This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How Far Can Electricity Travel ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How Far Can Electricity Travel ??
    Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 6:06pm
I'm asking about the O/H power lines on rural country roads Tongue. I understand that there are "distribution" stations for the "mega" lines, but what/s the "limit" of residential single phase power ? Thanks
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 7:39pm
Up here,usually, in residential areas, the highest set of wires are the 3 phase ones, each is 4800 volts.
A transformer is fed from one of them , to supply 240 V,center tapped(120 -0 - 120), to usually 3-4 houses. I think the transformer is speced for 5 x 200A services ?
The 'limit' would be miles, for the 4800 V lines, 100s of feet for the 240.
Several factors come into play, like age of wires, wire size, type of conductor,number of splices, current  draw, air temperature.
if you're the only one on the 'pole', you'll have higher voltage and not much power's being used to 'load down' the transformer.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 8:22pm
the design factor is a loss of 3% voltage at the end of the run... If the loss is greater than 3%, you have to increase wire size, shorten the distance .   4800 v that Jay is talking about is residential... Power line down the  State Highways are 69,000 or 138,000 volts. substation every several miles to BOOST the voltage back up.. If you traveling city to city, the voltage might be 345,000 volts.  ( a 3% loss would be 10,000 volts !)

I ran a 500 ft line around a pond by our house. 240 v line, 20 amps..... had to put in #4 gauge wire to keep within the 3% loss ( 8 volt drop) ..... If you were using a 12 gauge extension cord you would probably have 180 volts at the end.

Edited by steve(ill) - 19 Jul 2021 at 8:24pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 8:28pm
residential single phase power in our part of Illinois is 7000 volts.  Two wires on the pole, HOT and GROUND.... When you get to a farm, there is a small transformer on the pole to drop the 7000 volts to 240 volts.. Transformer should be within 100 ft of your breaker box ( normally).  Each farm/ house has their own transformer.  If there are two small houses side by side or across the street from each other, them "MAY" share one transformer.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 3:29am
Steve it is actually 7200 vac
Transmission substations are where the delivery of major power station production is split up, usually station to station but as near here is a major hub where four stations power is directed to is transformed from two from a lower voltage to a common higher voltage here is from 34000v to 365000v and then sent on three transmission lines to major cities or rural step down stations reducing to 34000v. Distribution substations are generally located within a few miles of a transmission sub these will serve a small town or industry with transformer dropping from 34000 to a lower voltage 7200 feed.

May see rural grid loops of several square miles off one distribution substation with limited customer numbers or only a local supply sub with numerous customers. The main limiter is the amperage delivery rate.

Want to note
Electricity does not actually ‘travel’. Electricity is generated as a force much as a gravitational wave and just Exists, electron transfer of energy is the actual process where the energy is on the line nearly as instantly as is generated at all points along the line.

DC electrical flows from source to ground at the source losing value as is utilized, AC changes ‘direction’ sixty times a second or in frequency or cycles and really does not go to ground in doing so but swaps return to feed on the Neutral line even as is grounded that same 60 cycles a second.

Edited by DMiller - 20 Jul 2021 at 3:38am
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 9:53am
My driveway is a 1/2 mile. There are 4 boxes from the road to the house. Green and about 3' square.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 11:24am
Normally those "green boxes 3 ft square" are transformers setting on the ground for "underground power cables"... Not sure why they would have 4 in 1/2 mile.  Is there a house by each box ?  Normally you would feed a 7000 volt cable underground the the transformer, then drop it to 240 v to feed that house... then continue with 7000 volts to the next "box" and drop to 240v for the next house, etc...

--- are the transformers spaced several hundred feet apart between the road and house, or are all 4 at the road side by side ?

Edited by steve(ill) - 20 Jul 2021 at 11:29am
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 12:27pm
One house, mine. I figured they may just be junction boxes, don't know.
Never opened one, they have a lock on them. Opened one and the electricity police come
and say means things to you.
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 12:28pm
500ft apart there about's, maybe more.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 12:30pm
Instead of digging a trench, maybe the bored a hole and pulled the power cable thru.. Might be they could only drill 800 ft at a time ?  the "box" might just be a termination cabinet and not a transformer.. I have never seen a setup like your talking about.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 12:34pm
YEP... the lock on the cabinet is the same as the lock on the sub station.. Mostly for YOUR SAFETY.. Dont want to play around with  7000 volts... or 69,000 or above.. Some of the higher voltages can  JUMP a foot or two if you get too close..
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 12:41pm
Maybe they thought that at some point the property may be subdivided and four more houses would be built along that stretch?
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 1:08pm
I think it was one of those trenchers that chews  through rock. Only have a few feet of dirt. I know because I moved the mountain of rocksalong that half mile. House wasn't finished when I bought it. Subdividing is not zoned in this part of the county
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 1:13pm
Well thats an odd ball.. All i can think of is they are junction boxes and the guys were using up several short pieces of wire , instead of one long 1/2 mile run ?

Is there a Transformer at your house to drop the HIGH voltage to  240 v or does that happen several hundred feet away ?
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 1:15pm
No, just 1 at the pole at the road
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 3:38pm
well that is odd... the one on the pole has to drop from 7000v ( or 13,000) down to 240 volts for your house.. 240 v can not run 1/2 mile... They must have put  1 or 2 of the "green boxes" as STEP UP transformers to get back up to 240 v... a couple could just be junction boxes i guess......... would be nice to know what they did and why ?  Seems odd to drop to 240v when your 1/2 mile from the house.... and then need Boosters ?? 
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by fixer1958 fixer1958 wrote:

My driveway is a 1/2 mile. There are 4 boxes from the road to the house. Green and about 3' square.

In my experience, those are transformers for "residential subdivisions" that have their electric supplied underground Wink. Thanks for the reply to you and all of the other posters !!
My apologies to Steve, I failed to read down further to see the same reply Embarrassed !!

Edited by FREEDGUY - 20 Jul 2021 at 6:20pm
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

well that is odd... the one on the pole has to drop from 7000v ( or 13,000) down to 240 volts for your house.. 240 v can not run 1/2 mile... They must have put  1 or 2 of the "green boxes" as STEP UP transformers to get back up to 240 v... a couple could just be junction boxes i guess......... would be nice to know what they did and why ?  Seems odd to drop to 240v when your 1/2 mile from the house.... and then need Boosters ?? 

My first thought from his post  made me think of a "future" subdivision that he's not aware of Confused ??
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 7:06pm
nope... he said they are on HIS PROPERTY along the drive way.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic