This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interesting Take on Electric Cars.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interesting Take on Electric Cars.
    Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 11:19am
Interesting Take on Electric Cars.
This is for Engineers out there, surely there should be a rebuttal to this article. Say it isn't true! As an engineer I love the electric vehicle technology. However, I have been troubled for a longtime by the fact that the electrical energy to keep the batteries charged has to come from the grid and that means more power generation and a huge increase in the distribution infrastructure. Whether generated from coal, gas, oil, wind or sun, installed generation capacity is limited. A friend sent me the following that says it very well. You should all take a look at this short article.
INTERESTING - ONE OTHER QUESTION. IF ELECTRIC CARS DO NOT USE GASOLINE, THEY WILL NOT PARTICIPATE IN PAYING A GASOLINE TAX ON EVERY GALLON THAT IS SOLD FOR AUTOMOBILES, WHICH WAS ENACTED SOME YEARS AGO TO HELP TO MAINTAIN OUR ROADS AND BRIDGES. THEY WILL USE THE ROADS, BUT WILL NOT PAY FOR THEIR MAINTENANCE!
In case you were thinking of buying hybrid or an electric car:
Ever since the advent of electric cars, the REAL cost per mile of those things has never been discussed. All you ever heard was the mpg in terms of gasoline, with nary a mention of the cost of electricity to run it. This is the first article I've ever seen and tells the story pretty much as I expected it to do.
Electricity has to be one of the least efficient ways to power things yet they're being shoved down our throats. Glad somebody finally put engineering and math to paper.
At a neighborhood BBQ I was talking to a neighbor, a BC Hydro executive. I asked him how that renewable thing was doing. He laughed, then got serious. If you really intend to adopt electric vehicles, he pointed out, you had to face certain realities.
For example, a home charging system for a Tesla requires 75 amp service. The average house is equipped with 100 amp service. On our small street (approximately 25 homes), the electrical infrastructure would be unable to carry more than three houses with a single Tesla, each. For even half the homes to have electric vehicles, the system would be wildly over-loaded.
This is the elephant in the room with electric vehicles. Our residential infrastructure cannot bear the load. So as our genius elected officials promote this nonsense, not only are we being urged to buy these things and replace our reliable, cheap generating systems with expensive, new windmills and solar cells, but we will also have to renovate our entire delivery system! This latter "investment" will not be revealed until we're so far down this dead end road that it will be presented with an 'OOPS...!' and a shrug.
If you want to argue with a green person over cars that are eco-friendly, just read the following. Note: If you ARE a green person, read it anyway. It's enlightening.
Eric test drove the Chevy Volt at the invitation of General Motors and he writes, "For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted only 25 miles before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine." Eric calculated the car got 30 mpg including the 25 miles it ran on the battery. So, the range including the 9-gallon gas tank and the 16 kwh battery is approximately 270 miles.
It will take you 4.5 hours to drive 270 miles at 60 mph. Then add 10 hours to charge the battery and you have a total trip time of 14.5 hours. In a typical road trip your average speed (including charging time) would be 20 mph.
According to General Motors, the Volt battery holds 16 kwh of electricity. It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery. The cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned, so I looked up what I pay for electricity. I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16 per kwh. 16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery. $18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles = $0.74 per mile to operate the Volt using the battery. Compare this to a similar size car with a gasoline engine that gets only 32 mpg. $3.19 per gallon divided by 32 mpg = $0.10 per mile.
The gasoline powered car costs about $20,000 while the Volt costs $46,000-plus. So the American Government wants loyal Americans not to do the math, but simply pay three times as much for a car, that costs more than seven times as much to run, and takes three times longer to drive across the country.
My Comment: While America wastes it’s “mental energy” on personal pronoun usage and gender fluidity! God help us!
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Sponsored Links

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 11:27am
Um........well, the cost per kwh appears to be off by a factor of 10.  "ish".  Depending on your state.

Edited by Tbone95 - 11 Mar 2021 at 11:29am
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 11:38am
hmm I pay 25c/KwH, so.... 16 *.25 *10 = $40 to rechage the battery, /25miles = $1.60 per mile to drive it.....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 12:23pm
In Cokes example, the guy had a miss print.. His cost is actually  $.116 per KWH... then he multiplied by 10 hours to get $1.16 ........ so to charge a 16 KWH battery, he multiplied by  x 16 and got $18.50 ............which is about right.... Electricity in Canada is more expensive at $.25 compared to a lot of areas in the US Mid West ( closer to $.12- .15). Thats why JAY got $40. to charge.

what i question is the 25 mile range ?   WHF ???
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 12:27pm
Engineering and changes. As production began in 2017, the base Model 3 was announced to have a 50-kWh battery with a range of about 220 miles (350 km) while the optional 75-kWh battery would have a range of about 310 miles (500 km).
Electric range: 220 miles (354 km) Standard R...
Curb weight: : Standard Range RWD: 3,552 lb ...
Battery: 54 or 62 or 75 kWh (190 or 220 or 270 ...
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

In Cokes example, the guy had a miss print.. His cost is actually  $.116 per KWH... then he multiplied by 10 hours to get $1.16 ........ so to charge a 16 KWH battery, he multiplied by  x 16 and got $18.50 ............which is about right.... Electricity in Canada is more expensive at $.25 compared to a lot of areas in the US Mid West ( closer to $.12- .15). Thats why JAY got $40. to charge.

what i question is the 25 mile range ?   WHF ???
But why multiply by 10?  The example says it "holds 16 kwh of electricity".  And it does say it takes ten hours, but it doesn't say 16kwh for 10 hours.  You're still paying for the 16kwh! 16kwh x .116 = $1.856.  What am I missing?

Edited by Tbone95 - 11 Mar 2021 at 2:02pm
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 2:05pm
C&P:
"According to Solar Reviews, the average cost to fully charge a Tesla Model X is $15.29. The amount is calculated based on a vehicle that uses a 100 kWh battery with an 85% charging efficiency rate. The average household cost of electricity of $0.13 per kWh is used."

100kwh battery, much bigger than the Volt.
$0.13x100 / .85 = $15.29

Factor in the price ratio, and the 85% efficiency, You get $1.86 for the 16kwh for the volt.

Edited by Tbone95 - 11 Mar 2021 at 2:10pm
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 2:55pm
Model X is a wash on $1.50 fuel in some areas. For a low price of $70,000. Now on $4 fuel it’s cheaper to drive and if you drive enough you might justify the extra cost over a gasser to go green. Maybe we’ve identified why fuel is going up with storage full.    

But for $70,000 you could drive a Z51 C8 Corvette be equal cost at $1.50 and go zero to 60 in 2.8 seconds. Personally I would go with the 8 combustion chambers and slam it to the floor sending dollar bills out the tailpipe and leaving the global warming inferno behind at 200 mph.
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by Kansas99 Kansas99 wrote:

Model X is a wash on $1.50 fuel in some areas. For a low price of $70,000. Now on $4 fuel it’s cheaper to drive and if you drive enough you might justify the extra cost over a gasser to go green. Maybe we’ve identified why fuel is going up with storage full.    

But for $70,000 you could drive a Z51 C8 Corvette be equal cost at $1.50 and go zero to 60 in 2.8 seconds. Personally I would go with the 8 combustion chambers and slam it to the floor sending dollar bills out the tailpipe and leaving the global warming inferno behind at 200 mph.
With you all the way.

I don't see myself in an electric car, or HEAVEN FORBID, an electric tractor!Shocked

Just looked it up to prove the math, and that's the example that came up.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 3:44pm
Your right Tbone... my mistake.. I was trying to  figure out why he had $1.16 and 10 hours instead of that actual cost of $.116 per kwh ....

your right, it does not matter how many HOURS it takes to charge. That is a function of how big the charger is.  His battery is 16 KWH so it can take 16 KW for an hour or 1.6 KW for 10 hours.. ............. so your calculation of 16 kwh x $.116 per kwh = $1.86 is correct.. The original  post was off by  x 10.

Kind of changes the CONCLUSION compared to the little gas motor !!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 3:51pm
16 KW is 16000 watts.

Watts are  VOLTS x AMPS... on a 240v charger that would be 67 amps for 1 hour.. He said it took 10 hours to charge... so he could be using a VERY SMALL charger, or the whole story is wrong.
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 4:16pm
So according to Tesla 85% of the charge is usable. Question is does that mean you put back 100% of the kWh every time? If so then it would be less efficient when comparing cost per mile. Cost for a refill would be 1.15 x cost of kWh

Edited by Kansas99 - 11 Mar 2021 at 4:19pm
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 4:40pm
K99, I’m not 100% sure what they mean, but I took it as the losses between what’s metered and what gets put in the battery. So you’d have to pay for 117.6 kWh from the power company to get 100 put in your car. You can’t take energy from point a to point b and / or change it’s form without a loss.

As for the original story, once I read that “electricity is one of the least efficient ways to power something “ (or something like that), I was like really?! Hmmm

Edited by Tbone95 - 11 Mar 2021 at 4:42pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 5:38pm
Tbone, look at it this way, it does take a 'Rectifier' to charge the battery in a Tesla, every evening one will HAVE to plug in that machine for 10 hours.  This explains a Great Deal MORE

80a at 240v from 6-30 hours, 3.7-17.2kw per HOUR at 240v or can or MUST have your service UPRATED to 480v(3Ph) 300a to get a Rapid Charge 140kw in  30 minutes.  I CANNOT get Three Phase here.

so if HAVE to do that AFTER get service uprated to 3ph will be 170kw for 30 days(+/-)
5100kwh CHARGES on your electric bill.
At the LOWEST TIME factor(6hr) at 240v is still 37kwh-172kwh PER NIGHT if takes longer then that ALSO goes UP.  Then there is the heater factor to consider where the battery CANNOT be below freezing to charge and the heater eats 90% of the charging juice.

All again AFTER Uprate House Power Supply which also means NEW Lines to the Distribution system that is already at Max Load.  So where is all these MAGIC(PFM) Megawatts going to come from?  Average HOME bill could very well raise by a factor of FOUR per month.
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 6:35pm
The volt gets 37MPG when in gas mode. On a full charge it went 40 miles.
Around here (Long Island NY) gas today is 2.89 and electricity is $0.21 per KWH.

So the Volt cost 7.8 cents per mile while running on stinking gasoline. When running on clean electric, it costs 9.8 cents per mile. It already costs more to run in electric mode.
Only a few places have low (.11) electric rates, I note that those places also have lower gas prices....
So GM stopped making the Volt, it wasn't selling.  Gm has the magic touch-remember the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix? Same car from same joint GM/Toyota factory.
Toyota sold a ton at a premium, Pontiac struggled to give them away at lowered prices.

Gm now makes the Bolt, which is all-electric. I popped the hood on a Bolt and wow, look at all that stuff. As many parts as a gas car.  On the road, I see 10 Tesla's for every Bolt. So Bolt is looking like a marketing weakling also.

The grid will collapse if we all got electric cars. Massive infrastructure upgrades will be required. Both distribution and generation. We have the NIMBY (not in my back yard)
anti-everything. So expect a fight. Need for a lot of grid enhancements will collide with opposition forces. Will be a mess.

As for electric rates, I can see additional charges added to support the highway infrastructure. Or that and raising registration rates on all vehicles. Hey good idea, a tax increase, a no-brainier, can't pass up a tax increase. For the New Green Deal.

Fusion reactors are still "just around the corner". Yeah, but that is also nuclear, the neutrons will activate and transmute the reactor materials, leaving another radioactive mess. Power plant will have a short working life, 1/3 of a fission nuke at 5x the cost. What a bargain!  And that was our holy grail hope for the future?

I guess our only non-fossil fuel way will be massive affordable grid batteries that can store this solar and wind energy. Just to add to the grand challenge, let's tear down the dams and hydro electric plants. Let the river run free and green and wholesomely feel-good!

I recently saw a chart, the us electric consumption is now 10X what it was in 1940.
And set to double if we go electric cars and electric home heating.

Trillions and trillions to be spent on infrastructure. What stocks to get? Siemens? They have an Allis connection.

Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 8:59pm
Still waiting on my Mr Fusion to be back in stock at the auto parts store.☹️
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 4:35am
Fusion reactors are hindered by a flux action in the plasma
So the brilliant engineers decided it just needed to be larger. That unit is being constructed in the EU and is out of control on price
Tokamak is the style of a fusion reactor, the best they have accomplished is 30 seconds of operating where the output was no better than input energy where some are considering them non viable.
Lockheed Skunk Works is working at one but as usual no information coming from them.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 6:24am
I.....just tended to phrase my response conversationally.  Didn't feel like preaching watching the cow tank fill up.

Edited by Tbone95 - 12 Mar 2021 at 7:17am
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 6:39am
I could  charge a car decently at my house with no upgrade to my electrical.  House is fairly new, very large capacity electrical, 240v circuit readily available in the garage, service down our road very lightly tapped into.  

But, at today's costs, why would I?  Let's say it saves me $25 per "fill up" to an otherwise comparable car.  I fill my car with gas maybe 30 times per year?  So I save $750 per year?  Take 25-30 years to save the same money in gasoline, totally ridiculous, not even close.  

Had a very similar conversation with a coworker back in the 07-08 crunch.  He was going to buy a smart car, or some other such super economy vehicle because he said he couldn't afford to drive his PAID FOR truck to work.  I calculated how he couldn't possibly save enough on gas to make his car payment, though I might have chipped in a few bucks a week just to watch him get in and out of an economy car.

If you need a new vehicle, and saving money on fuel is a consideration for you, sure it saves money.  But you can't pay for a vehicle on fuel savings from another vehicle.  My sister did the same thing, traded in a paid for vehicle on something better on gas, though NOTHING wrong with her current vehicle.  Total money spent goes up, not down.

I'll drive my car until the wheels fall off.  185,5xx this morning.  30 mpg.  Why in the heck would I spend money on something that gets 35mph?  Let alone, $70k for a Tesla or whatever?!  Crazy people!!!

Edited by Tbone95 - 12 Mar 2021 at 6:40am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 7:48am
re: I could  charge a car decently at my house with no upgrade to my electrical.

well, yeah, except for the 'charging station' for the Ecar....$$$$ and of course, up here, THAT has to be done by a licensed electrician AND inspected ($$$$$$). When it's inspected WHOLE HOUSE gets inspected and it must ALL be up to CURRENT code !! Odds are 99.44% of houses don't meet CURRENT code. 'Little' things like ARCfault breakers for every recptacle in every 'bedroom'...$$$$$. Wired together smoke/CO monitors....$$$$$
just the tip of the iceberg ,but NEVER mentioned when going Ecar......
BTW if you don't have a 'fast' Tesla charger ,you can't filly recharge overnight.

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 8:02am
Yes, I would need the charging station.  I consider that a piece of equipment needed, not an upgrade to my house electrical.  Well, I would if I bought a Tesla.  I'm just going by Dave's link, and my house is up to code.  Up there, sucks, still don't know why you stay!  I may not be able to charge my Tesla from dead empty over night, but easily could keep up with my daily range, again, according to the link.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 8:10am
re: Up there, sucks, still don't know why you stay! 

The northern boarder's closed and no passport.......

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 8:35am
Jay... paint your face black, walk with a limp, tell everyone your gay, and learn to speak Spanish.... YOUR IN LIKE FLINT !! Wink
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 2:44am
Who wants to live in Flint?  I heard it has bad water.

LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 10:21am
the OP is rather aged, and has been floating around the 'net for quite some time, in one form or another, and does have some errors, as has been pointed out.

However, on a national basis, reports are, our national grid system is at near capacity. and, while today, we may have many more homes with 240v 200 amp services than when the original article was written, there are still a lot of homes with 100 amp services.  And, instead of major investments in new power plants, we are shutting them down in favor of windmills and solar farms! Even IF, and that is a big IF, the windmills and solar farms proved to by viable, the addition of an electric car in place of 30-40% of the current national fossil fuel fleet would be a backbreaker for the current(no pun intended) grid infrastructure! 'the lights would go out in Georgia', as well as most of the rest of the country.

In addition, the windmills and batteries and solar cells all require extensive mining operations for rare materials, and toxic processing, and create major EOL disposal issues. The net effect is less green, not more green, at least at current technology.

Electric vehicles do have a place, but it is doubtful they will ever be cost effective (in pure dollars, and/or resources) to be considered viable in most cases.

However, what does become abundantly clear from this discussion......all one need do to have a clear understanding of why such questionable green technology is being foisted upon us, by those in Congress and investors, is to examine who is heavily invested in such 'pie in the sky' schemes. Why, it is the very same people passing legislation forcing it upon us, and the very same politicians that are shutting down our current power plants and setting unproductive EPA standards on current vehicles, and forcing gas and oil transportation via rail, rather than much safer and cheaper pipelines, etc !!!! (why do I hear Gomar Pyle in the background...'surprise, surprise, surprise'!)  YES, the very same people who can act on insider trading! The very same people who can actively pass legislation that could/would have a major effect on their very own investments.

and, of course, the more direct route of siphoning our tax dollars to political friends and family. does anyone remember the solar cell company Obama granted $millions to, and two years later it all evaporated, grant money gone, borrowed money gone, and company bankrupt.....and nothing to show for it!

Edited by LouSWPA - 13 Mar 2021 at 10:28am
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 12:02pm
Well, all you GM fans, get used to it, or buy something in the next 12-14 years, because they are serious about complete electric line up by 2035. Got a friend that’s a supervisor at GM Powertrain, I asked if they’re really serious and plan to pull it off. As of now, that’s the plan, things can change but they’re totally committed at this point. The Powertrain plant is wondering if they’ll get new investment and a piece of the action or if they’ll be shuttered.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Well, all you GM fans, get used to it, or buy something in the next 12-14 years, because they are serious about complete electric line up by 2035. Got a friend that’s a supervisor at GM Powertrain, I asked if they’re really serious and plan to pull it off. As of now, that’s the plan, things can change but they’re totally committed at this point. The Powertrain plant is wondering if they’ll get new investment and a piece of the action or if they’ll be shuttered.
To which a quote from the OP comes to mind:
"This latter "investment" will not be revealed until we're so far down this dead end road that it will be presented with an 'OOPS...!' and a shrug."

I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 12:15pm
Yep.

I tend to think, or believe, or something, that that statement of their mission is to cater to public opinion. If they were to say at this point “no way in hell can we do that by then”, it would look bad. But in 8-10 years if they make the announcement that “hey, we’re trying, but the infrastructure just isn’t there”, it will look ok for them.

Edited by Tbone95 - 13 Mar 2021 at 12:15pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 12:20pm
re: GM..... As of now, that’s the plan, things can change but they’re totally committed at this point.

They have NOTHING to lose.....
The CEO and other '3letter' types will personally make millions and of course ..
When the E-car biz fails, the taxpayers will, once again, BAIL OUT GM.....

best to buy 'futures' in aluminum (grid wire)... as the 'GRID' has to be much improved to power the chargers to repower the batteries..

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 12:38pm
I remember when GM said " by xxx date, everything will be METRIC in our operation"...  xxx years later they were WAY BEHIND.. So they made their METRIC BOLTS 6.3 mm ...... ( which was 1/4 inch )....Big smile   LOL   LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic