This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Humming Bird War

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Humming Bird War
    Posted: 21 Aug 2021 at 8:45am
Looks like it is under full swing now. Started a couple of days ago. Female migration must have begun. We have 3 feeders out and a half dozen are so busy trying to keep each other out they don't get much of anything. As small as they are they can get real nasty. You can hear them bouncing off each other.

The real knockdown begins in about a month when the males start there migration. 
I can't even go out there without getting dive bombed if I get to close.
Good entertainment.

Now I just have to get rid of a groundhog that's eating my tomatoes.
He knows I'm after him.
Sponsored Links

ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2021 at 10:51am
     Seems like the male hummers fight all season around here. They really get aggressive some times. We have two feeders and two birds can't even share; one has to run the one at the other feeder away. Lots of little chirps between them too.
      The past 3-4 days there have hardly been any other birds at the sunflower seed feeder. Previously there were sometimes 8-10 blue jays hanging around, some red headed woodpeckers with some of their offspring, downy woodpeckers, cardinals, finches and others. Now barely anything except a few mourning doves and an occasional sparrow. Wonder what happened. Any ideas? 
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2021 at 11:05am
Hummingbirds here too for the last few days. They come up and look you right in the eye! neat little birds!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2021 at 1:46pm
I have a pineapple plant under our feeder and 1 male sets on it and trys to run others off, if 2 females come up and he's not around they both eat.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2021 at 6:22pm
Our feeders (5) drain daily, look like house flies on a terd pile when wife hangs them back out.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2021 at 6:49pm
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2021 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by ac hunter ac hunter wrote:

Seems like the male hummers fight all season around here. They really get aggressive some times. We have two feeders and two birds can't even share; one has to run the one at the other feeder away. Lots of little chirps between them too.
      The past 3-4 days there have hardly been any other birds at the sunflower seed feeder. Previously there were sometimes 8-10 blue jays hanging around, some red headed woodpeckers with some of their offspring, downy woodpeckers, cardinals, finches and others. Now barely anything except a few mourning doves and an occasional sparrow. Wonder what happened. Any ideas? 
There is/was a virus going around, local news was requesting everyone take the feeders down. Supposedly it was coming from Ohio into Pa. I don't know if what you are seeing is a result of that or not.
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 8:51am
LouSWPA,
     Haven't heard about that virus. Suppose I should remove the feeder for a while, no birds anyway. I suppose we humans shouldn't have the only virus. Thanks for the info.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 1:07pm
Yup, I've got 8 feeders up and they hold 32ozs.  They are gone in a day/day and a half.  Fun to watch but you have to get the heck out of the way when the party starts!  Usually around 4 o'clock in the afternoon.
I've only seen one kill another.  They sure make a racket when they are doing that loop to scare the other one.
I only use sugar water and NO DYE!  That red stuff the Hummer companies try to foist,,,,,,,do they read what's in it?!?  It's bad for humans, much less these little beauties.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2021 at 10:44am
Originally posted by LouSWPA LouSWPA wrote:

Originally posted by ac hunter ac hunter wrote:

There is/was a virus going around, local news was requesting everyone take the feeders down. Supposedly it was coming from Ohio into Pa. I don't know if what you are seeing is a result of that or not.

This is a great opportunity for someone to start the making masks for hummingbirds, they say two masks work better than one.Big smile 

Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2021 at 8:52pm
The migration pattern must have changed for us this year because we are usually going through a gallon of food in 4-5 days but not this year. have just 3-4 birds all summer long.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic