This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Internet Access

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Internet Access
    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 8:57pm
Now that all schools are teaching via the net, that make the internet essential for all students.  That to me means every house should have internet access.  Maybe even provided free of charge.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 9:00pm
the next GOVT ECONOMIC PACKAGE is to contain INFRASTRUCTURE... New roads, bridges, INTERNET TO EVERYWHERE...
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 9:01pm
a lot of homes DO NOT have internet, they can't afford it. the kids have to use it at school.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 9:27pm
school here sent computers for the kids asked if you have internet acess. I don't know anyone that dosent. were very rural here not even good cell phone coverage but we have fibre optic phone and internet. if you didn't have it there plan was to send an access point. only problem they don't work without cell service. un fortunately they didn't unlock youtube when they sent the computers out and the lectures are on youtube.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 9:31pm
No John nuttins free, they'll find a creative financing why to squeeze it out of you.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 10:55pm
What happens when you're out in the country and you don't have cell phone access NOR internet??!! AngryAngry
Got hard wired phones, but they don't work half the time and now are getting $$$ out of hand!  AngryAngry
We've been promised internet and cell phone service for years, but have yet to see it.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 11:48am
There are lots of people around here that can't afford internet PLUS it don't work well in this area!----- Not everybody gonna put up a 50 foot tower to get internet signals. --- I did and thats the only you get reception here. Phones work so-so, tv? forget that altogether! ( not that I would watch tv if it did work)! --- I can get into enough trouble on my computer so don't need all that fancy stuff.
Internet service here is getting rather costly, so the day will come that I won't have it either.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 2:07pm
yep, I pay out the wazoo for mediocre, at best, 'net service. Now you want my tax dollars to give "free" service, likely better than what I am paying for? there is no such thing a 'free'.
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 3:28pm
Around here the cable companies are making internet free hot spots for the kids that don't have internet to get them threw this school year.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Dakota Dave Dakota Dave wrote:

school here sent computers for the kids asked if you have internet acess. I don't know anyone that dosent. were very rural here not even good cell phone coverage but we have fibre optic phone and internet. if you didn't have it there plan was to send an access point. only problem they don't work without cell service. un fortunately they didn't unlock youtube when they sent the computers out and the lectures are on youtube.

We have areas here ZERO Coverage or have to go to satellite connection, similar to Dish TV no coverage in storms or severe rain/Snow. Also slower than snot sliding off a marble.
knkrein1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knkrein1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 6:27pm
The township that I live here in Michigan 2years ago pasted a bond referendum to install high speed fiber to be available to all homes. The bond is for 20yrs. and we are paying $700.00+ per year. Then on top of that there will be, current rates, an additional $70 -90.00 access fee. Sad thing for us is that we already have a high speed DSL line and I really don't it. Oh well.
ken
Ken R.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 5:31pm
You know, it's rather ironic, that WE the tax payers got all the internet providers in business?  Yes, WE the American tax payer, gave them $$$$$$$$ to get them started and give people out in the sticks access to the internet.  Well, guess where the $$$$ went and did we get internet??  NOPE...   Another 'follow the money trail....'
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 6:52pm
And the State of MO keeps saying they are going to be spending 45 million on getting internet to rural areas,, been saying this for 2 years 
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 8:52pm
I work for an internet provider, and yes, there is government money assistance going towards providing service to everyone in rural areas. I can't say I agree completely with that, but, the ROI on burying cable for hundreds if miles to pick up a few dozen customers makes no sense from a business standpoint. That is where the govt steps in and says hey, we'll help pay a percentage to get the fiber optic out there because we want everyone to have it, and in return, you have to provide a certain amount of signal strength way out here in the boondocks. If you don't, then the money has to be paid back. Right now, we are in the 2nd year of a 10 year program to get this done. It takes time and money to put literally thousands and thousands of miles of cable in the ground, splice it together and get it all lit up and running. Everything has to be located, permits are required to be obtained and they have an expiration date, and then the crews roll out and set up in an area for days, sometimes months at a time, being put up in hotels, paid per diem and such. Trenchers, Cats, plows, directional boring rigs all are transported to these areas and they are very expensive to purchase and operate, with many high wear parts. Then cleanup / black dirt crews come along behind and make it look pretty again by fixing what they tore up, planting grass etc... After all of that is done then the drop crews come in and plow from the mainline to the home. Every resident has the option of being hooked up or opting out. Then the fiber splicers come through and do all the splicing, and the central offices are loaded up with high priced electronic equipment to push the signal out farther down the line and handle the extra load of new customers. 

I'm not trying to stick up for the big business end of all this, I'm just a civilian who used to rip the provider for how expensive their service was, but now seeing all that goes into it, it makes a little more sense to me. I too have a hard time with the government money though, but that's the way it is these days.
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 5:11pm
I have friend in the city just 40 miles from me they come outhere on the country and wonder why we have much better internet service than they do. Our rural phone system is more modern than they have when yhey syaryed running high speed fiber optics to all the farms you didnt have an option to not get it. My phone bill when up alot but its about the same as my phone and DSL combined were. The Company sold off all there wireless customers near the city to Midcontenent comunications and were then eligible for a goverment grant. We as customers have to be shareholders to get service out here.i dont rember how much was bonded to do the upgrade but I did vote for it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic