This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

If I had a choice of models...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeinMadisonCo. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: If I had a choice of models...
    Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 11:20am
which A-C would I get if I wanted a small to medium sized tractor with FWA?  I have buried the D-17 IV again today moving hay and I'm getting tired of having to get help to get unstuck.  It would be nice if it were big enough to pick up a bale front and back.  Thanks again folks!
If the horse dies....get off!
Sponsored Links

michaelwis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 11:22am
6060 or 6080,s are sweet
WD WD45 DIESEL D 14 D-15 SERIES 2 190XT TERRA TIGER ac allcrop 60   GLEANER F 6060 7040.and attachments for all Proud to be an active farmer
firebrick43 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firebrick43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 12:08pm
If you want to pickup a bale front and back you need a large tractor.  Otherwise you are liable to break the tractor in half.  Seen it done several times on mid sized tractors, and I imagine its not fun for the driver one bit.  Bigger tractors tend to be cheaper for this type of work as well as the front ends are meant for the weight and don't need to be rebuilt as often when you don't get carried away with what you are trying to lift.  Just because you have the hp/hydraulics to lift something doesn't mean you should
MikeinMadisonCo. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeinMadisonCo. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 6:39pm
So Firebrick are you saying I should not be lifting bales at both ends with this D-17?
bigfish_Oh View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigfish_Oh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 7:11pm
I thought you asking about models.....
1941 WC sat for 29 years,started & dynoed 27 h.p.
1957 WD45 Grandpa bought new,factory p.s.,added wfe
1951 WD, factory p.s.
1960 D14 HnMk IV BkHoe 4 sale
2014 HD Tri Glide
2009 GMC CC SLT Dually
MikeinMadisonCo. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeinMadisonCo. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 8:29pm
Well I was wondering about different models but now I'm nervous about using my 17 to pick up two bales at a time...
Matt (NEIA) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt (NEIA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 9:32pm
Well depending on how heavy of bales you are picking up, are we talking about 4X5 500 pounders or 6X6 1800 pounders?  either way i'd still say that picking up a bale on the front and rear of your D17 is probably a bad idea i'd hate to hit a good sized fox hole that would probably break some stuff for sure.  Instead of you spending 15,000 plus for a front wheel assist allis what about just buying a round bale transport carrier and sticking with your D17?  just my 2 cents :)
1955 WD-45 with factory PS
redline View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 10:32pm
If money were no object, I would opt for one of the 220 FWA tractors. Sure they are scarce, they are valuable, and you would have a hard time getting a current owner to let it go, but we are wishing here, right?  I think an 8010 FWA would make a handy all around hay/chore tractor. The 6070/6080 tractors are dang nice, too. If you can get by with just something big and burly, only in a 2WD-take a look at the 7050s. They are cheap for the horsepower and hydraulic power. I have a soft spot for the 7050s though.....
If you are in the right place at the right time a 9130/9150 tractor would be a rugged choice too. Just never, ever forget that the underdrive position on the 3 speed is free wheeling and gives no engine braking.

Edited by redline - 29 Aug 2010 at 10:35pm
If it weren't for the last minute, I wouldn't get anything done!
scott View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 11:41pm
This 20 HP Case handles two 750 lb bales no sweat. Your D-17 should have no probs. Forks and a spear man!
firebrick43 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firebrick43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 9:03am
One of the tractors I have seen broke in half was a 170 (seen other brands to) at dale haymakers.  I have seen enough to question it and decide that its not a good idea even if the tractor can actually lift them.  As Matt mention, bale size affects this and of course operator discretion.  Most bale yards I have seen get pretty tore up in the winter and when frozen solid put a lot of stress driving over the rough ridges/valleys.  Same goes for collecting hay out of the field.  Fox and ground hog holes can appear regularly.

I imagine there are those out there that have done it forever without problem.  Make your own decision.   
Nathan (SD) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan (SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 9:16am

FWA is feature that helps your traction when you have a load on the front and none on the back. If you have plenty of rear weight (bale) traction should not be a issue. If your front end is sinking in, Bigger front tires will help some. If you are driving through slippery lots then FWA is probably your best choice.

I worked for a guy that had a FWA and a 2wd with loaders. Out in the hay field I preferred the 2wd. The visibility was alot better and was alot more maneuverable. Anything that involved the cowyard was automatically a job for the FWA.

I don't know if I have ever heard of D17 fronts having much front end trouble from loader weight. Usually the rims and the power steering are your first trouble spots.

As far as breaking a tractor in half. Any time I have heard those stories they either involved too much speed or a gooseneck hooked on the arms.
Dave in il View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in il Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 9:38am
If front wheel assist is your goal a 6060 or 6080 would be great, if you just need bigger tires and more hp (and want another orange tractor) then I would start looking at 190's, XT's, 200's or any 7000 series, I would suggest at least 38" rear tires in good shape. A 7000, 7010 or 7020 with a loader would be nice. Though on the 7030 and bigger ones, a good heavy duty loader is worth as much as, or more than the tractor.

A guy I worked for had me feeding big round bales with a brand new 7060 during a very muddy spring, (only a 3pt spear, no loader) and it worked good. That is until I backed up to get a bale out of a row next to the pole barn. They put them there in the summer with the 4020 and I forgot about the long axles on that 7060... ended up having to put up a couple new sheets of tin! LOL!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic