells at tdc along time cause long dwell makes small combustion chamber.Like what a8.5 to 9 inch rod would
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 3:45pm
Now a long dwell creates a small combustion chamber? REALLY? So by changing the length of the rod, you can change the size of the combustion chamber? Please expound on this, I can't wait to see how this latest twist develops into another case of Pankeys foot in mouth disease. Geometry is geometry and dimensions are dimensions, and how long it takes for the piston to accelerate and decelerate has absolutely no bearing on where it stops at TDC. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 8:29pm
OK Ken the cylinder head has no combustion chamber the combustion chamber is the top of the block down to piston at tdc. Now if the piston dwells a long period then less overlap is needed . Big combustion chambers need more overlap to fill chamber .
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 9:11pm

Larry the cam you have has less than 230 lift .You can see this right awayif you look at the heel then rotate the cam you will see where the lifter rises up the lash ramp then drops off in a valley where lash opens back up then starts closing and rising looks a lot like the ramp cranky shows in the 175 can specs topic. If you believe a engine and a air compressor are the same you will love that cam it has -5 overlap . Pankey said he hated it worse can he ever had cause he builds engine not air compressors

You stated in a different thread that you (pank) specked out the cam he gave Larry. Now you state low lift (.230) and -5* of overlap.

Well a bone stock cam has 16 degrees of overlap. Dr's specs say 3* btdc intake opening to 13* Atdc e haist closing.    

To get less overlap, you would have to grind lesser duration, and/or change the lobe separation angles dramatically. Why on earth would you do that?

How and why would you ground a cam with 21 degrees less overlap......then in this thread you say it's something Richardson did for Taylor. 2 well respected people in these engines. Your story is conflicting, your math is wrong. Or you've lied so many times, you forgot what you were lying about.    
blue924.9 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue924.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 9:19pm
Oo boy, might have to alert Isky Bout this one
hi my names dan, I am a young guy. i have a problem, i prefer my tractors orange and my clutches mechanical, thanks for letting me share
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 7:05am
I've never spec a can .Pankey and can grinder does that
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 7:08am

nelson I thought you don't like overlap being from duration now your asking why a can would have less than 21 degrees . So your in a agreement that they need more than 21 degrees of overlap from a tighter LSA

Edited by mgburchard - 13 May 2015 at 7:10am
blue924.9 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue924.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 7:15am
Huh how long does it take to grind a can? days? Or does it depend on what kind of pop it was
hi my names dan, I am a young guy. i have a problem, i prefer my tractors orange and my clutches mechanical, thanks for letting me share
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 8:02am
Originally posted by blue924.9 blue924.9 wrote:

Huh how long does it take to grind a can? days? Or does it depend on what kind of pop it was

And that was after Editing,, LOL The pre-edit version was probably like this,,

nelsonIthoughtyoudontlikeoverlapbeingfromdurationnowyouraskingwhyacanwouldhave less than21degreessoyourinaagreementhattheyneedmorethan21degreesofoverlapfromatighter LSA

wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 10:02am

nelson I thought you don't like overlap being from duration now your asking why a can would have less than 21 degrees . So your in a agreement that they need more than 21 degrees of overlap from a tighter LSA

You seam to invent more things I said as you go.  Read page 1 again and see if you can grasp more than half of what I said, and don't make up your own version....use your best 5th grade reading comprehension skills.

What I'm curious on here are the conflicting stories of pank.  He designed the cam, then he got the cam from Barney who got it from Richardson.  Then the cam is junk and has 21 degrees less overlap than a bone stock cam does, and it only has .230 lift.  So let me lay it out like this,

1. You lie and don't even know what you lie about. (proven)

2. Pank can't measure, doesn't know what the numbers mean, or didn't know what the specs were. (highly likely)

3. Pank knew the specs and would willingly pass off bad parts on to someone unsuspecting (I have no doubt pank would do that, but I doubt he knew the specs, if he were smart and/or honest he would have scrapped it)

4. JT and Barney didn't know what they were doing and made junk.  (2 well respected people on these engines passed off junk (not likely at all).  If the cam was the specs pank listed here, Larry's engine would make about 15 hp on a good day, and it runs better than that.

Now lets get back to this fuel injection.  Or is pank to busy at his MUFON convention reporting UFO sightings to cover more on mechanical fuel injection?

Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 10:28am
Marty,
You forgot to add Isky on the list of grinders, LOL

Past the who did what mystery I am more curious about this Pank designed double dipper grind where the lash closes and the valve starts to lift then slams back closed for a bit before finally lifting the valve??  Think about all the intake inversion, diversion and perversion going on with that would ya???

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 11:05am
Pankey traded a cam he doesn't like for a cam that Larry didn't like even trade both traded for something in hopes of liking .Larry provided no specs to Pankey . Pankey told Larry it was a can for small cubic inches. As for Pankeys grind its been around since 1960 and is very common but not assymetrical . No where near like the one cranky posted picture of however the one Larry got its lobe looks a lot like the image cranky provided in the 175 specs. Butch look at it if you can't understand up lash ramp down in valley and back up hill .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic