This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I inherited a WD-45

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovlovwd45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I inherited a WD-45
    Posted: 16 May 2021 at 10:36am
Sadly, I recently inherited my dads WD-45.  My dad inherited it from his dad.  My dad and I had been slowly working together to get it up and running again.  I now regret that things were progressing so slowly. 

Part of the slowness was trying to figure out what carburetor was supposed to be on it. Steiner tractor parts helped us figure that out. The Zenith carb mounted on it had cracks in multiple areas and was leaking fuel.  That's why it got parked in the first place.  

I know my dad believed the gas tank needed to be cleaned out.  The tractor had been stored inside so it really didn't look that crusty in the tank to me.  I did decide to clean it out and apply fuel tank liner to it just in case.  

I have verified the engine will turn over.  There is power to the starter.  I have not made any attempt to start it yet.  It's going to get an oil change before I get that far.   If I get it running and moving it's going to get a new wiring harness shortly after that.  It looks like a really simply wiring harness to replicate.  

It obviously needs to get hit with a pressure washer.  I know it's going to need new tires.  We're getting it running so we could use it.  There was no intention to do a full restoration.  

I'll need to figure out how to operate it since I was never shown.  

Maybe this was meant to be since I'm not a stranger to orange machines. 

Sponsored Links

WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 1:27pm
My advice would be to buy an owners manual for it. Is it a WD or WD45 (the decal says WD) ? If it has a straight shift lever it is a WD, although late 53 WD had the curved shifter.

There are various ways to clean the fuel tank. Starting with a pressure washer is usually good. After that, you need to decide if you are going to clean it mechanically or chemically. After you get it clean, you should coat it with a coating made for a fuel tank. I have used a kit from Eastwood with good success.
Driverdan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Driverdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 2:54pm
Sorry to hear your father has passed. I am sure you would have enjoyed resurecting the Allis with him. I have both the WD45's my father bought in the 1950's, but I had the advantage of operating them, and working on them for 60 years. Good luck on your project!
ovlovwd45 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovlovwd45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 10:31am
Originally posted by WF owner WF owner wrote:

My advice would be to buy an owners manual for it. Is it a WD or WD45 (the decal says WD) ? If it has a straight shift lever it is a WD, although late 53 WD had the curved shifter.

There are various ways to clean the fuel tank. Starting with a pressure washer is usually good. After that, you need to decide if you are going to clean it mechanically or chemically. After you get it clean, you should coat it with a coating made for a fuel tank. I have used a kit from Eastwood with good success.
It has a straight shfiter, so it is a WD.  Thanks for the correction.  I don't know why I always thought it was a WD-45.  

I have a stack of manuals for it and the implements.  I'm guessing the implements all need TLC since my dad wasn't good at maintaining things.  

I cleaned the tank chemically and then applied red-kote fuel tank liner to the inside.  I'm not sure I really needed to apply the liner.  There was a fine layer of dust inside the tank but I didn't see much corrosion.  The tank was at least stored dry with everything sealed up.  
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 11:24am
WD's (and many other AC models) came with either a Zenith or Marvel-Schebler carburetor. If yours is no good, used replacements are easy to find.

Does your WD have a magneto or distributor?  Either one should be easy to find (or make) a wiring harness for. If you are thinking of converting it to 12 volt, I would do that before buying a wire harness. 

Steve Barbato (Home (bb-customcircuits.com) ) is a member here. He has a lot of good information in his website. Steve is the go-to guy for anything electrical for an AC tractor.
ovlovwd45 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovlovwd45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 7:29pm
I got to the point I could try start the WD.  The starter would only turn the motor intermittently and didn't sound happy about doing so.  I decided to replace the starter switch.  This did seem to initially resolve the issue (cranked over normally) but then the starter started smoking and the battery cable got hot.  Now it's back intermittent operation.  

It looks like the tractor wired to be negative ground at some point.  I sanded all of those connections.  I guess I just need to replace all the wiring at this point so I'm not guessing. 

As far as I can tell, there's also no spark.  

The new Marvel carburetor I got from Steiner appeared to leak gas out of the intake as soon as it was hooked up.  I assume this is not normal?  
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 9:51pm
ovlovwd45,
 Welcome to the Forum! Sorry your Dad is not there with you. He would be proud your continuing on with the WD. I grew up on them as a kid on the farm. The operator not the mechanic. Heck we just put oil and gas in them and took them out and worked them. 
If I can help let me know. 
I brought home my Dad and Mom's WD that looked about like that too. 
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
LionelinKY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LionelinKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 12:01am
Leaking gas out of the carb air intake tube is a classic sign that the float in the carb is either set incorrectly or stuck in the open position. Being that it is new, I would hope that maybe it is just a little gummed up from sitting around before you bought it. Some fresh gas through it ought to take care of that. If it continues to leak after a while, then you will need to pull it back off to take apart and reset the float. 
Go easy on the starter. Short bursts only with a few minutes rest in between or they will heat up quite quickly as you have discovered. Once hot, they will crank much slower plus you risk doing irreparable damage and will then have to get it rebuilt too.
Good Luck!
"My name is Lionel and I'm an Allisoholic"
Aaron123 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 6:24am
The little bracket that the pin goes through for the float was not straight on my wd45 I probably had it apart 18 times polishing the valve seat and trying different things befor I figured out that that bracket needed to be straighten out. It is riveted on and I took the valve seat out to get it out of the way and took a flat head screw driver put it up against it and take the handle of another screw driver like a hammer and hit the handles together to straighten it out after I did that everything sealed up nicely no more gas coming out intake
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 6:40am
The popular Carburetor that came on the WD,WC & WF 201 engine was the 9707 series Zenith. The popular Carburetor that came on the WD45 was the Marvel Schebler TSX464. 
Easy way to ID the WD 201 engine is the plate on the side of the engine. The 226 engine didn't have the plate.

If you need a wiring system, we can help ya out with a 6V system. Thanks Curt for the referral. Our systems come in kit form. If interested check out our website. Sorry to hear bout' yer' Dad. Best part of this is you got a family aireloom. Grandad, Dad, and now you. I think that's great!  Good luck! You'll get the ole' girl running again. There's lottsa' help & support here on the forum!
Steve@B&B
bb-customcircuits.com
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
ovlovwd45 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovlovwd45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 10:43am
Originally posted by Steve in NJ Steve in NJ wrote:

The popular Carburetor that came on the WD,WC & WF 201 engine was the 9707 series Zenith. The popular Carburetor that came on the WD45 was the Marvel Schebler TSX464. 
Easy way to ID the WD 201 engine is the plate on the side of the engine. The 226 engine didn't have the plate.

If you need a wiring system, we can help ya out with a 6V system. Thanks Curt for the referral. Our systems come in kit form. If interested check out our website. Sorry to hear bout' yer' Dad. Best part of this is you got a family aireloom. Grandad, Dad, and now you. I think that's great!  Good luck! You'll get the ole' girl running again. There's lottsa' help & support here on the forum!
Steve@B&B
bb-customcircuits.com

Looking at old e-mails between my dad and Steiner, they came up with Marvel TSX464 as the replacement.  My dad was incorrectly referring to the tractor as a WD-45 in the e-mails, but is it possible the WD had its engine swapped at some point?  I don't know why he thought it was a WD-45.

Steiner also chose the TSX464 based on the photos they were sent of the Zenith carburetor that was on it.  I was not able to rebuild the Zenith.  Strangely, I actually do have some experience successfully rebuilding Zenith carbs since I have some other antique equipment running them.   The Zenith carb that came off the WD just had too much damaged metal.  It's no wonder it leaked fuel. 
ovlovwd45 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovlovwd45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 10:55am
Originally posted by LionelinKY LionelinKY wrote:

Leaking gas out of the carb air intake tube is a classic sign that the float in the carb is either set incorrectly or stuck in the open position. Being that it is new, I would hope that maybe it is just a little gummed up from sitting around before you bought it. Some fresh gas through it ought to take care of that. If it continues to leak after a while, then you will need to pull it back off to take apart and reset the float. 
Go easy on the starter. Short bursts only with a few minutes rest in between or they will heat up quite quickly as you have discovered. Once hot, they will crank much slower plus you risk doing irreparable damage and will then have to get it rebuilt too.
Good Luck!
I'm hoping I haven't done damage to the starter already.   It's possible I have.  

I also suspect the much of the wiring is damaged and corroded.  That I came along and started probing the brittle wiring with a DMM probably hasn't helped my cause.  

I have more than enough wiring to rebuild the harness the way it's put together right now.  My dad actually worked in the electronics/radio/TV repair business most of his professional life, so I'm going to assume he knew what he was doing when he rewired it.  
ovlovwd45 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovlovwd45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 8:28pm
I removed the starter and bench tested it.  Seems that it spins but doesn't spring forward to engage the flywheel.  I can manually move the little gear forward with my fingers but that's it.  I ended up buying a used one on ebay for the time being. 

I replaced 99.9% of the tractors wiring.  

Now just waiting on parts to arrive. 
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 8:51pm
If you have no spark, i would guess the POINT contacts have some contamination on them. You didnt say if it was a MAG or had a distributor and coil. Normally getting to the POINT and running something over the contact faces will wipe the corrosion off.. VERY fine sand paper, or even a dollar bill can work... sometimes.

You can also help the starter cranking by using 12 volts if you want to.. The starter does not know the difference, just spins faster ... if you do, dont have the 6 v and 12v batteries connected at the same time.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
ovlovwd45 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovlovwd45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

If you have no spark, i would guess the POINT contacts have some contamination on them. You didnt say if it was a MAG or had a distributor and coil. Normally getting to the POINT and running something over the contact faces will wipe the corrosion off.. VERY fine sand paper, or even a dollar bill can work... sometimes.

You can also help the starter cranking by using 12 volts if you want to.. The starter does not know the difference, just spins faster ... if you do, dont have the 6 v and 12v batteries connected at the same time.

It has a distributor and coil.  It looks like it was wired so the switch in the control box could turn the ignition system on/off.  
ovlovwd45 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovlovwd45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 9:49pm
The used starter I purchased never arrived.  eBay refunded me the total cost.

I bought a starter rebuild kit online instead.  I have each individual part of it assembled.  I'm almost ready to do the final assembly of it.  

It's put up a fight every step of the way.  The field coil screws wouldn't budge even with an impact tool and heat.  I ended up welding misc. hardware to them and then zipping them off with the impact wrench.  

The brass? bushings didn't want to come out.  I had to use a hobby saw to cut them and then hammered them out with a chisel.  
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 6:13am
Disassembly on these old tractors can be a challenge. Remember that the last WD's were built in 1953 which makes it at least 68 years old.

it sounds like you are making progress. Good luck !
ovlovwd45 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovlovwd45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 2:27pm
I got the starter all back together.  I tested it out before installing it and of course it does not spin at all.  I'm not sure what I did wrong.  
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 5:53am
ovlovwd45,
Pk you are now the starter expert almost. I would not take one and doo a rebuild but I would take it to a starter shop and have a good core rebuilt. Your issue maybe in your rebuild? or something as simple as a bad ground. There are a lot of good used starters out there. I am wishing you the best. You dad is keeping a eye on you. Make him proud! The old WD will run I just know it!
 Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
ovlovwd45 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovlovwd45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 12:37pm
I don't of anybody that rebuilds them. I called one place that occasionally has old tractors in their shop and even they didn't know anyone who rebuilds them.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 5:01pm
It seems like there must be a starter shop in your area. 

I have a local guy that does all my generator/starter work. He is not inexpensive, but he uses quality parts, does excellent work and gets it back to me quickly.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 5:26pm
Down State...

Up by Chit-cago...

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 6:35am
I've been rebuilding starters for 50 years. If you're interested, you can send it here, and I'll rebuild the unit for you. If you leave it on 6V, I'll put one of our rewound arms in it and it'll spin over great on 6V. The rewound arm improves the torque output of the unit providing everything else in the system is in tip top shape.  

As I mentioned earlier, the 201 WD engine has the plate on the side of the engine. If it has a plate, its the 201 engine. If there is no plate, then the Tractor might have had a WD45 engine installed in it sometime in its life. The 226 version takes the TSX-464 Carburetor. Maybe that's why your Dad was talking to Steiner about that particular Carburetor for the Tractor.  I offer Carburetor rebuilding also.  HTH
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 9:07am
     Steve in NJ does great work; he has done a couple starters and generators for me in the past. Converted the generators to 12 volt to keep the original look. No problems whatsoever. 
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 9:32am
Yeah Steve does good work . He rebuilt my D 15 starter and carb . He'll also answer any questions you may have .
ovlovwd45 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovlovwd45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by Steve in NJ Steve in NJ wrote:

I've been rebuilding starters for 50 years. If you're interested, you can send it here, and I'll rebuild the unit for you. If you leave it on 6V, I'll put one of our rewound arms in it and it'll spin over great on 6V. The rewound arm improves the torque output of the unit providing everything else in the system is in tip top shape.  

As I mentioned earlier, the 201 WD engine has the plate on the side of the engine. If it has a plate, its the 201 engine. If there is no plate, then the Tractor might have had a WD45 engine installed in it sometime in its life. The 226 version takes the TSX-464 Carburetor. Maybe that's why your Dad was talking to Steiner about that particular Carburetor for the Tractor.  I offer Carburetor rebuilding also.  HTH
Steve@B&B

Thanks for the offer.  I may end up taking you up on it down the road.  In the meantime I bought a remanufactured starter.  

The other one has a short I can't locate.  
ovlovwd45 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovlovwd45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 9:43pm
I did get it running today!

After installing the starter I found I had no spark.  I replaced the points and condenser.  Set the gap.  I had already replaced the cap, rotor, plugs, and wires.  Got a nice fat spark after that.

Still wouldn't start.  I finally realized the gas line was bone dry despite there being gas in the tank.  I guess there wasn't enough gas in the tank to get it flowing out of the sediment bowl?  I added some more.

After all that...

I didn't try driving it today.  I'm going to have to move a bunch of junk that's sitting behind it.  You can probably see in the video it's not the most ideal place to work on anything.  

Edited by ovlovwd45 - 21 Jun 2021 at 9:44pm
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 6:17am
Make sure you have oil pressure ! 

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 6:25am
ovlovwd45,
That tractor runs better than a new one! Awesome work getting it going. I love to get in and work on things in not great conditions for some reason? Just the way I grew up on the farm and around things. Doesn't bother me a bit. It really sounds good! 
Looking forward to seeing more!
 Regards,
 Chris
ovlovwd45 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovlovwd45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by WF owner WF owner wrote:

Make sure you have oil pressure ! 

I will make a point of that next time I work on it.  I forgot to even look at that gauge.  There's so much junk around the tractor it's hard to move from side to the other.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic