This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I could sure use some good luck wishes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I could sure use some good luck wishes
    Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 11:48am
My days at HCI are numbered.
They’ve went predominantly Hispanic labor. Most of our guys are already gone. I’m promised my job but the conditions are just more than I’m willing to tolerate.
I’m in the process of getting my contractors license and get rolling again. Last time I was grandfathered in from a former employer. The recession forced me to close.
I’m gonna give it one more shot.
Keeping my job for a time until I’m just too busy to stay.
Sponsored Links

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 11:53am
Good luck and best wishes and some prayers on the way buddy.
Trust in God and let Him show you  the way as He always has a plan for us even though we aren't looking for it.  It'll work out, you'll see.  Unlike football.....LOL
Keep your chin up and just trust.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 12:02pm
Wishing you good luck
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 1:21pm
Yes, keep moving forward in the way you feel comfortable...knowing your decisions are for you....... and your family.......................prayers
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 3:01pm
I've said before and I'll say again, don't be afraid of your possibilities. I walked away from a good paying job to go back to the farm and be home with the kids more. I was scared to death. I work more now than ever before but I just got back from getting the kids from school which is exactly what I wanted. To often we're scared of change and scared of the unknown when, actually, it's exactly what we want.
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 6:52pm
The hispanic labor is a problem - and will contiunally be that - and it needs to be taken care of , but nobody will do that - if I were you , in your trade - custom homes is a very big money maker now - although lumber prices are nuts, ppl seem to be full steam ahead with the guys around central Mo are backed up 12 months and hard at it
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 7:00pm
The hispanic labor is a problem - and will contiunally be that - and it needs to be taken care of , but nobody will do that - if I were you , in your trade - custom homes is a very big money maker now - although lumber prices are nuts, ppl seem to be full steam ahead with the guys around central Mo are backed up 12 months and hard at it
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 7:03pm

When I went to work for another contractor years ago I was scared too. But my only regret was that I didn't do it sooner! As far as Taco Farmers go (don't beat me up too bad) I'm not sure they are taking the work as much as we are giving it to them. When I retired 2 years ago I was replaced by Mexicans. The company couldn't hire anyone that was worth keeping around. I've worked around them and yes some are good some not so good. We have created a country that helps people do nothing instead of helping them do something. End of rant. Hope you will still help me with tractor questions!!!
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 8:04pm
When we built our chicken houses, the only workers that weren't hispanic we're the truck drivers and the concrete crew. Surprisingly, out of 2 concrete crews with 5 to 6 people per crew, only 1 was hispanic and he spoke very good English. I have to hand it to the hispanics though, they were sh#tin and gettin while they were here. Only problem I had with them was the beer cans and bottles I kept finding. I brought it up to the supervisor and told him I didn't want it here. Then I started finding them in boxes and under rocks.
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 9:10pm
It gets better! Its all in how you look at things. Being your own boss has its own rewards! Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 5:13am
Heard a kid(Mid twenties) whining at a store clerk in Washington MO, was upset that his favorite goods were not being restocked fast enough so there would be plenty when HE needed it.  Was Soda and some kind of snack cakes.  The clerk explained the schedules of deliveries where if ran out before he got there would be more as of next delivery.  The clerk then suggested he try another store but pointed out that the sub contract suppliers would generally deliver to a area in total on same day.

Saw the kid do the Deer in Headlights blink.  Clerk asked why didn't the young man come in on delivery day? to which the kid stated he and friends were busy that day.  Working? was next where was responded to as 'in gaming day' where they could not change the date.  Clerk stated good luck and walked away, kid walked around store for a few minutes then found his parents as they finished shopping and they all left.

The youth today are pretty much defined USELESS.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 6:23am
These aren’t gamers living in mommas basement loosing jobs these are family men with a wife and kids that have been loyal and risked death many a time for the job. Yes we do get some young and lazy. These guys are asked to be a human fork lift a human backhoe and spider man daily.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 6:37am
Thad why did they make the decision to go Hispanic? I know it's tough to be the NEW guy. But the sad thing is to be pushed aside when you have been a dedicated employee. Time to move on and be happy. 
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 7:12am
Originally posted by mdm1 mdm1 wrote:

Thad why did they make the decision to go Hispanic? I know it's tough to be the NEW guy. But the sad thing is to be pushed aside when you have been a dedicated employee. Time to move on and be happy. 

I’ve been with this company 10 + years. These guys are well paid craftsmen. These big houses were building are getting expensive due to material cost. Material is through the roof. There is only one area where cost can be saved and that is labor.
We’re not allowed safety equipment or scaffold anymore as it takes too long to set up or tear down. Hero in mind these houses are huge and built on bluffs over looking a lake or River. Do it from ladders or he’ll find someone who will. We’ve already had a couple bad accidents in the last year. I don’t care to see anymore.
These guys don’t have workmans comp.
we have a saying, if you fall you’re fired before you hit the ground.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 7:21am
Best wishes to ya' Thad.  Sounds time for a change, hope you find a happier situation.
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 10:19am
Best wishes know the feeling
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 11:26am

Hey Thad,,,you know,,I really thought I HAD responded to your thread but,,,,my friggin memory musta went south for a bit,,,,,WinkWink
 I feel for ya My Friend,,,,but whatever decision you make,,,do it based on the fact that ain't nuttin gonna change for the better for the next 3 1/2 years,,,and then hope most Americans are sick of current administration enough to elect somebody that cares about immigration control problems.
 I'm betting your reputation as a Quality Craftsman will keep you in work should you decide to get your own business. I'll be rootin for you and Ms Jenn,,!!Clap
Bob D. (La) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob D. (La) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 12:53pm
Keep on keepen on Thad. With your skill and work ethic, the worlds the limit. It will be scary, but in a year, you will realize the scary part was not taking action sooner. 
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by thendrix thendrix wrote:

I've said before and I'll say again, don't be afraid of your possibilities. I walked away from a good paying job to go back to the farm and be home with the kids more. I was scared to death. I work more now than ever before but I just got back from getting the kids from school which is exactly what I wanted. To often we're scared of change and scared of the unknown when, actually, it's exactly what we want.

'To often we're scared of change and scared of the unknown when, actually, it's exactly what we want.'

Is that not the truth! Clap
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 4:16pm
Thad,
you wrote-
I’ve been with this company 10 + years. These guys are well paid craftsmen. These big houses were building are getting expensive due to material cost. Material is through the roof. There is only one area where cost can be saved and that is labor.
We’re not allowed safety equipment or scaffold anymore as it takes too long to set up or tear down. Hero in mind these houses are huge and built on bluffs over looking a lake or River. Do it from ladders or he’ll find someone who will. We’ve already had a couple bad accidents in the last year. I don’t care to see anymore.
These guys don’t have workmans comp.
we have a saying, if you fall you’re fired before you hit the ground. "

Sounds like the Lord maybe leading you to a better, safer happier job! Prayers for you.. Be careful! You don't need to be one of those who get hurt!
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
DON G View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DON G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by thendrix thendrix wrote:

I did the same thing in 1969. Kids grow up so fast. Four of them still live on our section. Thankful to see um grow up and stay around.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 11:13pm
you are a GOOD family man! they are hard to find this day and age. they need you as you are and not laid up or even (gasp) dead! with your talents i think you can find a better place to use them. pay is important, but not as important than your health and well being. life is to short! if you feel you must move on...then do it. you shouldn't be disappointed. Jenn and the kids will love you just the same. i pray you'll find a happier life moving up!  
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 12:07am
You can use ALL of the people that you have built "quality" homes for to compete in todays market.  Won't be a problem for you.  There are enough Americans that want that kind of home built.  Or for that matter, anything QUALITY built.  It doesn't happen enough anymore.  I think everybody around here anyway, knows what we mean when we say 'stick built'.
GO fo it, you have nothing to lose but a 'job'.  Wouldn't it be nicer to go to 'work'?  Trust the good Lord, your gut and Jenn.  How does SHE feel about it?
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 5:37am
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

You can use ALL of the people that you have built "quality" homes for to compete in todays market.  Won't be a problem for you.  There are enough Americans that want that kind of home built.  Or for that matter, anything QUALITY built.  It doesn't happen enough anymore.  I think everybody around here anyway, knows what we mean when we say 'stick built'.
GO fo it, you have nothing to lose but a 'job'.  Wouldn't it be nicer to go to 'work'?  Trust the good Lord, your gut and Jenn.  How does SHE feel about it?

Ted, honestly she is concerned.
She knows well the stress that will come with this. She knows about the after hour phone calls and the modern era I want my new house yesterday type of home owners.
She knows about the material shortages and high prices were facing. SheS nervous just like me.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 6:49am
I don't know if you prefer finishing or roughing but what about subbing to other contractors? A finisher could work by himself or bring in another finisher if needed. That has been the trend in the trades around here. One of the biggest home builders hasn't had a crew for a long time. Everything is subbed. You would still be working for yourself but would not have to deal with materials etc, just your labor and tools. Do your job and go home. General deals with the rest! You could still do your jobs if you chose. 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 8:50am
Originally posted by mdm1 mdm1 wrote:

I don't know if you prefer finishing or roughing but what about subbing to other contractors? A finisher could work by himself or bring in another finisher if needed. That has been the trend in the trades around here. One of the biggest home builders hasn't had a crew for a long time. Everything is subbed. You would still be working for yourself but would not have to deal with materials etc, just your labor and tools. Do your job and go home. General deals with the rest! You could still do your jobs if you chose. 

That is exactly what I do now except we do all phases. Not roofing or much drywall finishing.
I much prefer finish work these days. My days of framing huge steep houses are over for the most part.
Boss pays us as subs but treats us as employees.
The sub deal is only for tax and insurance purposes.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 11:05am
I kinda thought maybe that's what was going on. It may be the same where you are but WI cracked down on that type of employee setup a few years ago. If a certain % of your income is from one place then you are a legal employee. Hey good luck with whatever you do!! Glad to hear you don't do much drywall finishing. That was my trade.
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 11:22am
Thad, I would think if you can do remodel and small additions and such that you would be so swamped you would have to turn down work.  A guy I had do a couple bathroom remodels worked at the phone company until he retired(around 57) and was doing part time jobs on the side, his family built houses for a living and he pretty much does everything from cabinets to electrical.  His work isn't perfect but it's pretty darn good and he has so much work now that he's retired you can't get him unless you are willing to wait, most are willing to wait.  Do a good job, get it done when you show up and word travels fast, word of mouth is the best advertisement ever.  I hope it all works out well for you also, good luck!

Oh, the guy that did my work calls his co.  Two Weeks,  when you ask him when he can get there he says two weeks, if he's not there he says be about another two weeks, when he shows up he says it will take him two weeks, when you ask how much longer he say two weeks. Wink   Yep both times he was at my place it took him two weeks.LOL
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 1:18am
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

Boss pays us as subs but treats us as employees.
The sub deal is only for tax and insurance purposes.

MDM1 is spot on... when you find your 'subcontracting' is predominantly through one source, you are a de-facto 'employee'.

You COULD take a fighting stance for it, and possibly find some gain, but from the other perspective, doing so wouldn't advance your current situation, and even worse, it would increase the stress level for you and Jenn, while not bolstering your domestic economics.

So pulling a plug and finding anew is a proper move.

Networking in a way that finds paths towards your niche is the highest likelyhood of success... but you may also find that your experience grants you wisdom and capacity to be even more valuable in ways you hadn't considered, so CONSTANTLY ask yourself what you CAN do, that is NOT in your 'ordinary' dance card... and if it is something you CAN do well, and is EASY for you to do, perhaps your calling is a bit higher.Wink
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 9:48am

Hey Thad,,,MdM1 and Dave are correct, in that your safety is being jeapordized every day you show up to work for your current "Boss". I have no idea where Arkansas stands re: Workman's Comp responsibilities for the employers,but sure sounds like he is taking advantage of you and your fellow workers. In most places WC has come a long ways towards protecting the employees from unscrupolous AH's like the Boss,,,!!!
 There ain't no way I would work for somebody with those underhanded rules especially in the construction of houses where you have to be above ground,,,one slip and there goes everything. I thought it was kinda funny when you said,,,"If you take a fall, you will be fired before you hit the ground",,,,in truth,,it ain't funny when you consider what is fixin to happen should ever do fall or get hurt. This sitiation IS VERY serious for all those folks working for that AH,,,!!! GOOD LUCK,,my friend.Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic