This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I didn't know that they figured stuff like this ou

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I didn't know that they figured stuff like this ou
    Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 6:44am
Yesterday, my job had me delivering to a place 20+ miles down southeast of Lemmon SD. From there, other than being 20 miles from Lemmon, which is not a big town, you are a long ways from anywhere. I mentioned to the rancher that was un-loading me that they were kind of a long ways from anywhere there. He laughed and agreed. Then proceeded to tell me that there was a point about 20 to 25 miles south of him that is the farthest away from a McDonald's as you can get in the lower 48 states. Basically, the worst place you could be at when you have a "big mac attack." By the same token, I am sure you would be about as far away from a Walmart as you could get, too. Therefore, I don't have to ever worry about my wife wanting to live down there. LOL! Darrel
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 6:53am
count your blessings! lol
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 6:54am
Sounds like my kind of place.
ihc pickups View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ihc pickups Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 8:14am
Sounds like a place I could live and I do not mind the cold weather.
Mike
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 8:17am
WOOHOO for that!! Wish I could Wish I might, sounds Like PARADISE!!
Gary in da UP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 8:36am
I'd bet that there are areas in Michigans Upper Penninsula that are just as remote.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 9:11am
I'm in a WallyWorld maybe 8-10 times a year, Haven't been in a McD's in maybe the same number of times in the last two or three years. So I could fit in there pretty well
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 9:30am
After My parents passed away and my former family forced me to quit farming, I was lucky enough in the short time I had to have found a place with still enough country left that I can truly realize what peace and quiet is. However if I ever move again it will be my choice, not someone else’s. I would be looking for a place at the far end of a dead end dirt road.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 10:01am
Originally posted by Gary in da UP Gary in da UP wrote:

I'd bet that there are areas in Michigans Upper Penninsula that are just as remote.
I bet you are right.  Haven't been on the "Seney Stretch" in a good many years, but I can't picture it having changed much!LOL  Maybe go about 1/2 way between Gwinn and Gladstone.  Went to a wedding in Bruce Crossing one time.  Old boy sitting at the bar, I asked if he was friends of the bride or groom.  He says, "Hell, I don't even know who got married!"LOLLOLLOL
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 10:14am
It's 43.1 miles from Gwinn to Gladstone MI.
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 10:19am
OK, but I doubt there's a Wally world in Gwinn!  But Gwinn is too close to Marquette to qualify for 40!
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by darrel in ND darrel in ND wrote:

Yesterday, my job had me delivering to a place 20+ miles down southeast of Lemmon SD. From there, other than being 20 miles from Lemmon, which is not a big town, you are a long ways from anywhere. I mentioned to the rancher that was un-loading me that they were kind of a long ways from anywhere there. He laughed and agreed. Then proceeded to tell me that there was a point about 20 to 25 miles south of him that is the farthest away from a McDonald's as you can get in the lower 48 states. Basically, the worst place you could be at when you have a "big mac attack." By the same token, I am sure you would be about as far away from a Walmart as you could get, too. Therefore, I don't have to ever worry about my wife wanting to live down there. LOL! Darrel

Dang, now I's hungry agin, and mickey dees gots 2 BM's fer a five spot! (pin intended!)Wink
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 6:49pm
I take the grandkids to McDs once a week... and the wife to Wal Mart about once a week or two. ........... about 6 miles to town........ but I got to drive an hour to get to Menards !

Edited by steve(ill) - 23 Jan 2019 at 6:50pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 7:50pm
Another day; another adventure. Today I was within a few miles of where Montana, Wyoming and South Dakota meet. Northwest of Belle Fourche SD. As I get around North Dakota, South Dakota, and Montana and see all of these wide open spaces, I have to wonder, "why the hell would anyone want to call a little cubicle in a high rise in the big city home?" Darrel
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 8:14pm
I have driven through the Great Seney Swamp a few times! No McDonald's and no Walmart for many miles in either direction. West of Marquette can be quite remote around Champion, although I have not been there in probably 20 years since my Brother in Law died. He graduated from Northern Michigan University and taught school in Paradise before moving to Traverse City.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 8:45pm
No Wally World close to the farm, they do have a Mickey D's in town, I've been there maybe 3 times in 20 years. I don't patronize Mc D's or Burger King. I love the peace and quiet at the farm.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 9:17pm
I live on 5 acres and its rural so I have it nice.  Probably 10 miles to town either way, and I don't go there very often.  I did have McD's just the day, 2 QP's for $5.  Walmart maybe once every two years.  But like Steve said, an hour to a Menards.  I always wanted to buy 40 acres square and build a house dead center.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 11:11am
Closest real town here is 20 miles, both East and West. Southeast its over 40. The villages in between don't have anything, not even a gas pump.
Never cared for Mc D or any fast food place, Wal- mart, 1 time in 2 years, Menards, 1 time in 4 years.
We grow our own food and get to town only for doctor appts. when weather is decent. Explorer won't start when temp's get below 25 degrees, diesel dead until late spring, pickup has oil pan dropped , BIG hole in it, weather took a s#*t, so I never got it finished.
Living out here on the tundra has dis-advantages but I sure would NOT like to live in town, or near town. nearest neighbor is across the river and never see them. It's still nice to be out here!
Get's rough in bad weather!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 11:25am
We are on 80 acres, nice comfy home, 4.5 miles to town with the only Cut rate stores a Dollar General and a SavALot food store. DO have three Wally Worlds less than 40 minutes in three different directions. One a known Tweaker hang out on cold days or severely hot ones, another a discount bargain overstock garbage warehouse and another pretty decent for grocer and clean reasonable inventory. We shop there when need large quantity as the local market tends to be adequate but not too impressive while handy for routine needs. Have three meat markets close by, great cuts of meat to all of them and two smoke processors in that three.

We tend to make Wally World the Bulk Commodities shop, TP, Paper towels, volume bulk dry foods, Canned goods and MY Coffee!!! Do not have clothing stores here anymore, nor much selection as to appliances so too we end up in that Wally World town to do that shopping. HAVE Not had McDonalds in seeming forever, that or KFC or Taco Bell, do not need a colon cleanse too often these days. Still LOVE Dairy Queen and Steak N Shake some smaller home style(NOT Chain) restaurants are really good there. They are our Splurge stops.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 11:40am
We’re 8 miles to a small town with a McDonalds but no Walmart. Rare for Arkansas town not to have Walmart.
If y’all ever get out in Eastern Colorado there are some remote places. I remember going through Pumpkin Center. Long ways from anything.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 2:24pm
"why the hell would anyone want to call a little cubicle in a high rise in the big city home?" Darrel
Be thankful they do!

I haven't been in Wally World in years, don't figure they need me money if they can't pay their people enough that they have to take food stamps to get by.  Go to Costco instead, happier people and better quality merchandise.   I do go to Mc D's fairly often as the irrigation water commissioner holds court there every Tuesday morning.  I could just call or text him but it's nice to see the other ditch riders now and then to hear the latest lies and stories.  The management seems to like us there, say's we keep the transients away.  Looking at our crowd, I think sometimes it would be hard to tell the difference!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 9:50pm
I grew up in a town of 7500,now I live by one getting close to 40,000. Unfortunately the same place. Guess I better not apply for a job at the chamber of commerceWink . Surrounded by citydots, only a couple of us every farmed or ran cattle. Of course I don't count most of the wino's as farmers Confused they come up with about every crazy thing to try.

But still not to hard to find places the citydots don't go. Would be more of a walk than most of us could make if you had car trouble in some the places.

We do make it handy for some though as there was in a Mick D's inside the Wally World, but now you have to walk across to the other side the parking lot. Some  one told me they put Burger King inside now. I don't go often but have to check oil and anti freeze prices. Cause ant none of the good o'l boys to buy from anymore. Three fuel jobbers will deliver, but only 2 have office to buy oil and filters from and they are expensive and not local so why.  
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 12:39am
live near a town of about 6500, have a wally world, a walgreens, a taco bell, a mickey d, a burger barf, a subway, all kinds of little coffee joints, a couple fitness places, a non 24 hour truck stop, and Cargill. and we is only about 20 miles from all this stuff in cities of 100,000 peoples. no good places to buy meat, we hafta go at least 45-50 miles each way for that. we can buy local meat on the hoof, but the butcher here steals so much of the meat on each animal. I go to wally world a lot when I can't sleep, it's fun to ride around the store on them little electric carts, and I can also stop and read labels on stuff and not be bothered by other people getting in my way. sometimes I find some amazing stuff there, and have learned that if you see something cool and it'll work for me in anyway, I better buy it then cuz when they sell it out, they usually won't re-stock that item. when walgreens came to town, they bought up all the other pharmacies in 2 counties and closed them. I feel sorry for the people that now hafta travel 20-40 miles now for their prescriptions. wally world also made a lot of our smaller but well stocked (things we all used) businesses have to close. bigger isn't better when they come to your/our towns. was at the local grocery store yesterday, (making my 3 meat stew) was looking over the meat counter, picked up a few cuts of various critters (made sure it was all from TYSON foods) and not imported. I did see some packages of "fresh caught" Alaskan walleye fillets, and marked on the tag "product of Vietnam"! I see canned mushrooms...a product of uraguay! read the labels on all the olive oil bottles...you are in for a suprise! read the labels folks.       
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 5:31am
 AHA,!!,,,,,so you use them little electric carts too,,,huh,,???Wink I usually do a pretty good imitation of a bum leg limp when I think somebody is lookin but most times you is in the clear cause people won't mess with old people,,,,,,, LOL Just kiddin,,now,,don't be callin the feds on me,,,,LOL
 Something I cannot figure out is a store will get a new product and you buy it and like it and,,,after 3-4 purchases,,,then,,they quit carryin it and you ask the mgr and their excuse is most times,,,"we don't order stuff,,the head office sends us what they want us to sell"  What,,? thas a heck of a way to run a business,,,!!! Whatever happened to "The customer is always right",,??
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 10:25am
I've a lot of experience selling to Walmart and helping them determine what products to place where.  They basically look at total sales from all retailers (not just theirs) selling within a given zip code....refer to it as "All Commodity Value".  That tells them what the total pie looks like and they then understand very well how to grab their share of it and a little more. 
What's really funny is when they start looking at these less populated locations (the Dakotas, parts of Nebraska, Wyoming, west Texas, etc) and have to start bunching zip codes together to get a meaningful sample.....that's what causes those interesting scenarios of getting snow shovels in west Texas and the "local beer" in North Dakota being Sierra Nevada! 
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 11:43am
Must be 20 or more years ago the local farm store, Big R, got bought out by an outfit called Country General.  Wasn't too bad at first but then when the inventory got sold out they started bringing in more and more of their stuff.  One summer all they had was sisal baling twine.  Nobody out here uses it, we all use plastic.  I asked the manager about it and he said he had talked to a manager in Ohio or somewhere back east, and they had a chit load of plastic they couldn't sell but no sisal.  Tried to get the corporate office to trade, "No! not they way we do things, we know what people want." They closed up a couple years later.  There were some real bargains on toys and other stuff.  Now we have Murdochs, out of Montana, who seem to understand customers better.  Of course we now have Tractor Supply too which helps keep prices in line.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 2:36pm
Yes if Walmart wants a product you make they tell you what they will pay for it also and they put big companies out of business if they won't or can't come down the the price they want to pay. Just look at Rubbermaid and just wait now they have everyone else out of business they will raise their prices. Look at what they are paying their truck drives now.

Edited by tadams(OH) - 25 Jan 2019 at 2:37pm
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Whatever happened to "The customer is always right",,??
It's still true Joe, but the store/company decides who is a customer....

Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

I would be looking for a place at the far end of a dead end dirt road. 
YES,,,,,,and with a stream through it and BIG hills on at least 3 sides.....

Born and raised in La Crosse and I have NEVER liked it here, but where else is there?  That's where I go all summer, to the farm.  I hate crowds, cars and noise.  Anyone who says that they like the silence out in the country hasn't got their ears on.  It's FAR FROM SILENT!  Birds, frogs, ducks, cows, streams, horses, and tractors,,,,,all the time.  Crickets at night and owls and ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,   There are cities because all the people who can't stand peace and quiet need a place to be,,,,,,,,AWAY from me!!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 9:41pm
Oh yeah, I know the guy who owns the liquor/beer distributorship.  When Walmart came to La Crosse, they DEMANDED he deliver on Sunday.  He told them his people don't work on Sundays as it is against his religion (Catholic).  They told him he either delivers or they'll go to another distributor.  (THAT is not legal in WI, but they would allow WallyWorld to do it)-(go figure that one out...)
So he offered it up to his employees and they agreed, as WallyWorld would be paying all the overtime for that day anyway.
Talk about money buying politicians.....
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 8:42am
Good point Ted.  It might not technically be peace and "quiet", but it certainly is peace!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic