This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I40 Backhoe- Leaks Down

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easygoin4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I40 Backhoe- Leaks Down
    Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 6:21am
I have an I40 loader/backhoe and was wondering what causes the boom to sag down or drop after few minutes.  The bucket and arm slowly lossen up after some time.  I know this is not a new machine and know nothing about hydraulics.  The front loader will stay up for ever.  When I got her I had to replace the seals in the boom cylinder it leaked so bad- and that it fine now. 
I was wondering if it could be the levers on the hoe - or that whole valve body thing with the levers that needs redone.
I am sure the seals or rings are not available so I would have to research to find a match.  Was thinking of taking it apart for the winter- but not sure what I will get into.
Any advice?

Thanks
Sponsored Links

Ron S/IL View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron S/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 6:27am
I would say that the valve body is worn to the point of leaving the oil bypass. I think you could rebuild or have rebuilt. You said you replaced the seals in the cylinder, did you replace the internal seals. It could also be bypassing there. Good luck.
Ron Stork
Co-Owner Sign Solutions and Promotions.
We can custom make signs, decals and any promotional items you may want.
easygoin4 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easygoin4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 6:34am
I had the whole cylinder apart- what a learning experience. From what I remember I did  piston seals I think you call it, and all the o-rings that were inside.  Wanted to do them all so it would last.  Seems to have worked- when I got her it poured fluid out near the cyl. rod and now it does not.
I have no leaks on any lines or drips anywhere on this unit.
I am just hoping if I take it apart- I will solve the problem. I do have all the manuals for this unit so that will help on assembly.

Thanks for the input..
easygoin4 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easygoin4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 6:37am
Does anyone have an idea what it would cost about to send the whole thing for rebuild?   It has 2 shorter levers and 4 larger ones.  I am not afraid to do it- but if the price is fair- I would send it out.  Just did not know if it would be hundreds of dollars or not.
Thanks
Ron S/IL View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron S/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 10:26am
I know a mechanic that does that I will ask him about this and let you know. Ron
Ron Stork
Co-Owner Sign Solutions and Promotions.
We can custom make signs, decals and any promotional items you may want.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 5:11pm
I would say re-do the piston seals and be sure they are good as is the bore , also there is a "0" ring under the piston to seal it to the rod.  Check it out by raising the hoe and then removing the hose on the other end of the cylinder , (non pressure side)  check it for oil coming ferom pressure side leaking down.
 Unsure if it has "V" ring packing or square rings / also if backup ring on piston are not on right side they sometimes leak. Piston leak is probably the cause if it dro[ps fast..
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
pineyjd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pineyjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2010 at 1:38am
My I40 leaks thru control slightly,this lets the boom drop. I rebuilt hyd eqiup back in 60's in factory equip. & it was'nt complicated.

Do you have chains to hold boom up when not using or do you leave boom out/down ?
easygoin4 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easygoin4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 7:00am
Yes I do have HD chains.  I think I may get into the whole valve or lever assembly this winter.  She leaks down probably in about 20-30 min. from full up to the ground.
However the loader will stay up for days..
Thanks for the advice..

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 7:03am
If that is the only valve leaking down, I would check the cylinder closer. Had one hoe where packings were backwards and it leaked down fast.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
easygoin4 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easygoin4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 7:13am
Actually outriggers leak down also pretty fast- constantly having to adjust them up.
And I know the bucket does drop too.
That is what lead me to believe the whole vavle assembly needed to be redone.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 7:30am
When I resealed the valve body on my HD4 I just bought the "O" rings instead of the kit, got them through MINNPAR and was cheap way to solve loader problem of dropping.
 As they were a standard size , you could just pull one and match it
easygoin4 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easygoin4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 7:34am
Exactly what I was thinking.  Sounds easy just hope it will be.
I think the biggest problem may be getting the unit off.
Thanks

pbqc3803 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pbqc3803 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 12:57am
Chris,
Did you get your valves fixed? Did this help or was it the seals on the cylinders?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic