This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hydraulic oil change

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonross51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hydraulic oil change
    Posted: 11 May 2021 at 8:35pm
Hello
I have a b allis chalmers and I want to change the hydraulic oil in the tractor.
When I engage the pto and go to use the lift arms the will go up but not down it’s like they get stuck. I need info on
1. How to change the oil
2. Why does the lift go up and not down and will new Fluid help the problem
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 9:00pm
there are 3 pipe plugs on the bottom of the transmission, bevel gear, and pto housing. Drain all 3. About 8 quarts total.  You can refill with Universal Tractor Fluid from Farm Store, Napa or Wal Mart, etc.... If there is water in the oil, it COULD effect the operation. More likely something is sticking in the pump/ valve unit.. Possibly new oil will wash it out or allow the piston to free up... Its worth a try.

also inspect the valve from the outside. There are two  round plates  ( about 3 inches diameter) laying on top of each other. One is attached to the hydraulic lever, the other is attached to the valve shaft.. Spring between them... look it over and make sure nothing is BENT or BINDING and the plate is attached to the valve rod. ... maybe spray the assembly with CRUD CLEANER if it is covered with crap.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 9:06pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 9:11pm
John, you realize the system is POWER to lift and the arms FLOAT down and push the oil back out of the cylinders ?  If you have no WEIGHT on the arms, then will not go down.. You need a blade, bucket, weight, something on the arm to push it down.... You can actually stand on the arm and  pull the hyd lever up and it will raise you and the arm.  Let the lever go to mid range and it will HOLD... PUSH the lever forward and your weight should make the arm drop.
Jonross51 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonross51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 9:12pm
Thanks for the pic
Is there any specific oil weight I should use.
I’ve looked at the pump itself and nothing seams to be broke or bound up so idk hopefully changing the fluid will help
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 9:15pm
Most everyone uses Universal Tractor Fluid these days.. It is similar to a 20 wt ( maybe 30w) non detergent oil.  The old B is not very sophisticated... about anything will work.... just dont get too thick or it will have trouble in the winter. .... 20 wt hydraulic fluid would be fine.
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 8:57am
I still use SAE 20W in my CA.  But, if you use that oil, make sure it is non-detergent oil.  Detergent oil will "foam up" and cause problems.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic