This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ignition switch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ignition switch
    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 10:48pm
1993 357 Pete
Somebody lost the key,
can we swap the ‘tumbler’ from another Pete of the same vintage that we have the key. The truck with the key is more than likely permanent out of service.
What special tools needed to remove the ‘tumbler’?
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Sponsored Links

truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 11:01pm
Just change the whole switch. Unplug the harness behind the dash and unscrew the nut from the front. If same vintage, more than likely the same switch. Actually an new switch is probably not that expensive compared to the hassle of trying to get the switch apart. Generally they are not serviceable. They are like a lawnmower switch, just bigger.

Edited by truckerfarmer - 23 Nov 2020 at 11:02pm
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 11:21pm
The way it looks, the harness does not unplug. It’s all screw terminals. Was hoping to avoid the total replacement. The truck has sat for 5 +/- years, nobody that works here now, was working here when the truck ran, so nobody knows why it’s not being used. Just want see if it will start, to try and determine the issue.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 1:34am
put a toggle switch in in it's place. really 2 of them, one for on/off and another rocker for starting
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 5:34am
If you just want to start it to check it out, along the lines of what Shameless said, a couple jumper wires should get a 1993 going.  Power to energize a fuel solenoid and one to operate the starter should start it and let the engine run.
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 6:40am
Ahh, I see.
I'm thinking that is the right age to have a push button start. Is that one that still has all the wires colored white with tags on the end? Just another thing on the list of why I don't like Petes.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 7:15am
Yes, there is a push button on the left side of the column, key on the right side.
Not sure on all the wire colors. Didn’t fully pull that section of the instrument panel, just took a quick peek.
First need to find 3 batteries with the old fashioned terminal post’s, the kicker, owner does not want to spend any $$$ to find out what maybe wrong with the truck.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 7:52am

Hey Lars,,,that right there sounds like a heck of a DEAL for an enterprising young man,,,,I'd offer the boss a "reasonable" amount,,,like,,I'll drag it off the yard trying to help clean up the yard,,,,And,,,,,you can send me the title later,,,,,,WinkWink
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 1:49pm
To change tumbler need the key to align the slots.  No Key no tumbler swap.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Hey Lars,,,that right there sounds like a heck of a DEAL for an enterprising young man,,,,I'd offer the boss a "reasonable" amount,,,like,,I'll drag it off the yard trying to help clean up the yard,,,,And,,,,,you can send me the title later,,,,,,
alt="Wink" title="Wink" />Wink

Joe, been thinking kinda along those lines, but not this particular truck. The owner has a batch of 20 or so trucks at another yard that are in the same general condition. A bunch of trucks that are out of service, but it’s been so long, maintenance records are lost, and memories have faded as what the issue was for any particular truck.
He wants to sell the whole batch as a group. A mix of Pete’s, KW’s, and Freightliners. The tank bodies will be removed, and selling the chassis.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 4:16pm
selling 20 at a lot would make it go faster... IF you find a BUYER.... Selling 1-2 at a time would take longer, but probably make more money in the end... but more problems.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic