This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I need some assistance,,,,,,

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I need some assistance,,,,,,
    Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 8:48am

Guys and Gals,,,,,as some of you may remember, I bought a nice 1982 Chevy Silverado C10 some time back, and after installing a new engine, got it running fine,,,but now I am fighting various issues with the electrical on the trk. The PO had given the trk to his 15 year old Son that fancied himself a horn and lights fanatic Expert as he had installed a total of 5 horns and extra lights as well. He didn't just use the same 12 volt source, he cut into various wires and some he even cut in two !! The under hood and the under dash wiring is a friggin mess!!!  The instrument cluster is AFU due to all the BS he done to tickle his fancy.
 I got a new instrumrnt cluster AND circuit board as there were some of his "Mods" there also, but issues still there. Only'ist thing left NOW, I'm gonna have to replace the whole wiring harness under the hood AND the harness under the dash to start from scratch, else,,I ain't ever gonna get there from here.
 I got the latest LMC catalog but what they sell is a generic harness that YOU have to install the appropriate clips on ends but chit some of the clips on the trk were cutt off already,,!! Friggin kid,,!!
 Does anybody here got one of these they might wanna sell,,??Clap
Sponsored Links

tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 2:03pm
What the guy name in New Jersey that makes wire harness? You might check with him
GARY1967 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY1967 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 2:27pm
Hello, I’ve have not used this company before, but see hot Rodders and custom builders use painless wiring. Painlessperformance.com

john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 9:06pm
Hey Joe,  I just saw an 84 chevy pickup on GSA Auctions and was wondering if something like that would use the same wire harness.  A pickup might be easier to locate than a suburban!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2020 at 10:20pm
well when you gits it all figgered out, come and re-do all the wiring under the hood of my '98 Chevy...the squirrels ate most all of it. the pluds are a;ll still there, just the wiring gone!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 9:00am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

well when you gits it all figgered out, come and re-do all the wiring under the hood of my '98 Chevy...the squirrels ate most all of it. the pluds are a;ll still there, just the wiring gone!

Hey John(MI),,according to the GM Cross book,, the wiring schematics changed in late 1983, so the 1984 would not work. Thanks anyway.

Hey Shameless,,,I CAN re-wire yours if you do not want all the "extra" chit that GM puts in there,,!! Fact is,,,I'm gettin close to just ripping out everything  and start from scratch with just the bare necessities like lights, turn signals, ignition, charging system, radio and heater. You don't "need" anything else for it to run.
 After checking out several vendors, there ain't nobody that sells an in kind harness except for maybe GM. All of them are generic and all suggest that you confer with a qualified technician and I ain't ready to spend $900 just yet.
 I'm gonna send ole Steve in NJ a PM see what he's got,,,,,
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Hey John(MI),,according to the GM Cross book,, the wiring schematics changed in late 1983, so the 1984 would not work. Thanks anyway.

Hey Shameless,,,I CAN re-wire yours if you do not want all the "extra" chit that GM puts in there,,!! Fact is,,,I'm gettin close to just ripping out everything  and start from scratch with just the bare necessities like lights, turn signals, ignition, charging system, radio and heater. You don't "need" anything else for it to run.
 After checking out several vendors, there ain't nobody that sells an in kind harness except for maybe GM. All of them are generic and all suggest that you confer with a qualified technician and I ain't ready to spend $900 just yet.
 I'm gonna send ole Steve in NJ a PM see what he's got,,,,,

Yes I believe 84 would be TBI
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 8:29pm

Yeah,,Thad that's right,,,,BUT,,,,BUT,,,I "may" of finally figured this sob out,,,!!  I had removed the whole fuse box that's inside the cab,,PLUS the fuse box section that's in the engine compartment cause nothing made sense when trying to trace wires out. It a good thing as two of the flat pins between the two fuse box halves had bent and not making contact between the two. Now,,as I said I'm tryin to follow behind a 15 year old curtain climber that ain't got a friggin Idea how 12 VDC current works and now I KNOW that he took the two fuse box halves apart but have no friggin idea WITF he did so,,,!!! I cleaned everything up and started tracing again,,then I see where the wiring harness going to the REAR lights,  flashers and stop lights had also been tampered with,,,SO,,I stop and climb under the rear bumper and LO and BEHOLD the friggin kid had been there as well. Now,,ya'll ain't agonna believe this but that idiot had actually jumped the right and the left turn signal wires TOGETHER then tied em to a 5 wire trailer connector,,,,??? I have no friggin idea what he was thinkin but should I ever meet up with him,,,I'm gonna introduce his sorry azz to my new soldering gun,,,,DANG,,,but has he cost me untold number of wasted hours and much sleep as well!!!
 Anyway,,I cut all his chit out and ran some new factory color wires and soldered them in and then heat taped em up for a nice lookin application,,,,,Clap
  Since I had all the fuse box tore out and hanging in the cab and engine compartment, I  had to wait to get all them wires lashed up and wire tied up  and,,,,and,,,I breathlessly,,,,hit the key,,,,and ,,,,I'll Be A SOB,,,,IT WORKS,,!!! ALL the lights work like they susspossed to including the Instrument Cluster which had been AFU as well!!!!  CHIT,,I am plumb overjoyed that it finally come together,,,and the gauges all work as well. Me thinks,,I'll be able to get some sleep tonite,,,,ClapClap
 Lookin like tamarrow, I'll just need to re-assemble the front parking and signal lights in engine compartment,, do a final check up,,,give the trk a good wash and park it out by the hiway with a bright FOR SALE sign in the window.  NOW for OLE RED,,,,,ClapClap
 Many Thanks for all the help and ideas,,,,,ClapClap I'ma gonna break out the Black Label bout noon if ya'll wantin any,,,,,,WinkWink
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 8:34pm
Make it like an Allis B.......... hot wire to key - solenoid - starter... One off the alternator .... wire to head lights and tail lights.. FORGET The rest !! Wink

Joe, im still wondering if you cant keep the harness you got and just splice in a foot or so of new wire where needed.. If the plug is gone, forget it... just crimp a new jumper from one wire to the other end. ????????
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 8:37pm
Well.............. i guess i am about 5 minutes late !!!!  But thats the way to go.. Save what you can and replace what is needed !! 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2020 at 8:38pm
give the trk a good wash and park it out by the hiway with a bright FOR SALE sign in the window.

How many do you fix and sell per year ?? on average ?
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 12:01am
i spose the amp guage shows 3/4 tank of gas huh? 
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 2:28am

i spose the amp guage shows 3/4 tank of gas huh? 

Shameless,,,!!!  you're gonna make me have a friggin orgasm laughing so much,,,,,,LOLLOL
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2020 at 8:37pm

Well,,I KNOW ya'll been awaitin for an update on the Black Beauty Silverado and,,,,and,,I GOT ONE,,,,ClapClap
  As last revealed,,,Wink,,I finally had got the wiring issues figured out and repaired,,EXCEPT for the fuel gauge,,I finally dropped the gas tank cause nuttin made sense and after tryin 4 different fuel gauges I figured it HAD to be the sender unit. After removing the sender I tested it right on the gauge and no signal,,,s,,,o,,,a,,,b,,,!!  Well,the new sender came in this Am and I jury rigged some wires  to test it outside the tank and,,,and,,it worked just like new,,!! Installed it in tank and got tank ready to raise into position for tamarrow, put some gas in it and go for a spin round the "hood",,,,Wink Far as i can remember,,lash everything up on the dash,,give the trk a quickie wash and slap a FOR SALE  sign on it and breathe a much deserved sigh of relief,,,,  I'm OK,Now,,,,,Clap
 I'd really like to see IF it will boil the hides just once, just halfway down the block,,,tho,,,,,LOL

Edited by desertjoe - 05 Dec 2020 at 8:46pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 8:33am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Well,,I KNOW ya'll been awaitin for an update on the Black Beauty Silverado and,,,,and,,I GOT ONE,,,,ClapClap
  As last revealed,,,Wink,,I finally had got the wiring issues figured out and repaired,,EXCEPT for the fuel gauge,,I finally dropped the gas tank cause nuttin made sense and after tryin 4 different fuel gauges I figured it HAD to be the sender unit. After removing the sender I tested it right on the gauge and no signal,,,s,,,o,,,a,,,b,,,!!  Well,the new sender came in this Am and I jury rigged some wires  to test it outside the tank and,,,and,,it worked just like new,,!! Installed it in tank and got tank ready to raise into position for tamarrow, put some gas in it and go for a spin round the "hood",,,,Wink Far as i can remember,,lash everything up on the dash,,give the trk a quickie wash and slap a FOR SALE  sign on it and breathe a much deserved sigh of relief,,,,  I'm OK,Now,,,,,Clap
 I'd really like to see IF it will boil the hides just once, just halfway down the block,,,tho,,,,,LOL

guarantee if I did all that work to Black beauty I’d get to know If it will boil the ole hides.👍👍👍😂
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 9:44am
joe............ are you SURE you are 74 years old ???  Seems like you get WAY TOO MUCH DONE !   Congrats !
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 8:11pm

Yeah,,Steve,,I am 74,,and sometimes I feel it in the mornings,,,LOL I've always been very active,,Clap My 5 boys always asking me when I'm gonna slow down and enjoy life,,,My response,,,"I AM ENJOYIN LIFE,,MY WAY!!",,,Ya know,,?? When I went for my yearly check up with my Cardiologist  in June, they did a new fangled "stress Test" while I was layin down and that dude told me that my heart pumping rate had gone UP by 5%,,,and,,,my blood pressure was right in the ball park,,,,,so Chit,,I'm gonna take advantage of that,,,Huh,,,?? No potato couchin for this guy,,,,,Wink
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 6:59am
But did ya get them hides boiled??
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 8:01am

Naw,,Thad,,I did not,,,our latest 5 year old Grandson was over this weekend,,and he expects "Grandpa" to be available to keep him occupied ,,,,Sheeeesh,,,that boy gots SOoooo much energy,,,,  He wanted to play on this little Parlor Stove I had in the cawnor,,so we replaced one of the walls that had some holes and got it all patched up and that thing puts out some glorious heat,,,it does,,!!  Thinkin I'm gonna go get some stove pipe and set that little bugger up  in my work area,,,,no sense lettin it set,,,,,WinkWink
 BUT,,I still want to spin them caisons just a little,,,,LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic