This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I changed my mind

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I changed my mind
    Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 8:04am
I haven't had a drink since I don't know when, nothing dramatic just gravitated away from it.  Lately I've seen these advertisements online for this small still that makes 2-1/2 gallon and I have enough stuff and ability to make one of these and I thought it would be fun to make a couple gallon of whiskey.  I did the research and found out that once I build the still, I have to make the moonshine, then I have to store it in oak barrels for a minimum of 2 years to turn it to whiskey.  By that time I'd probably be out of the notion.  To quote the Snowman, Pffffttt.
Maximum use of available resources!
Sponsored Links

Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 8:11am
You don't have to wait 2 years, that is unless you are worried about your eyesight
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 8:21am
JW, I started to construct a still, but I was told Federal law prohibits making any alcohol without a Federal license. I gave the project up.

I never really cared for hard liquor anyhow, I'm more of a beer and wine guy. I was just going to built the still for something fun to do
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 9:01am
A US Citizen can produce for their own personal use, there is hefty fee for the distilling of alcohol EVEN at home. USA.Gov

Is a distinct art to distilling, are bad products at Both ends have to be discarded and special consideration as to timing to rid those, called Heads and Tails where can be actually poisonous if just not downright nasty tasting.

All too easy to buy a small batch bottle of specialty distilled spirits and nibble at it over time. We have THREE distillers close by, have TN and KY with VAST amounts of distilled spirits all legal and many Quite Tasty!!

Edited by DMiller - 02 Feb 2019 at 9:04am
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 9:46am
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

All too easy to buy a small batch bottle of specialty distilled spirits and nibble at it over time. We have THREE distillers close by, have TN and KY with VAST amounts of distilled spirits all legal and many Quite Tasty!!

Like Lou, it was more the novelty of the thing for me.  Besides, I think I have three bottles of Crown Royal in the shop people have given me for fixing stuff for them, one has been in the refrigerator for at least 3 years, still in the box with the 4 glasses.  I read once that a person should keep a bottle of Crown for special occasions, sometimes the special occasion is you have a bottle of Crown.
Hey DMiller, is the Winchester still open down there?
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 10:36am
For those in a hurry they sell drops for instant whiskey flavoring at most complete brewing shops.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 4:48pm
that's why you puts the still in the underground bunker! then don't tells NOBODY!
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 10:05pm
JW, bring at least one of those bottles to Hutch this year,,,,,,,it'll be a special occasion.  That's sippin stuff.

I thought about brewing some of my own beer one time, but after I figured it out, it was just TOOooo expensive.  A lot cheaper to buy in the store.

Now wine on the other hand.....if it'll rot, it'll ferment and you can make wine out of it.  My best,,,,,,,,,dandelion and tomato wine.  Both are crystal clear and will give you a guaranteed headache if you over imbibe....
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 3:37am
I had sum orange wine given to us last Christmas, that was sum awesum wine, brewed out in CA. when I looked up the company on the web...they didn't mention this wine, so I e-mailed them and they e-mailed me back just thanking me for enjoying the wine, nothing else. haven't been able to find it since. shucks i'd buy a case of that stuff! now I can't find the name of the winery! PffffT!
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 5:29pm
I bought a set of front spoke rims for my Continental U from a guy in mid central Missouri several years ago, got the rims and he gave us a bottle of grape wine he made that summer, tasted real good but it sure had a kick to it.
A pair of bachelor brothers back home were known back during prohibition for having a still and running shine but were well connected so they never got caught and nobody ever knew what happened to the still.  Afterwards they made grape wine every year and it was probably the best homemade stuff I ever tasted but a feller best not drink much of it either.  They claimed they added a little grain alcohol to keep it from turning to sugar, nobody knows for sure what they put in it or where and when it came from, but we all had an idea.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic