This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

International tug at bottom of ocean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LB0442 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: International tug at bottom of ocean
    Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 2:27pm
I saw they found the wreckage of the USS Hornet carrier.  Sunk in 1942.  It is so deep that there is very little sunlight so minimal corrosion.   This tractor looks better than some I have seen at auctions and nicer than than a few I have seen in use.

My first duty station was on the Abraham Lincoln.  Carrier duty is an experience.
Sponsored Links

Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 5:08pm
A very cool video. Thanks for sharing. A friend of mine has a farmall golf course that looks very similar.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 5:32pm
get KOO to retrieve it and it'll run again!
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 6:04pm
It's always sad to see those old wreckage's and think of all the men that gave their lives.
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 6:15pm
That video/picture is sure makin the rounds, this is the 3rd forum I've seen it on...Wink

IH sure got its money's worth, offa that lil decal!

And It should be left alone, its a war monument!Thumbs Up
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 8:54pm
When I was 4 or 5 years old, we had a neighbor living with his parents. He was on that ship went it went down. He wasn’t “quite right” when he got home and told stories about men being taken by sharks before they were picked up. Was painting their house one time and kept me and my brother entertained for an entire day while he painted a navy war scene across the side of the house. All good until his mother came out and told him to do it “right”.
The family was a good, proud family from Kansas. He had a sister that was a secretary to Eisenhower when Ike was in Europe.
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 9:04pm
Bout the time that hit the air there'd be a century of rust kicking in all at once.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 7:16am
Yknow, they made them tugs so well, I'll bet there's still water in that radiator!!!  LOL
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 2:52pm
that's a heck of a hole below it
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 2:59pm
Still wondering how did not get swept away during the plunge to the bottom. larger picture showed TWO.
A-C_220 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A-C_220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 5:06pm
The tires look like their still full!
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 6:26pm
I wonder if that tug was tied down when not in use? I don’t think it’s on the deck??? I’ve heard of the Hornet museum (which is like to visit) I didn’t know until tonight that there was more than one.
Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 7:11pm
When it went down, were the aircraft on deck or in the air? And if in the air, where did they land?

I still gots my A/C but it's clear out in the barn now.
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 7:30pm
Everything in the air was landed on other carriers or ditched. Amazing she is upright, in 6000' of water.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

that's a heck of a hole below it

Just how thick is the metal where that hole is?
Maximum use of available resources!
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by DaveKamp DaveKamp wrote:

Yknow, they made them tugs so well, I'll bet there's still water in that radiator!!!  LOL
               At 6000 feet by all rights that radiator should be about the thickness of a quarter. Water pressure is pretty heavy duty down there. Which makes me wonder, does water pressure have any affect on something filled with water?

Edited by Walker - 15 Feb 2019 at 10:18pm
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by Walker Walker wrote:

At 6000 feet by all rights that radiator should be about the thickness of a quarter. Water pressure is pretty heavy duty down there. Which makes me wonder, does water pressure have any affect on something filled with water?

At 6000ft, the ambient pressure will be 182.5 atmospheres... 2680psi.

IF the radiator was filled with gas, it would have been crushed... but several things in play here... first being, that it, and the block, was mostly full of liquid coolant... second, is that the system is inherently vented above a certain differential pressure.  the cap on that tractor was probably good for not much more than 6psi or so, and the cap seal is certainly incapable of  much more than that in any direction.  Second, is that if there was any pressure crushing the upper or lower tanks, it would breach the solder joints in where the tubes meet the tanks FIRST.

Any of those circumstances would allow immediate inflow of seawater, and thus, compress any entrapped gasses, and allow any NOT trapped to escape.

This means the pressure INSIDE, is equalized with OUTSIDE, which means there's NO additional deflection imposed on any part of it.

Same would be true for the gas tank, as it was vented via the cap.

Many of you may have already seen the news...but for those who haven't... marine surveyors operating deep-see exploration equipment were doing forensic examination of the wreckage of the Titanic, to learn more about the techniques of shipbuilding and engineering.

The engineers were amazed that even though the boilers were down 12,500ft for over a hundred years, there was still water in them!!!

LOL
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 11:31pm
[TUBE]IrmJn6Oudos[/TUBE]
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 11:37pm
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 1:14am
Really incredible find! The name tag on the tug must be aluminum, or else it wouldn't be readable. Like others have said, I can't believe how nice it looks! 

After reading Dave's reply, this came to mind...the Titanic and the Hornet have both been underwater for quite some time, yet the Titanic is supposedly getting dissolved fairly quickly by anaerobic bacteria that feed on the iron. Yet the Hornet (and the tug on her deck) are in excellent shape. Granted, the Titanic went down 30 years earlier, but still, the difference in the condition of the two ships is huge. Guess it just depends on which part of the ocean you're in? 
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 1:23am
Probably different alloying of the steel and paint for corrosion resistance.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 8:41am
Temperature is a big factor in deterioration.   The colder it is, the slower the process is.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 11:38am
As commented this is the story that is everywhere. Wink It was reported else where that it rests at 17,500 feet. So less oxygen less rust, but even greater pressure. 

Edited by Ray54 - 16 Feb 2019 at 1:37pm
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 11:55am
I think the tug is sitting in the hanger deck, I doubt that it was tied down, but I'm not an expert. what amazes me is the tires, one would think they would be deflated. Hard to tell, but that doesn't look to be the case
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 12:31pm
Maybe the tires were ballasted to help keep em on a rocking deck (lower center of gravity) or for traction pulling loads on a smooth well swabbed deck?

Edited by chaskaduo - 16 Feb 2019 at 12:32pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 1:49pm
or made of solid rubber? I don't thinks Dave went to the same type country schools as the rest of us!
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 1:52pm
Yeah he definitely has the polymuric valance viscosity of the water ohm down.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 5:46pm
To kind of hijack the post, I was talking to a guy that works for a company that builds mines for mining  companies.  They dig the holes down to the material, set up the lift tower, build buildings etc.  Anyway he told me that once a piece of machinery goes into a salt mine, it never comes back.  One reason is because they have to be dismantled to get them down and they are worn out when they retire them but the other reason is that the machine would rust apart in a short time if it's back on top.  I'm wondering if the salt actually gets into the metal and  causes a change in the metallurgy or something else.  Any chemist's here?
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 6:12pm
I'm wondering if the salt actually gets into the metal and  causes a change in the metallurgy or something else.  Any chemist's here?
[/QUOTE]I don't know but maybe that would explain my old Chevy pickup.Smile
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 6:21pm
That is neat video
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic